PDA

View Full Version : Trip to Michaels

mtolypetsupply
11-08-2008, 10:21 PM
So I went to Michaels Craft store today. I'll let James and Ernestine tell you how it went:

WHAT DID SHE DO?????
http://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//636/medium/IMG_2203.JPG

Don't worry, I'll go check it out.
http://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//636/medium/IMG_2187.JPG

It doesn't seem so bad!
http://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//636/medium/IMG_2198.JPG

We like our new home!
http://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//636/medium/new_plants.jpg

Now if we can just get rid of that darn labeler of hers!!!!!!

Yes, I have remnants of my labeling addiction from my last trimester of pregnancy.

Now I just can't wait for the background I created to come in!!!!

GartersRock
11-08-2008, 10:24 PM
LOL! "What did she DO". :D

I think you have inspired me with the labeling thing! I am a record keeping, organizing fanatic and would probably love doing that!

prattypus
11-08-2008, 10:27 PM
I dig the labeling- I may do that. I've been playing in photoshop to come up with my own background- I'm just not happy with it yet.

aSnakeLovinBabe
11-08-2008, 10:31 PM
:D:D:DOMG.... my babies!!! ohhh look at how happy they are ::melts::

Aundrea
11-08-2008, 10:50 PM
awwwwwwwwwwwwww they are so SO CUTE!!!! And LOVE the set up. :D

mtolypetsupply
11-08-2008, 10:52 PM
Shannon, they do seem happy here. They ate some pinkie halves again today, and loved them!

BTW, what are their birthdays?

I'll post pics of the background, it's due in sometime after Thursday.

Oh, and the ivy is actually covering Ernestine's favorite Toilet Paper Tube Hide. :)

I love organizing, tubs, boxes, labels, files, etc. etc. etc. The only thing that thwarts my plans is a pack-rat husband and a 1-year-old! The kid I can work on as she grows, but I will pay TOP DOLLAR to anyone who knows the secret to getting hubby to buy into at least picking up after himself, and weeding out some of his stuff! (Honey, I know that you don't want to have to buy an 8 ft. section of moulding for one piece, but you have 37 pieces of cutoffs in this pile, can't we get rid of the ones UNDER 6"????)

prattypus
11-08-2008, 11:19 PM
Shannon, they do seem happy here. They ate some pinkie halves again today, and loved them!

BTW, what are their birthdays?

I'll post pics of the background, it's due in sometime after Thursday.

Oh, and the ivy is actually covering Ernestine's favorite Toilet Paper Tube Hide. :)

I love organizing, tubs, boxes, labels, files, etc. etc. etc. The only thing that thwarts my plans is a pack-rat husband and a 1-year-old! The kid I can work on as she grows, but I will pay TOP DOLLAR to anyone who knows the secret to getting hubby to buy into at least picking up after himself, and weeding out some of his stuff! (Honey, I know that you don't want to have to buy an 8 ft. section of moulding for one piece, but you have 37 pieces of cutoffs in this pile, can't we get rid of the ones UNDER 6"????)
You'd think so, but Murphey's Law will have you needing something as soon as it's tossed!

mtolypetsupply
11-09-2008, 01:17 AM
You'd think so, but Murphey's Law will have you needing something as soon as it's tossed!

ARRRGH!!! You two are related aren't you?!??!

:D

prattypus
11-09-2008, 02:06 AM
Don't think so- could just be a hard wired guy thing.

infernalis
11-09-2008, 06:21 AM
I'm a third generation packrat...

I have all the stuff grandpa never threw away (Anyone need a model A ford ignition coil??) he passed that down to my pack-rat mom, who passed it all down to pack-rat me.

Wish I had a dollar for every time some stranger knocked on the door to ask if I would sell this or that, I'd have a nice pile of money by now.

If I died today, the estate auction would be a weird one for sure....

Lori P
11-09-2008, 06:33 AM
Stephi, their home is looking great! They are sooooo adorable. I'm really getting into these Florida Blues... I stare at mine in just utter awe. They're my favorite (I can still have 15 favorites, right?!!)

Packrat-ism.... yeah.... wonder why they haven't come up with a vaccine for that yet?? lol

Sid
11-09-2008, 06:37 AM
I like the transparent lable. Puts the inf you want on the enclosure without distracting from the enclosure or snakes. Nice job, Stephi.

Garter_Gertie
11-09-2008, 06:57 AM
Steph, looks FABULOUS! I'm still trying live. The moss in Niizh tank died. I think too hot and not enuff humidity.

I can't believe the labels! I must have the ESPN-thing going! I was actually thinking yesterday of labeling the garter tank!!!!!

mtolypetsupply
11-09-2008, 09:35 AM
Wish I had a dollar for every time some stranger knocked on the door to ask if I would sell this or that, I'd have a nice pile of money by now.

Imagine how much you'd have if you actually sold the *stuff*!!!!

Thanks for the compliments, everybody! Mr. Pack-rat mocked my labels, I'm glad there are others that appreciate them!

infernalis
11-09-2008, 09:50 AM
Imagine how much you'd have if you actually sold the *stuff*!!!!

