PDA

View Full Version : san fransisco's

karlh
11-19-2008, 10:38 AM
i recently got a pair of these and am hoping to brumate them soon, has anyone had much success with these? any info on what temperature to cool too and for how long would be a big help, also how difficult are they to breed? i hear its not as straight forward as other garters. any info would be much appreciated.

infernalis
11-19-2008, 11:21 AM
Welcome to the forum. :D

Here in the USA that particular species of garter is illegal to keep.:(

karlh
11-19-2008, 11:48 AM
i believe so. ever since a kid i always wanted one of these then i went to a show in the summer and saw some for sale. they were at the first stand as i walked in and i bought them straight away! i knew there would be nothing else available that would appeal to me as much.

jitami
11-19-2008, 12:46 PM
Welcome! Sorry no advice for you, but I wouldn't see why their care would be much different from most other garter species? Hopefully someone with more experience will come along soon :) I'm quite jealous and would love to see pictures :)

adamanteus
11-19-2008, 01:32 PM
Hi Karl, and welcome to the forum.
Where in Lancashire are you? I'm east of Manchester, so we're practically neighbours!
I have 2.1 tetrataenia, and I keep them in exactly the same way as the rest of my Garters. They have presented me with no special problems so far.... in fact they have been mating almost constantly for the past week.
I brumate my Garters in the loft, where the temperature can vary, but never drops near freezing.... unfortunately the early winter has been so mild that the temps just aren't low enough yet.

Garter_Gertie
11-20-2008, 09:38 AM
Welcome, Karl! You lucky dog, able to have San Frans. (sigh)

karlh
11-20-2008, 12:05 PM
i'l get some pictures posted soon. i live near blackpool but work in portsmouth during the week. thanks for the info hopefully i'l get babies!

prattypus
11-20-2008, 02:29 PM
Argh! You non-staters and your San Frans! I swear I am this close to reversing the Atlantic crossing...

Scaley.Jade
11-20-2008, 06:46 PM
andas for pictures .... where are they lol we want to see

Odie
11-20-2008, 08:40 PM
Hi, from Oregon, Karl :)

mtolypetsupply
11-20-2008, 08:58 PM

Correct me if I am wrong, but it is illegal to keep them without an endangered species permit.

If that is correct, here in NJ, an endangered species permit is $7/year. I don't know how hard that permit is to get, but the application is simple enough.

ssssnakeluvr
11-20-2008, 09:01 PM
you won't get a permit for san frans....they won't let them out of the state....

mtolypetsupply
11-20-2008, 09:23 PM
you won't get a permit for san frans....they won't let them out of the state....

DARN!!! :mad:

:)

Charlet_2007
11-20-2008, 09:25 PM
Welcome to the forum. :D

why are they? they endangered?

ok now i know i bet i can get them.. If i can get a komodo dragon for a friend of mine that use to work for a zoo i can get anything lol

ssssnakeluvr
11-20-2008, 09:53 PM
why are they? they endangered?

ok now i know i bet i can get them.. If i can get a komodo dragon for a friend of mine that use to work for a zoo i can get anything lol

they are very endangered....last I read a few years ago there were an estiimated 1000 to 1500 left in the wild. I am sure you could get one....but get caught with one and your butt will be grass and the feds the lawnmower.....

Hornets23
11-20-2008, 10:46 PM
Yeah they are sooo awesome but it wouldnt be worth the risk.

prattypus
11-20-2008, 11:45 PM
Get some CA reds, and breed the ones with the larger spots....sooner or later, you will have the red stripes. With careful selection, it should only take 1000 years.