PDA

View Full Version : The Backdrop is here!

mtolypetsupply
11-14-2008, 06:42 AM
What does that woman keep doing to our house?????
http://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//639/medium/IMG_2457.JPG

Once a week, it's like EXTREME MAKEOVER HOME EDITION without that guy yelling.
http://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//639/medium/IMG_2454.JPG

here's the pics of the whole tank--
http://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//639/medium/IMG_2429.JPG

I need to figure out how to get rid of the glare in my photos. No flash was used, either.
http://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//639/medium/IMG_2430.JPG

mtolypetsupply
11-14-2008, 06:43 AM
And I got so excited it was in and to put it up, I messed up cutting it! Look in the last pic. :(

adamanteus
11-14-2008, 06:43 AM
I like that.... a lot. Love the leaves in there!

infernalis
11-14-2008, 06:45 AM
Stephi - Try taking the photos at an slight angle.

Photographing glass straight on will induce glare.

stand a few degrees right or left, and "shoot" like a bank shot in billiards.:D

Lori P
11-14-2008, 06:45 AM
It looks great! As soon as it dries up here, I'm gathering leaves!!!! :-)

adamanteus
11-14-2008, 06:48 AM
It looks great! As soon as it dries up here, I'm gathering leaves!!!! :-)

Me too, I think! It looks really good.:)

mtolypetsupply
11-14-2008, 06:54 AM
I added the leaves to blend it better, and the kids really seem to like them. I got the pic off a stock photo site stock.xchng - the leading free stock photography site (http://www.sxc.hu) and emailed it to Walmart and had them print out a 16x20 poster. I don't know how much standard pet store backdrops are, but that cost me $12. And I don't think anyone else has one like it, so I have a true custom backdrop!

aSnakeLovinBabe
11-14-2008, 08:47 AM
my babies look sooooo happy :D:D:D

Aundrea
11-14-2008, 08:49 AM
I really like it.. Very nice. I think im gonna get some dried leaves also when they dry up.. It rained last night

guidofatherof5
11-14-2008, 09:11 AM
Nice looking setup. I'm sure the little scrub loves it. Mine love changes and are quick to explore all the new items they get.

jitami
11-14-2008, 11:13 AM
Very nice Stephi!!!

Is it that little corner up top on the left side that you "messed up?" If so, just scootch it up from the bottom and if needed put a little black or brown construction paper along the bottom edge to help it blend in. Seriously, though, it's hardly noticeable... and if that's not the spot then I feel really silly cause I don't see anything else that could possibly be an oopps :) It's beautiful!

Snake lover 3-25
11-14-2008, 03:08 PM
yes I love it!!!! great idea!!!!!!:D

anji1971
11-14-2008, 03:15 PM
Looks good!:cool: The custom backdrop is a neat idea.
All we have around here are wet, soggy, yucky leaves. My snakes will have to go without!

Garter_Gertie
11-14-2008, 05:57 PM
Stephi, you're vying for Queen o'The Tank Setups, aren't you!

I LOVE the backdrop! It looks like the woods here in MN. Don't think you're gonna be the sole owner o'that backdrop for long! LOL!!! The leaves really top it off. VERY NICE!

infernalis
11-14-2008, 06:05 PM
Looks good!:cool: The custom backdrop is a neat idea.
All we have around here are wet, soggy, yucky leaves. My snakes will have to go without!

That makes me glad I raked up a whole bag and brought them in before the wet season started.:D

Bring some in Anji, spread them out on something like a spare window screen sitting on some blocks, or upside down flower pots.

In a day or two they will be dried out nice for you.

Grass from the lawn works great too.

Plant grass seed in the bottom of the tank, functional, looks great and makes them slithers feel right at home:D

mtolypetsupply
11-14-2008, 09:47 PM
Tami, yep, that's the corner with the oops! I just wanted to see it (I have ADD and poor impusle control, don't mind me) so didn't even think (duh) to scooch it up there and add more bedding down below if it shows there!

Advice for others if you use the stock photo site. I played around with it after I already ordered mine. I found out later that you can sort by resolution, Highest to Lowest. In case you aren't familliar with that, the higher the resolution, the bigger you can blow up the pic and not lose detail. Anyway, this one was in the 3000+ by 2000+ pixel range. I would choose something much higher next time.

Right now, It's taped to the tank, but I'm thinking it would be more functional and last longer if I mount it on card stock or foam board or something. Maybe use some cage clips to hold it in place then and get a few different ones, change them out when I and the babies get bored.

Maybe it's just coincidence, but they BOTH have shed, since I put the leaves in a little over 24 hours ago. Now, I don't know if it is also typical for them to be much more active after shedding, please clue me in on that, but they have been rustling around the leaves and climing on the fake bushes and having a grand old time.

Oh, and my husband said snakes won't eat if they're going to shed. BOTH babies ate heartily, and began their shed within an hour or so of their last feedings. I will say, James didn't want to eat yesterday, actually refused, but ate well today then slithered right out of his skin.

Oh, they are so pretty and clear, and shiny and vibrant!!!!!!

jitami
11-15-2008, 11:48 AM
Oh, they are so pretty and clear, and shiny and vibrant!!!!!!

Awww, sounds like a good excuse for more pictures :) And yeah they typically are more active right after shedding. Fun, huh?

Loren
11-16-2008, 03:29 PM
Maybe it's just coincidence, but they BOTH have shed, since I put the leaves in a little over 24 hours ago. Now, I don't know if it is also typical for them to be much more active after shedding, please clue me in on that, but they have been rustling around the leaves and climing on the fake bushes and having a grand old time.

Oh, and my husband said snakes won't eat if they're going to shed. BOTH babies ate heartily, and began their shed within an hour or so of their last feedings. I will say, James didn't want to eat yesterday, actually refused, but ate well today then slithered right out of his skin.

I'd say its a combo of having shed clean, which does tend to make them active and hungry, and of having new stuff in the cage to explore.
Looks nice by the way. Good idea on getting your own backdrop. Maybe I should have taken pics of the natural habitat everywhereI caught my natives, and done that to each cage.

As for eating while in shed- depends on the snake. Some will, some will not. I usually dont feed during shed, but if they take food, its ok.

Lori P
11-16-2008, 04:18 PM
Stephi, I like that photo site, I've grabbed some snake pics off there for wallpaper!! That was a great idea to make your own backdrop-- it turned out really nice!