Some day I may find the carburetor I need for that tractor:D

(by then the tires will be rotted off the rims)

Then of course the kids inherit this strange behavior, and start bringing home every broken bicycle they see, oh forget the new one you just bought last week, the one on the curb has hand brakes!

mtolypetsupply
11-09-2008, 03:43 PM
I think they're feeling much more secure now, too. I saw Ernestine atop the log hide. Neither of them hung out there before, and she didn't even scurry away. Just hung out looking at me like "Well, it's about time you got what we were about!"

reptile3
11-09-2008, 06:20 PM
Stephi, great tank & set up!!! Glad they are doing well!!

anji1971
11-09-2008, 09:56 PM
Awww.......their house looks pretty!:)
Gotta love Michael's. I discovered the place a couple years ago when I was planning my wedding. I made EVERYTHING I could figure out how to make for it. My husband still cringes if you mention the name of the store!:rolleyes:

Garter_Gertie
11-09-2008, 10:31 PM
Hhhuuummmmm.... Maybe I should go fake for P & J's sake. FORGET THE ROBO BOYS! They'd be happy in a bare naked tank!

Poor P & J are sssssoooo... genteel... I bet much more cover would make them so much happier.

I never thought o'that. I could mix fake and live. Poor boys! I feel so STUPID and bad for them!

mtolypetsupply
11-10-2008, 07:46 AM
Gertie, don't feel bad! It's often that we all have those "Aha!" moments, and you should feel good you came up with the blend Idea!

If you've got the knack for live, go for it! I'd love to do live, but since I'm just starting out, I'd like to only have to worry about keeping the inhabitants alive, not the whole tank! Your idea of a mix of live and fake is great!

I'm good at keeping plants, just am not willing to make the leap to a whole vivarium. Are you keeping your live in their pots, or do you plant right in the substrate? If you're keeping things in pots, you might want to look into those crystals you add to the soil to retain water, potted plants lose a LOT of water daily.

Also, I know that supposedly snakes don't need the UVA and UVB from sunlight, but your plants definitely will. You can do quite well with low light plants if you put a plain old fluorescent light above them. Even the curly-q bulbs. Plain ol flouorescents won't cost you an arm and a leg like the "full spectrum, fancy pants, reptile specific, blah blah blah" $30/bulb lights do.

What plants are you choosing? It will be easier if you choose all plants that use the same light and water requirements. I know Home Depot and Lowes have those little potted plants for $1.49, and they have a great selection. At that price, you could probably get a few months out of them, and even if they don't fare so well, just replace when they get icky. :)

Personally, I think that all critters we keep in created habitats thrive with as close to natural surroundings as possible. I'd love to have my fish tanks planted, the snake enclosure planted, a nice dog area of the yard where they could dig dens and climb on stuff, and a whole catnip/oat grass enclosure for my kitty, and my dream is to one day bring my horse home (when we move of course) and plant amazing pasture for him. That's just not a possiblity for me right now.

One day, I swear I will pirate that plan for the planted viv with the plexiglass partition for the swimming area and the peagravel/burlap/charcoal/soil substrate and live plants, though!!!!!!! I don't remember who made that, and I know I'll lose this whole post if I go looking for it now, but YOU ROCK, Forum Member Who Made That! Post some pics to show us how it's growing now!

anji1971
11-10-2008, 07:55 AM
Gertie, if you can keep live plants growing in their tanks, then hats off to you!
I'm an avid gardener, and I can grow houseplants like there's no tomorrow, but every time I put plants in Toadie's tank, they shrivel up and die within a few weeks. I guess I just don't have the "vivarium touch"!:rolleyes:
But the mix of real and fake can work very well. Go for it!:)

drache
11-10-2008, 05:12 PM
my "live plants in the viv" urge goes no further than to take the aloe plant off the porch when it gets too cold out there, and to stick it in the beardie cage, where it's sunny and warm
he's not eating it so far

Garter_Gertie
11-10-2008, 06:31 PM
Rhea....

ROFLOLPMP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But it works, right? And so keep on!

You're cute!

jitami
11-10-2008, 06:49 PM
Awww, first let me say that I love the captions... love the babies.... love their new set-up :)

My guys seem to enjoy plants, too. Sly even has a certain plant that he has to have in his tank. I don't know what he's going to do when it finally gets too ratty and I have to toss it! If I leave it out of the tank he won't come out. As soon as I put it back in he's out and about checking things out... weirdo... lol

I can't do live, tho! I can't keep a house plant alive to save my life!

aSnakeLovinBabe
11-10-2008, 07:26 PM
I am so proud to see them :D

their brothers and sisters were giving me the stink eye tonight... I could read their minds... *ahem, where is my chocolate covered salmon stuffed pinky half garnished with worm slime and salamander tails???*

so I fed them :D

mtolypetsupply
11-10-2008, 10:16 PM
Shannon, they had the "pinky part buffet" today. Ernestine readily feeds in my hand, but James is a little squirrely. I had to put him in a feed box (clear plastic tub) and then he still doesn't want to eat until you cover it with a towel. I think his middle name shall be "Houdini" as he wants you to think he's doing a magic trick. :)

When was their birthday?????? I know you have a LOT of snakes, so a close approximation would even be good. We'll just always have their party on a weekend. :)

infernalis
11-12-2008, 06:17 AM
When was their birthday?????? I know you have a LOT of snakes, so a close approximation would even be good. We'll just always have their party on a weekend. :)

Yay pinkies and ice cream:rolleyes: