PDA

View Full Version : Intro Post

deathwokclan
02-10-2007, 11:55 AM
Hey everyone,

I'm (as you can probably tell by the 'intro post' title) new here. Currently don't have any snakes, but I've been looking in to getting one for a while and will be set up to do so this spring/summer. I'll probably be asking a lot of annoying questions in my quest for information, so please have patience!

Cazador
02-10-2007, 02:04 PM
Hi Emily,
Your questions will be about our favorite creatures, so you won't be "annoying" anyone. Have a look around and make yourself comfortable. Talk to you soon,
Rick

GarterGuy
02-10-2007, 02:05 PM
Howdy and welcome to the forum. Hey, don't worry at all about asking lots of Q's...any help or info. you need there are plenty here on the forum who are willing to help.
Roy

Stefan-A
02-10-2007, 02:12 PM
Welcome aboard.

Don't worry about asking a lot of questions, I do it all the time and nobody here has been anything other than patient. *Knocking on wood* ;)

Sid
02-10-2007, 03:16 PM
Welcome to the forum Emily. Ask away, lots of helpful people here.

Sid

ssssnakeluvr
02-10-2007, 08:35 PM
Welcome to the forum!! That's why we are here...to answer all your questions! :D

abcat1993
02-10-2007, 10:17 PM
It's good that your asking questions before you get the snake (or anything you don't know about already).

Thamnophis
02-10-2007, 10:25 PM
Welcome here, Deathwokclan. Let those questions come...:)

Snaky
02-11-2007, 01:26 AM
Enjoy the forum and like everybody else said, just let those questions come;)

Gijs & Sabine
02-11-2007, 10:48 AM
Welcome to the forum:) Do you have any idea what garter you want to have?

deathwokclan
02-12-2007, 12:04 PM
Thanks, everyone, for the warm welcome!

Gijs & Sabine - I don't really have an idea yet. Still in the information-gathering stage. I'm looking for a snake that likes being handled and could hang out in my office with (or on) me while I write - and something that could do well on a non-rodent diet (being a long-time rat owner, it just wigs me out). I'm willing to do whatever complicated maneuvers need to be done to make sure the snake gets the nutrients it needs, and could manage pre-killed pinkies...but that's realistically my limit as far as rodents go. Any ideas?

bio22
02-13-2007, 06:19 PM
I just purchesed 12 baby common garters from one of the great people on this site. They are currently eating cut up frozen trout, that is defrosted then fed to them. They eat it up with no problems.
They are great for handling, I teach High School Biology and the kids have loved being able to hold the snakes. They are well mannered snakes!

Cazador
02-13-2007, 08:08 PM
Hi Andy,
There are a million ways to feed them, but your students may enjoy feeding them with a pair of 8-10" tweezers. They sell bamboo tweezers at Petco for under $10 dollars. You would let the students hold fish chunks in the tweezers and let the garters take the fish out of the tweezers. It's a lot of fun and a bit more interactive than placing the food in a dish on the bottom of the pen. Enjoy,
Rick