PDA

View Full Version : Do garters get the blue eyes?

Sitting_duck
11-23-2008, 11:40 AM
Do garters get blue eyes when they're about to shed? if they do, should one provide a humid hide?

Charlet_2007
11-23-2008, 12:07 PM
all snakes go in the blue phase.. I mist down my snakes 2-3 time a day regardless so it help them shed easier.. :D:D

Edit:
Sorry let me clear my self.. I have snakes that need high humidity.. Garters do fine with out misting..

adamanteus
11-23-2008, 12:18 PM
I make no special arrangements when my snakes are sloughing, never have any problems.

Stefan-A
11-23-2008, 12:38 PM
I try to make special arrangements. ;) I overestimated the humidity last time one of my snakes shed and the result was a completely failure. I don't want to make it into some kind of science, but my snakes start getting problems when the humidity goes below 40% and this time of year it's very likely to happen, so I try to provide my snakes with humid hides or at least mist them generously when I see that they're planning to shed.

Sid
11-23-2008, 12:40 PM
I make no special arrangements when my snakes are sloughing, never have any problems.
Same as James. Just be sure your water bowl is sized ( diameter, not depth) to keep the humidity level where it should be.

adamanteus
11-23-2008, 12:42 PM
Good point, Sid. My water bowls are relatively large I guess, I never need to mist my tanks.

Stefan-A
11-23-2008, 12:48 PM
I would have to cover most of the enclosure with water dishes to get the humidity up. My hygrometer tells me the humidity in the room is 25% at the moment.

But that's just my situation, doesn't necessarily apply to anybody else. :)

Sitting_duck
11-23-2008, 02:10 PM
Thanks for all the responses, =).

So just to clarify, they do get blue eyes when they're going to shed.

When you see the blue eyes, how long (generally) until you see the first piece of skin to shed?

adamanteus
11-23-2008, 02:16 PM
Yes, they get the blue eyes. After a few days the blue will disappear, leaving the snake looking dull. Within a couple of days the snake should slough.
Hopefully you won't see "pieces of skin".... one complete slough is what we would hope for.

infernalis
11-23-2008, 03:12 PM
And right after the shed, they are the brightest, shiniest and prettiest things you will ever lay eyes on.......

Well, if you hang around here they are:D

Sitting_duck
11-23-2008, 04:11 PM
James, I know it should be a full shed, I just wasn't sure on how to word that correctly.

There are these "garters" in the pet store around me, I say it with the quotations because I'm not sure what kind or if they are.

They are blackish/dark colored, with green stripes going down their sides.
They're are the size of the garters that I see.

Also, does anyone know if gopher snakes are good pets? I've been starting to see some of those around here, I caught one and held it for a while, but I just put it down.

infernalis
11-23-2008, 04:20 PM
I would have to cover most of the enclosure with water dishes to get the humidity up. My hygrometer tells me the humidity in the room is 25% at the moment.

But that's just my situation, doesn't necessarily apply to anybody else. :)

Similar here Stefan, My water bowls evaporate dry if I don't keep them topped off frequently.

Sitting_duck
11-23-2008, 04:24 PM
This is sort of off topic for this thread, but I may as well ask.

What are good temperatures for garters?

Underneath my light theres is a half log hide. On top of the hide, it's 91F. Below the hide, its 85F.

On the cool side its 70-75F.

adamanteus
11-23-2008, 04:34 PM
That sounds just a little on the warm side, Austin.... I think you could afford to drop a degree or two.... but then I keep my Garters a little cooler than a lot of members.

It's hard to say what the 'Garters' in the pet shop you describe might be without seeing a picture, or a more detailed description.

And yes, Gopher Snakes make excellent captives.

infernalis
11-23-2008, 04:47 PM
I feel the same way as James on that issue.

There are NO heaters or "basking" lamps on ANY of my garter enclosures.

While the females are preggers, I use a heat rock turned down low so it only heats to like 85-90(F) (baby bottle warm)

The pregnant snakes seem to like sitting on it while the sprogs develop inside.

Going to get me one of those IR temp guns from pro-exotics, then I can be really certain...

I like the rock to feel lukewarm, not hot, nor uncomfortable to rest my hand on for any length of time.

Back to your statement, that is too warm.

crzy_kevo
11-23-2008, 04:54 PM
i tend to keep my warm side at around 85ish i have 2 thermometers on that side to be certain i have a liquid crystal one on the glass and a meat thermometerattached to the branch my cool side stays at about 75-77 which is aceptable to me since i like my room temp to be 73ish

the snakes seem to enjoy the warm side often so i dont think there is anything wrong :D its like a warm summer day for them :D

infernalis
11-23-2008, 05:45 PM
I may have been misleading here....

The whole reptile room is 79.2 right now.

so adding any other heat source would push it over the top for the garters.

45% humidity

Gotta love these digital weather stations.

guidofatherof5
11-23-2008, 07:34 PM
Many of mine make uses of the water dish and start their shed on the side of the dish. Many times I find the shed completely around the dish. Be sure that there shed is complete as I have seen circulating problems with ones who don't shed the entire tail. Some have lost this small area of tail from what I'm guessing is poor circulation due to the constrictive(smaller size skin) natural of the old shed. There is no real expansion and constriction of this area. No respiration and food changing the diameter of the tail section assisting in the shed. This is just my observations and opinion.

ssssnakeluvr
11-23-2008, 07:38 PM
Also, does anyone know if gopher snakes are good pets? I've been starting to see some of those around here, I caught one and held it for a while, but I just put it down.

yes they do..have had a few over the years....eat lots of mice!!!!!

