PDA

View Full Version : Escape and (lucky) recapture!

adamanteus
11-08-2008, 04:42 PM
So, we have guests over the weekend.... quite a few of them..... and I have had to give up my bed and sleep on the snake room floor. At some point during the night I must have rolled over and pushed open the radix tank sliding glass door.

At around 7am I was woken by a scream from the landing, as I opened my eyes I immediately saw the tank door open by a good three or four inches. I rushed out of the room to see one of our lady guests staring in horror at a snake on the floor. At my arrival she screamed again....... I was naked.:rolleyes:

I grabbed the escapee and quickly retreated. On returning the traveller to his tank and doing a quick head count, I realised that there was another one loose. I had no sooner realised this, than I spotted him only a foot away.

It's probably over a hundred years since I had my last escaped snake, and I was lucky to get them both back so quicky and with no searching necessary. Close thing!

Stefan-A
11-08-2008, 04:46 PM
You too, James? :D Well, I'm glad you caught them. I assume you'll be getting locks for the sliding doors now? ;)

I usually try not advertise my own stupidity, but..

http://koti.mbnet.fi/thamnoph/photos/snakesies08/hamm08/rueffinkiddinme.jpg
Okay, now I'm definitely advertising my own stupidity. :D

adamanteus
11-08-2008, 04:50 PM
Eeeek! Those holes in the lids are a real problem. I stretch a thin piece of muslin or gauze across the top of the tank before I snap the lid on, when I'm housing little ones.

Stefan-A
11-08-2008, 05:00 PM
Those lids have a couple of circular holes (for some purpose that remains unknown to me) and that little ******* found one of them. I usually remember to plug them, but not that time. I put machine screws through the holes and tightened with nuts on the other side.

Looking at the markings on that snake, it did remind me that it could have been a lot more serious.

ps. I felt dirty using the words "screw" and "nuts" in the original sense, is that normal?

drache
11-08-2008, 05:01 PM
Eeeek! Those holes in the lids are a real problem. I stretch a thin piece of muslin or gauze across the top of the tank before I snap the lid on, when I'm housing little ones.
old stockings work really well, cut open into square pieces; they're very stretchy

Stefan-A
11-08-2008, 05:05 PM
old stockings work really well, cut open into square pieces; they're very stretchy
Now where the hell am I supposed to get old stockings from? ;) :D

adamanteus
11-08-2008, 05:06 PM
Those lids have a couple of circular holes (for some purpose that remains unknown to me)

Small snakes can also squeeze through at the side of the hinges of the small, clear 'feeder' lid, in the centre of the top. I always use these little plastic tanks for my smaller snakes, but I always use the gauze.

count dewclaw
11-08-2008, 05:07 PM
Now where the hell am I supposed to get old stockings from? ;) :D

Your mother?! Maybe...

infernalis
11-08-2008, 05:08 PM
Those lids have a couple of circular holes (for some purpose that remains unknown to me)

Those round holes are for air hoses.

The small keepers are also used for mini aquariums... Usually a single male Beta.

Now you know;)

Good save James, Wonder which snake shocked your guest more.

adamanteus
11-08-2008, 05:12 PM
I have used stocking for this in the past.... but I find them too fine. They are so thin that they aren't gripped very firmly between tank and lid. I have found baby snakes resting on top of the stocking before now.

Stefan-A
11-08-2008, 05:13 PM
Small snakes can also squeeze through at the side of the hinges of the small, clear 'feeder' lid, in the centre of the top. I always use these little plastic tanks for my smaller snakes, but I always use the gauze.
I'm pretty sure they can't do that on this model, but there is indeed a gap in the clear lid, where they've shaped it so that it would be easier to open.

adamanteus
11-08-2008, 05:13 PM

I'm not sure.... but she keeps smiling at me now, and she helped me with the washing up after dinner this evening.:D

Stefan-A
11-08-2008, 05:16 PM

The small keepers are also used for mini aquariums... Usually a single male Beta.

Now you know;)
Doesn't make much sense, though. It's much too low to be used as an aquarium.

