PDA

View Full Version : Humane euthanasia-- n/ quick help

Lori P
11-12-2008, 05:23 PM
Guys, I'll explain more later but I need a general concensus on the most humane method of euthanasia for a snake. I searched our articles and forum but couldn't find a specific thread or article dealing with this.

Thanks. :(

EdgyExoticReptiles
11-12-2008, 05:26 PM
put it in the freezer it will go into brumation and then die, you could also just smash it with something heavy which would be faster but a lot messier and grosser :(

Guys, I'll explain more later but I need a general concensus on the most humane method of euthanasia for a snake. I searched our articles and forum but couldn't find a specific thread or article dealing with this.

Thanks. :(

Stefan-A
11-12-2008, 05:30 PM
Barbiturates.

A strike to the back of the head, followed by decapitation, followed by destruction of the brain.

Lori P
11-12-2008, 05:45 PM
Decapitaion itself without stunning first not completely painless?

Lori P
11-12-2008, 05:47 PM
I ask because I was hoping to preserve the head for my vet to examine. Oh, this is so hard. This is just awful.

Charlet_2007
11-12-2008, 05:49 PM
whats wrong lori?

Lori P
11-12-2008, 06:01 PM
I didn't want to say until I talked to Reed. I've pm'd him so hopefully he gets it soon.

But.. it's little Curious (red sided). I don't know if you recall but he developed an odd eye infection. We treated it with topicals and 10 days of Baytil injections. The infection cleared up, but the eye "died" int eh socket and atrophied. He did not seem to be in pain from it, but, he had not eaten during the 3 weeks of all of this. Well, this past weekend he finally showed interest in food... but... couldn't seem to get his mouth around it. I chopped up already small earthworms into tiny pieces and he managed to get a few down... I was concerned but wanted to see what would happen in a few days. I talked to my vet, and he warned me that it sounded neurological and could have been caused by the infection.

Tonite, he is desperately trying to eat. Over and over and over he is striking at the tiny pices of worms and chopped up pinky. He can't get it into his mouth. I've tried holding it for him and guiding it in... he can't hold on enough, it falls out the sides. He flips over and around and upside down trying to hold on. It is absolutely breaking my heart to watch him struggling like this and I think it's obvious this is a very serious problem.

But omg, this is hard. I can't stop bawling. I love that silly little guy so much. And Reed, I am so, so so sorry. I've really tried everything I know how and I think it is cruel to let him go on.

I want to end it instantly and was hopnig my vet could maybe look at his little head and tell me something. But if a big blow is better than decapitation, that's waht we'll do.

:-( :-( :-(

adamanteus
11-12-2008, 06:04 PM
Oh Lori. I'm so sorry.:(

olive oil
11-12-2008, 06:07 PM
How aweful! I'm so sorry.

infernalis
11-12-2008, 06:10 PM
Decapitation itself without stunning first not completely painless?

Lori - The oxygen requirements for snakes are so low, the head can live for some time without a body.

The freezer is not without some discomfort, A solid whack over the top of the head with a hammer is swift and humane.

If you do not have the stomach for that, I prefer to shoot them in the head with a .22 (I think you have that option available don't you?)

Its instant....... So sorry that it's came to this.

drache
11-12-2008, 06:26 PM
oh Lori
I'm so sorry

Charlet_2007
11-12-2008, 06:29 PM
Oh Im SOOOOOO sorry lori.. My condolences.. im praying right now as we speak for him and for you for some peice.. :(

Lulu Bennett
11-12-2008, 06:32 PM
Oh Lori, this is terrible news. I am sending my love xxx

adamanteus
11-12-2008, 06:32 PM
I know it's not the right way.... but I always favour freezing.... done gradually, I believe (I hope) they go torpid and start to enter a hibernation state before the ice crystal thing becomes painful. I can't bring myself to use the hammer.

Lori P
11-12-2008, 06:37 PM
Jamie is taking care of it now. He'll do it with enough force to make sure it is painless. Thank you all for the help... my first thought was decapitation so I do appreciate the advice on that.

