PDA

View Full Version : Sid, what do you mean...

Thamnophis
02-11-2007, 07:14 PM
...with the name Mesoamerican.
Saw this picture in your gallery.

http://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//522/Mesoamerican.jpg

Sid
02-11-2007, 07:26 PM
The photo was simply posted with Scott Felzer's permission as a Mesoamerican Highlands. He has it pictured on his site. Do you feel it is incorrect? If so, either let me know and I'll remove or you're welcome to yourself.

Sid

Cazador
02-11-2007, 09:26 PM
"Meso" is a Latin term, meaning "middle." In this case, it's referring to North America, Meso (or Central) America, and South America.

ClosedCasket88
02-11-2007, 10:18 PM
looks to me as it appears to be a mexican garter snake . or whutever else ya wanta call it

ssssnakeluvr
02-11-2007, 10:48 PM
that's also the name given in rossman's book Garter snakes:evolution and ecology. smaller species, from mexico

Daniel
02-12-2007, 03:53 AM
Why donīt you simply use the scientific name for snakes. Itīs much easier and everybody knows what weīre talking about, without having seen the snake.

This one would be Thamnophis fulvus.

In German we also have trivial names for some snakes. There is one garter snake, that is named "Mexikanische Strumpfbandnatter" or freely translated "mexican garter snake". The scientific name for this snake is Thamnophis eques eques.

So we do have the trivial name "mexican garter snake" for Thamnophis fulvus as well as for T. e. eques. A little bit confusing, donīt you think? When using only the scientifc names you wonīt have such problems.

Just my two cents.

Best wishes,

Daniel

GarterGuy
02-12-2007, 09:34 AM
Totally agree with you Daniel, it's just sooooo much easier to use the scientific names to avoid any confusion. Although so many dealers do not, so someone who has say an Oregon Redsided, may not know it's a Thamnophis sirtalis concinnus....so sometimes we need to be able to "translate" the common names as well.
Roy

Thamnophis
02-12-2007, 08:13 PM
Thanks for the answer, Sid (and others).

And I totally agree with Daniel: use the scientific names!

GGarter
02-13-2007, 08:47 AM
Why not make a list of all the garter species with scientigic names and various popular names, put on the forum like the caresheets?

I would love to have one list once and for all, so you don't get the different species and subspecies mixed up, because you jump from website to website trying to figure out which is what....