Garter_Gertie
11-08-2008, 05:17 PM
I refuse to take part in this conversation regarding naked, snakes, and hose/stockings for them...

But I gotta ask, WHY did the guest scream a second time? Fear? Or sympathy?

OKAY, OKAY! I'm outta here. COULD NOT HELP IT!

Garter_Gertie
11-08-2008, 05:18 PM
Oh, lord. She helpd with the wa(r)sh.

I don't know how long I can behave myself...

Sid
11-08-2008, 05:20 PM
Well, James, glad you found both escapees so quickly and they were unharmed. :D

While feeding today, I opened the enclosure on a JV Black Rat to put in his pinkie. As I was masking my second round to see who was finished eating, I realized he was not in sight! Looked on the shelf directly below the enclosure and there he was. He must have been up in the rim of his tank when I opened it. My first escape in a long long time as well.

infernalis
11-08-2008, 05:24 PM
Doesn't make much sense, though. It's much too low to be used as an aquarium.

I think the lids are from a universal mould, and the bottoms vary in height, so the same lid that would be on a low keeper could also be used on a taller one.

It's cheaper to manufacture anything if the parts interchange.

It would make sense to have a knock out where the hole is, so the end user can decide if they want the hole or not.

adamanteus
11-08-2008, 05:26 PM
[quote=Sid;86201] As I was making my second round to see who was finished eating, I realized he was not in sight! Looked on the shelf directly below the enclosure and there he was. quote]

Glad you found him, Sid... they can be sneaky little devils!:D

Stefan-A
11-08-2008, 05:29 PM
I think the lids are from a universal mould, and the bottoms vary in height, so the same lid that would be on a low keeper could also be used on a taller one.
It could, if Ferplast manufactured such a keeper. The lid only fits this model.

infernalis
11-08-2008, 05:48 PM
Looks like you have the "Geo flat" they also offer a "Geo" that is the same and twice as tall.

The covers look identical.

GartersRock
11-08-2008, 05:58 PM
LOL!!! I am laughing so hard here. Sorry, sorry. Eh hem. Glad you got your snakies back so easily. :D:D

Stefan-A
11-08-2008, 06:05 PM
Looks like you have the "Geo flat" they also offer a "Geo" that is the same and twice as tall.

The covers look identical.
I have the Geo Flat Large. They do offer a 21l Geo Maxi, but it's not the same size lid.

infernalis
11-08-2008, 06:18 PM
I have the Geo Flat Large. They do offer a 21l Geo Maxi, but it's not the same size lid.

How peculiar.... Maybe the engineers fell asleep;)

drache
11-08-2008, 06:22 PM
the ones I used were more like tights and substantial enough
I just assumed it would work with any of them

adamanteus
11-08-2008, 06:24 PM
the ones I used were more like tights and substantial enough
I just assumed it would work with any of them

Just my findings, Rhea... whatever works for you! Maybe I cut my squares too small.:rolleyes:

drache
11-08-2008, 06:30 PM
I also only did it a couple of times to separate out a small group
last time I did it, I ended up forgetting about those holes altogether and ended up loosing a snake
that felt crummy

Stefan-A
11-08-2008, 06:34 PM
How peculiar.... Maybe the engineers fell asleep;)
They probably used to have a Geo model that used the same lid, or they had plans to add one to the product line.

I have a couple of ExoTerras, too (I think that's who made them). They have the holes as well, but they've plugged those holes partially.

prattypus
11-08-2008, 10:26 PM
Let's see- nude in the snake room with two escapees. I'd be thankful they went off feed!

aSnakeLovinBabe
11-08-2008, 10:32 PM
at my arrival she screamed again....... I was naked.

hahahahahha

GartersRock
11-08-2008, 10:34 PM
Let's see- nude in the snake room with two escapees. I'd be thankful they went off feed!

:eek: HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Lori P
11-09-2008, 06:51 AM
OMG... I just about spewed coffee. ROFL Did your guest have a camera at the time?? She may have an interesting photo Christmas card going out this year...

infernalis
11-09-2008, 07:31 AM
OMG... I just about spewed coffee. ROFL Did your guest have a camera at the time?? She may have an interesting photo Christmas card going out this year...