I'm going to bed. Sleep well, little Curious. I'm so sorry.

mtolypetsupply
11-12-2008, 06:57 PM
My condolences, Lori. Know that you did the right thing for your little buddy.

guidofatherof5
11-12-2008, 07:10 PM
I'm sorry to hear about your problem. I personnally use the freezer. My hope is that by the time the body starts to freeze the snake has slipped into unconsciousness. Being cold-blooded it only makes sense that at some temp. they will not be awake. I can't back any of this up with scientific evidence but this method gives me peace of mind. We invest so much of our love and emontions into these guys and then we have to say goodby. You and your little freind are in out families prayers. God Bless

reptile3
11-12-2008, 07:34 PM
Lori, I am so sorry!! I am in tears reading this!!

many hugs

Snake lover 3-25
11-12-2008, 07:45 PM
omg lori I am SOOOO sorry!!!!! you did the best you could.... that's what counts.... and he lived his life with you out quite well...... so sorry....... :(

Hornets23
11-12-2008, 08:07 PM
So sorry to hear about the little guy lori :(

infernalis
11-12-2008, 08:20 PM
Lori, you have my sincerest condolences.

R.I.P. & Slither on in the sky Curious....

mtolypetsupply
11-12-2008, 08:47 PM
My father told me of a method long ago, he was speaking about euthanizing mice that didn't die in the snap trap. He never let us attend the procedure. Shoebox with holes in one end, then start the car, and hold it to the exhaust so the carbon monoxide would put them to sleep. Someone else posted about oxygen needs being different in snakes, but do you think this would be effective and humane? And how long would you need to expose the snake, do you think for it to be effective? And if anyone does try this, please please please PULL THE CAR OUT OF THE GARAGE.

What a crappy way to gain knowledge, I feel like Mrs. Mengele just asking this.

count dewclaw
11-12-2008, 08:48 PM
Lori, I'm so sorry...these decisions are always tough, even when you know it's the right one. You "done good" for Curious.

anji1971
11-12-2008, 08:51 PM
Awww, Lori..........so, so heartbreaking. I'm sorry. Hugs........:(:(

Aundrea
11-12-2008, 10:10 PM
aww Lori im so so sorry about your snake :( You and your family and your snake are in my thoughts. You were the best mommy to him and did everything you could and he knows thats

EdgyExoticReptiles
11-13-2008, 01:54 AM
i dont usually get sad enough to cry over the snakes but i'm just so sad, he was such a good snakey (it is in no way your fault Lori) its just to bad though :(

Sid
11-13-2008, 03:42 AM
Lori, so sorry to hear the bad news. You did your very best for him.

Stefan-A
11-13-2008, 05:09 AM
Sorry about Curious, Lori. :(

My father told me of a method long ago, he was speaking about euthanizing mice that didn't die in the snap trap. He never let us attend the procedure. Shoebox with holes in one end, then start the car, and hold it to the exhaust so the carbon monoxide would put them to sleep. Someone else posted about oxygen needs being different in snakes, but do you think this would be effective and humane? And how long would you need to expose the snake, do you think for it to be effective? And if anyone does try this, please please please PULL THE CAR OUT OF THE GARAGE.

What a crappy way to gain knowledge, I feel like Mrs. Mengele just asking this.
Definitely not humane. The exhaust gases are hot and full of irritating particles.

Lori P
11-13-2008, 06:10 AM
Thank you all SO much. The support on here helps beyond words!! Curious really was a one of a kind little guy... always out and about, watching everything going on around him at the front of his tank. Calm as could be toward people... ate out of your hand. Never struggled at being held, never musked, just always had this eager little attitude-- seemed to look forward to everything new. He never shied away from me, even after daily injections which must have hurt.

He was a good little soul.

Reed, thank you for sharing him with me. I really, really enjoyed all the time I had with him. To think one little snake could connect us across the country... I keep wondering if Reed (the ribbon) is missing him in some snakey way this morning??

Thank you all again. You guys are my rock!!!

http://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//500/medium/Curious_face_close_up_2.jpg

Garter_Gertie
11-13-2008, 06:27 AM
Lori, I can only imagine your pain and loss. I'm so sorry. I wish it could have been different. You have my love and thoughts.

Lori P
11-13-2008, 07:41 AM
Gertie... grief is a funny thing. I've buried three dogs in the last 2 months and yet cried more over little Curious last night than any of them.... which surprised me... but each of the dogs were rescues with issues and I had time to adjust, I think. Curious was the first snake I've ever lost, or more, ever had to make a decision on. It was (is) really rough.

Lexa
11-14-2008, 08:15 AM
I'm so sorry to hear about your little one. He sounds like he was a great little character.

aSnakeLovinBabe
11-14-2008, 08:25 AM
I know how hard it is to do it, but sometimes it's what is best for them. when I have to put a snake down, I do exactly what stefan said. Decapitation alone causes the head to stay alive for quite sometime, and it moves and that to me is just awful. So sorry for your loss! As I told you earlier I lost two snakes earlier this year to this ailment, both garters and both long term ones that I had for years. It doesn't get any easier no matter how many times it happens :(

jitami
11-14-2008, 11:25 AM
I'm so sorry Lori... sorry I didn't see this in time to be of more support... and soooooo very sorry you had to go through it at all... rip little curious :(

crzy_kevo
11-14-2008, 12:20 PM
i cant believe i missed this sorry for your loss lori
i had a dream last night that i lost george and checkers in a fire it was horrible :(

oncer again sorry for your loss :(

Garter_Gertie
11-14-2008, 06:17 PM
Lori, firsts are so hard. When I lost my first Aby I couldn't be consoled. Not that the loss or putting down of those that followed were less loved - but were loved diffrently.

My first cat from my first litter, when she died, I didn't think I could go on. Pickles' death will affect me far more than Mayo's. The loss of Peepers or Jeepers or Niizh will affect me more than the loss of one of the Pugets.

Grief isn't so funny, but the expression of it is. We all have to go our own way and grieve as befits and helps us. To heck with what anyone else thinks. But I think we all can understand feeling grief and knowing it must be expressed and not held in.

It's always harder when we have to step in and make a decision. I always hope and pray my kids go in their sleep. However, I've yet to be that fortunate. So far I've had to put the kid first and forego my pain. But when you take on the responsibility, you have to step up and love your child until the end - always doing the best for them.

Don't feel guilty. Don't feel bad. Don't feel horrible. Know while it was so hard for you to do what you did was in the best intrest of the one you love.

And it takes a very strong, loving person to put aside their fear and pain of loss for the comfort and easing for the one they love.

Love you, kiddo.

adamanteus
11-14-2008, 06:24 PM
Nice words, Gertie.:)

Zephyr
11-14-2008, 07:09 PM
Wow Lori...
I'm so sorry.
It's so hard to euthanize... It almost killed me to do it to my baby last year.
My condolences; may he slither on in your heart.

Hornets23
11-14-2008, 09:02 PM
I guess that is the one bad thing about loving so many critters so much. There are always those times when they arent around for nearly as long as we wish they could be and so often it is the really special ones. Its kind of cool to come here where everyone understands.

Loren
11-16-2008, 03:43 PM
Sorry to hear that Lori.

Oh, a bit late, but I have always done the fridge for a day, to put into deep brumation, followed by the freezer. But your way was fine. Just harder to do I think. Nice of your husband to help.

Lori P
11-16-2008, 04:04 PM
I think that in the future, I could do the fridge for brumation & then the freezer... but there was this nagging thought in my head that he still might feel uncomfortable, if not outright pain... and I couldn't bare the thought of knowing he was in the fridge every time I walked by. I guess this was just an emotional one for me and I HAD to know it was instant.

Jamie's a good guy. The things I've made him do...

I downloaded the video I made of him struggling to eat but then I couldn't watch it. I want to post it for anyone who may want to see the symptoms, but not yet.

Loren
11-16-2008, 04:09 PM
Well, its one of those subjects that has many different opinions. I dont know what is considered ethical and not, I just know what I do. :)

Jack Neary
11-16-2008, 08:49 PM
Lori,
So sorry to hear of your predictament.... I know it's very hard on you!
I nursed my female Butler, Samantha, along by giving her antibotic shots every 3 days for over 3 months and much $$$ cost to try and eliminate her respitory infection, without success... Should have put her down much earlier in hindsight...
Watch her suffer and get weaker by the week, all for the false hope she would recover. Was not to be...
Just lost 2 out of the 4 juvenile Similis's I purchased from Scott Felzer over the past 30+ days. Found the first one upside down in her water bowl and the 2nd one got weaker and limp over a 3 week period and finally died. Wish I new why or what I could have done better or different to save the 2nd Similis?
It soo hard when you get attached to any pet and have to put them down. Especially our pet garter's which we invest so much time with...
Hang in there!!!
Jack

guidofatherof5
11-17-2008, 08:07 AM
It's always hard to let them go. They become part of us. That's a good thing and what we feel only reaffirms our comittment to them.

infernalis
11-17-2008, 08:29 AM
It sucks Jack:(

Good luck with the remaining Similis.