PDA

View Full Version : possible enclosure idea

crzy_kevo
11-21-2008, 01:07 PM
i was talking with a friend about this yesterday when i told him i was going to have a snake room.

ok this idea would be for those of us that have a lot of time money and an extra room

ok so lets say we take a snake room and make it literal which means you seal off every exit point lay down repticarpet across the whole floor and decorate in a forest type theme and hang basking/heat lamps over certain areas

it would be the ultimate enclosure you could put a dozen snakes in there and they would feel a lot more free and you could problably put in a large area for water with a pump and a filter to reduce the need to clean the water as often, and sure it would be a pain in the *** to clean up garter poop everywhere but repticarpet i hear isnt that hard to clean.

anyways it was just a thought i would put out there maybe i will do it when i retire 50 years from now

give me your thoughts :D

jitami
11-21-2008, 01:19 PM
You could always go with James' slate floor for easy cleanup :) Sounds awesome Kevin!

infernalis
11-21-2008, 01:26 PM
Great idea, Why not go one step further?

I would have to imagine were talking home owners, can't envision a landlord permitting it.

Lay down a 6 inch layer of good top soil and plant real vegetation, then cleanup would never be a factor. (Poo makes great fertilizer for the grass)

I know a person who build a 20 x 20 all glass (greenhouse style) addition to her home, and filled it with potted trees so she could let 2 iguanas free roam in there.

jitami
11-21-2008, 01:27 PM
Nice! Don't let Chomper read that Wayne... he'll be demanding new digs soon enough :)

infernalis
11-21-2008, 01:31 PM
Nice! Don't let Chomper read that Wayne... he'll be demanding new digs soon enough :)

I know, he's 8 months old and on his third enclosure already!

crzy_kevo
11-21-2008, 01:38 PM
Great idea, Why not go one step further?

I would have to imagine were talking home owners, can't envision a landlord permitting it.

Lay down a 6 inch layer of good top soil and plant real vegetation, then cleanup would never be a factor. (Poo makes great fertilizer for the grass)

I know a person who build a 20 x 20 all glass (greenhouse style) addition to her home, and filled it with potted trees so she could let 2 iguanas free roam in there.

that would be cool however there is a chance that bugs could start nesting in the soil and that could cause problems but i figure if your going to grow living plantsa in there you might as well build an outdoor enclosure too

reptile_jones
11-21-2008, 02:13 PM
I seen on TV were some did just that. It was a room on the back side of the house. He tiled the walls, floor and a drain that led out side. He would use a hose to clean every thing. The room was for his Iguana's.

crzy_kevo
11-21-2008, 02:16 PM
just think how many garters you could put in a room like that :D

Snake lover 3-25
11-21-2008, 02:18 PM
wow how cool..... been my dream for years..... we should all find some pics of rooms like these.......:rolleyes:

Stefan-A
11-21-2008, 02:34 PM
If you have the space, the money and the time to set it up, then it would be interesting. But it seems like it would look better on paper than in practice. It's hard to find a practical reason to do it, a very large conventional enclosure seems a lot easier to make and maintain. It would also be easier to care for the snakes properly in an enclosure like that.

adamanteus
11-21-2008, 02:37 PM
I think it would be great, if it could be done. It would be quite different to be able to sit amongst your snakes, rather than on the other side of the glass.
It's this effect I hope to achieve by building my outside radix enclosure in the spring.

crzy_kevo
11-21-2008, 02:53 PM
that would be cool to be able to sit amongst the snakes and have them come over to you as they wish such as when you are going to feed them

Stefan-A
11-21-2008, 03:01 PM
And perhaps accidentally step on one from time to time. ;)

adamanteus
11-21-2008, 03:13 PM
And perhaps accidentally step on one from time to time. ;)

Yeah, Stefan... like you don't know they're there!:rolleyes:

Stefan-A
11-21-2008, 03:19 PM
Yeah, Stefan... like you don't know they're there!:rolleyes:
Well, I consider it a real risk.

bsol
11-21-2008, 03:58 PM
You could get one of those 50/50 doors... leave the top half open and just close the bottom half.

crzy_kevo
11-21-2008, 04:11 PM
ya but it has to be tight against the floor so they cant squeeze under

guidofatherof5
11-21-2008, 06:10 PM
Funny Kevin brought up this subject. I put a new addition on my home a few years ago. I had a basement put under it since it was more cost effective to do it then. It's a large room and I have concidered turning the far end of it into such an enclosurer. Actually, 2 enclosures. Approximately 7 feet wide by 10 feet long. A raised floor so that the small ponds could be drained right into my sump pumps. I could use untreated plywood for the two walls needed for each enclosure. A raised door so that the little scrubs don't have a place to go under. For those corner climbers a triangle piece of wood blocking their ability to go anywhere once they reach the top would stop those shenanigans. A heat source would be provided via a radiant water heater with those coils running under the floor area where heat was wanted. The room would be walled off and temp. controlled by the radiant heater. A safe brumation area would be provided and cold air allowed to enter through the windows keeping a safe temp for those resting during the cold months. It's just a thought! Okay a dream. But very doable. I'm guessing around $1500.00 doing all the labor myself. It would be a thing of beauty. At least that's my opinion. Then I have a great idea for my outside enclosure it's 15 foot by 40 feet with observation areas and remote cameras. Covered by bird neating to help protect the little scrubs. Now, where to get the money?

adamanteus
11-21-2008, 06:17 PM
I have similar ideas, Steve....... but as you say 'Where's the money'?

guidofatherof5
11-21-2008, 06:20 PM
I have a great idea. I'll pay for yours and you pay for mine. You go first!

adamanteus
11-21-2008, 06:21 PM
Hahaha! Yeah, that'll work!:D

Sid
11-21-2008, 06:44 PM
A really interesting idea, Kevin. Keep us posted.

Snake lover 3-25
11-21-2008, 06:44 PM
lol nice:p