Happy holidays from James, A radix and a radish:rolleyes:

aSnakeLovinBabe
11-09-2008, 10:04 AM
hahaha!

I have a radix NAMED radish... because when I came home and told her I got a Radix... she said "shannon... what the hell did you buy a radish for, you hate those things"

adamanteus
11-09-2008, 12:43 PM
Happy holidays from James, A radix and a radish:rolleyes:

http://waynesword.palomar.edu/images/daikon2b.jpg

Raphanus sativus..... Giant radish.:D

Garter_Gertie
11-09-2008, 12:57 PM
Yeah. Right. I dddooonn'ttt ttthhhinnnkkk so!

That's NOT YOUR radish!

And say, if your guest was privy to all your snakes - caged, tanked - untanked... - WHY can't we SEE all you've got?

Snot fair!

Stefan-A
11-09-2008, 01:04 PM
http://waynesword.palomar.edu/images/daikon2b.jpg

Raphanus sativus..... Giant radish.:D
Incidentally, radix means "root". And "radish" is derived from the word radix.

Lori P
11-09-2008, 01:04 PM
Gosh, it's so.... white.

Garter_Gertie
11-09-2008, 01:19 PM
"And hence forth he shall be known throughout the kingdom as 'Sir James, The Radish...' The root of all things thamnophis-ishly."

Stefan-A
11-09-2008, 01:25 PM
"And hence forth he shall be known throughout the kingdom as 'Sir James, The Radish...' The root of all things thamnophis-ishly."
Nay. He is and always shall be Llama Man.

Garter_Gertie
11-09-2008, 01:34 PM
What, Stefan? He spits in peoples' faces???????????????

Stefan-A
11-09-2008, 01:39 PM
What, Stefan? He spits in peoples' faces???????????????
He's Llama Man! He can bleat, he can trot, and he's prone to flatulence when threatened.

Garter_Gertie
11-09-2008, 01:51 PM
Oh, my.

Those poor guests of his. I'd scream too - and not in excitement - should I come across a naked man bleating and farting with his radish flopping around.

Ish.

reptile3
11-09-2008, 03:06 PM

Now you know;)

:D Wayne...

Glad you found both of your snakies James!!!

infernalis
11-09-2008, 03:16 PM
Oh, my.

Those poor guests of his. I'd scream too - and not in excitement - should I come across a naked man bleating and farting with his radish flopping around.

Ish.

Now just imagine this guy, naked as a jay bird holding a snake, I'd have to scream also...

http://www.danceswithreptiles.com/1fun/james.jpg

adamanteus
11-09-2008, 03:19 PM
That's where I left my squeaky toy! I've been searching for it for ages!:D

reptile3
11-09-2008, 03:24 PM
OMG! too funny.... I was laughing so hard, I had to stop reading.. due to I was coughing so bad. I am sick, with bronchitis!

what a cute squeaky toy!:p

Snake lover 3-25
11-09-2008, 03:26 PM
ROFLMAO!!!!! nothing else to say.

adamanteus
11-09-2008, 03:26 PM
I'm so pleased to have found him! I'm biting his squeaky little feet as I type!

Hornets23
11-09-2008, 06:20 PM
Wow..this stuff is too good.

reptile3
11-09-2008, 06:26 PM
Wow..this stuff is too good.

Yup it is, better than TV!!! HA HA:D

Lori P
11-09-2008, 06:47 PM
James... I am soooooo glad you're back!!!!! Er, radish and all!!!!!

infernalis
11-09-2008, 07:14 PM
Better than Southpark:eek:

anji1971
11-09-2008, 09:42 PM
Figures this kind of stuff would go on during the one day I'm too busy with housework to be online!
I'm sitting here with tears running down my face. Too much fun!!:D:D

jitami
11-11-2008, 04:28 PM
LOL James... so glad you found your snakes... oh my... your poor guest... lol