PDA

View Full Version : Feeder fish

GarterNovice
11-20-2008, 02:56 PM
I can't seem to find anywhere in my area that sells feeder guppies. It's starting to get frustrating. Are there any other kind's of small fish that are ok for ribbon's?

reptile3
11-20-2008, 03:02 PM
Have you tried Minnows?

I can't find feeder guppies either.

GarterNovice
11-20-2008, 03:06 PM
Yeah he is on Rosy Red minnows now but I heard they are bad for them.

reptile3
11-20-2008, 03:09 PM
Yeah he is on Rosy Red minnows now but I heard they are bad for them.

yup that is all they sell here too!! bummer

infernalis
11-20-2008, 03:31 PM
Try bait and tackle shops.

They have live shiners (no fatheads, ask if they are fatheads)

Have you tried fish fillets yet?

Cut some Tilapia or Salmon into small strips and shake it in front of the snake (use tongs or hemostats)

Simply throwing a hunk of dead fish in the tank seldom produces any results.

crzy_kevo
11-20-2008, 03:38 PM
i use the strips of salmon and offer it with tweezers for the babies but they will take it if i just plop it right in front of them anyway

adamanteus
11-20-2008, 03:43 PM
I have very little experience with Ribbons, I know they are (can be) more difficult than Garters at times. 'Tease feeding', with forceps is a good option with Garters, whether or not that works with Ribbons, I can't say.
If you're feeding live fish, you could try putting trout or salmon pieces in the water dish with them, when the snake goes fishing he might bump into the pieces first and naturally begin to swallow.

infernalis
11-20-2008, 03:51 PM
We have 4 ribbon snakes, all 4 have different feeding responses.

One likes to be held while it eats(Greeny is easier to get eating if he's held at the time). another will only take food in his own cage, 3 of them like unscented pinks, etc....

They are just like Thamnophis:cool: Oh yea that's right they are Thamnophis.

guidofatherof5
11-20-2008, 08:01 PM
Salmon fillets bought at Sam's Club seem to work really well for my Radixs. They take it very readily. Hand fed, dish fed and thrown at them(Just kidding). I do believe they would catch it if I threw it. I almost wish there was a pecking order instead of a bunch of crazied starving Radixs all at once. Of course they only think their starving.

Loren
11-20-2008, 09:54 PM
My little ribbons were a bit tricky to get started- they took thawed guppies at first. Now they chow down real good on chopped up trout.

GarterNovice
11-20-2008, 10:19 PM
He doesn't seem to want to touch the fish unless they are live. We tried putting pieces of salmon in his bowl at the same time as the live fish with and without water and he wouldn't eat it. He did get on it and smell it all over though. We have tried holding it in front of him with a fork. Maybe we should get some tongs. Picky little guy :)

GarterNovice
11-20-2008, 10:35 PM
Anyone know if the frozen little gray fish that petco sells are good for ribbons? Not sure what kind of fish it is. There's quite a few in the pack.

NetBSD
11-20-2008, 10:55 PM
red tail feeder fish are bad? i didnt know this and its the main diet of my garter

infernalis
11-21-2008, 05:10 AM
What is a red tail feeder fish??

NetBSD
11-21-2008, 05:49 AM
What is a red tail feeder fish??

AFAIK they are red taild minnows

infernalis
11-21-2008, 05:55 AM
These??

http://www.seagrant.umn.edu/newsletter/2000/02/raising_redtails.html

I don't think we have ever discussed these as garter food.

Lori P
11-21-2008, 05:56 AM
Anyone know if the frozen little gray fish that petco sells are good for ribbons? Not sure what kind of fish it is. There's quite a few in the pack.

I've never seen these; will have to check them out.

Keep adding chopped pieces of fish and pinkies to their live guppies or minnows. Sometimes it takes a while... and then one day, bam, they land on one and swallow it. :-)

drache
11-21-2008, 06:17 AM
yes, definitely keep mixing things in
they get used to the smell of the new food item, even if they don't take it right away

GarterNovice
11-21-2008, 12:59 PM
Thanks for the advice. I will just have to just keep trying.