Sitting_duck
11-23-2008, 08:25 PM
Wow, I love this forum, so many people willing to respond =).

Thanks guys & girls.

So, What If I lower the warm side to 85, and the cool side stays at 70-75? Does that sound good?

Sitting_duck
11-23-2008, 08:31 PM
Ok, it looks sort of like this ribbon snake. Except, with out the orange on the top.
http://fanweb.ca/alberta-natural-history/amphibians/plains-garter-snake/plains-garter-snake_500.jpg

ssssnakeluvr
11-23-2008, 09:35 PM
Ok, it looks sort of like this ribbon snake. Except, with out the orange on the top.
http://fanweb.ca/alberta-natural-history/amphibians/plains-garter-snake/plains-garter-snake_500.jpg
ummmm....thats not a ribbon....plains garter.... :cool:

infernalis
11-23-2008, 09:36 PM
Thamnophis Radix.....:D

Sitting_duck
11-23-2008, 10:38 PM
ummmm....thats not a ribbon....plains garter.... :cool:

The site where I read it from called it a ribbon, my mistake. Maybe I just read it wrong, either way, thanks :).

I'll try and describe the snake a little better. Well, it's very simple. Black, with a green stripe going down each side of the snake. No other colors whatsoever.

ssssnakeluvr
11-23-2008, 11:19 PM
The site where I read it from called it a ribbon, my mistake. Maybe I just read it wrong, either way, thanks :).

I'll try and describe the snake a little better. Well, it's very simple. Black, with a green stripe going down each side of the snake. No other colors whatsoever.
sounds like they id'd it wrong.....common thing. do you have photos???? that would help a lot!

Sitting_duck
11-23-2008, 11:32 PM
Sadly, I can't find any. I've only seen them at the petstore and I never bring a camera there. I've tried over and over again to id it on google, no results.

ssssnakeluvr
11-23-2008, 11:38 PM
oops, forgot you saw them at a pet store.....ribbons generally have a reallight colored spot right in front of the eyes....garters don't

Sitting_duck
11-23-2008, 11:52 PM
Ribbons and garters have similar care, correct? So If I bought one, and it ended up being a Ribbon, It shouldn't make to much of a difference.

The garter I really want is a Florida blue. Do you know if they're easy to find in any pet stores?

Stefan-A
11-24-2008, 12:10 AM
Ribbons and garters have similar care, correct? So If I bought one, and it ended up being a Ribbon, It shouldn't make to much of a difference.
That would be correct. They may be a bit more skittish than most other garter snakes and they'll show less interest in worms and mice.

jitami
11-24-2008, 09:11 AM
I would almost bet that they are ribbon snakes. I see ribbon snakes often at our local petcos labeled as eastern garters.

Wayne my hubby has an IR temp gun and it's the coolest :) Check automotive/hardware type places and compare prices with the ones for pets... I'm sure they're the same thing.

Sitting_duck
11-24-2008, 11:10 AM
This isn't at a chain store, but there's a big chance their labeled wrong either way. I want a garter more than a ribbon, no real reason why. Just have that feeling that I want a Garter.

Stefan-A
11-24-2008, 11:32 AM
This isn't at a chain store, but there's a big chance their labeled wrong either way. I want a garter more than a ribbon, no real reason why. Just have that feeling that I want a Garter.
Ribbons are garter snakes, too. They just look a little bit different than the most common garter species.

Sitting_duck
11-24-2008, 07:13 PM
You just said that ribbons may be a bit more skittish, and won't show as much interest in worms and mice. I'd rather not have a skittish snake, and the more food that a snake of mine is interested in, the better =).

infernalis
11-24-2008, 07:27 PM
You have a good point Duck, We have 4 ribbon snakes, they are squirrelly and unpredictable.....

I love them for it:D

But I'm a weirdo anyways:cool:

If you can get hold of a Radix (plains Garter) they are great eaters, relatively easy going and make excellent captive pets.

A well started Eastern garter, Thamnophis Sirtalis Sirtalis would be a good choice as well.

After that, expect to pay a bit more.

Sitting_duck
11-24-2008, 08:07 PM
How much do you see Florida blues going for?

Stefan-A
11-25-2008, 12:34 AM
You just said that ribbons may be a bit more skittish, and won't show as much interest in worms and mice. I'd rather not have a skittish snake, and the more food that a snake of mine is interested in, the better =).
Just intended to clear up the apparent confusion regarding the separation of the genus into ribbon snakes and garter snakes. There are plenty of other garters that are as tricky. If you want one that'll eat anything, the garters with the most diverse diets are T. sirtalis, T. elegans and T. radix.

Sitting_duck
11-25-2008, 11:50 AM
ok thanks =-)

guidofatherof5
11-25-2008, 09:09 PM
I can vouch for the Radix. They are very diverse eaters and very, very curious about everything. My babies and most Juv. live in the livingroom, they are always out watching us, wanting out or a bite to eat. They will sit with my kids while they watch tv or do their homework, making very little effort to get away. They seem content spending their time with us. This is not the exception to the rule but the standard.

Sitting_duck
11-25-2008, 09:47 PM
Sounds like a fun snake =).

Of course I'll take anything that I come by, but I'd rather get one of the more colorful garters. Though, they're most likely very expensive.I'm thinking about Florida blues..well thats the only name I know,lol, but there are these nice looking ones with red stripes I like, too.

infernalis
11-25-2008, 10:03 PM
Look into the radix Austin, They have stunning orange/yellow stripes, Beautiful markings and lots of personality.

Just look at all the radix pictures on this forum:D

Sitting_duck
11-25-2008, 10:24 PM
Will do

Hopefully tommorrow I'll buy myself a garter for my moms birthday =p