PDA

View Full Version : TLC is universal!

guidofatherof5
11-06-2008, 10:41 PM
I have a group(29)of Radixs born 3 months age. It's always a great time feeding them. Most of them will be looking out of their hide. As soon as they can smell the meal it's like a snake stampede. Everyone jocking for first taste. Hand feeding this many can be daunting. Tonight, amongst the feeding frenzy I notice a smaller little girl sitting in the corner. She was much smaller than all the others. I felt terrible for her. She didn't want to be part of the feed with the others. She was at the cold end of the enclosure and looked lost and out of place. I picked her up and warmed her. A couple of my kids gathered around. I explained the situation to them and they asked what we could do. I explained she may need to go in the TLC box for awhile. I then sorted through the last of my WC worms and found a baby nightcrawler. I held the littleone down to the worm and she eat it. 2 larger worms later she was looking full. I couldn't help but feel she just needed some one-on-one time.
Sometimes I see the same look on my kids faces. With 5(4 girls and 1 boy) Dads spread pretty thin. That's when a date night will be setup with the one who needs it. I found it interesting that this little Radix was feeling the same kind of feelings. She felt lost in the mix of life. Sometimes snakes and people can be very similar. It's been a couple of hours since the feed, the kids are all in bed and my little lost one is back in her corner. I better go take care of this one.

Aundrea
11-06-2008, 10:54 PM
awwwwwwwwww that is sooo cute!!!!!!!! Im so glad that she ate for you. Im sure shes really happy now :D

crzy_kevo
11-06-2008, 11:35 PM
good work guido :D

prattypus
11-07-2008, 02:35 AM
see, it's just this type of experience that makes me want to be a dad. A herper too, but a human father...

Stefan-A
11-07-2008, 04:10 AM
Cute, but I wouldn't draw any conclusions about their emotional life based on that experience.

guidofatherof5
11-07-2008, 05:48 AM
Cute is exactly what I was going for and to point out a simalarity between the two situations. Knowing the emotional life of one of these little guys is impossible. That being said we all would like to think our kindness and concern for them is being felt by them. Many times I have seen and felt a connection with them. Whether it's in a reaction to us or just a gut feeling. I feel they have a deeper understanding of things, more than just the mechanical parts of survival. I have seen the compassion for them and the thought that they understand move my children and myself to greater acts of the same for people. I wouldn't jump to any conclusions either but I sure will hope that my Garters are. Just keep loving them!

Lori P
11-07-2008, 06:53 AM
Extra kindness and care are never wrong, no matter what the emotional considerations. Your kindness meant the world to that little being, whether she knows it or not. Your story warmed my heart this morning, after a week of dealing with the more negative side of humans... I needed this. :-)

anji1971
11-07-2008, 03:04 PM
Sweet story!
There are many days when, despite the knowledge that the snakes aren't likely to have any attachment at all towards me, whatever reaction I get from them makes me feel like they care. And what you did for that little girl made her existence more comfortable, and I'm sure it's appreciated somehow.
I love what the example your warmth and concern toward the little critters teaches your children. Way to go, Dad!:)

jitami
11-11-2008, 06:37 PM
Awwww... very nice quido :) And Jason, if that story touched you I have no doubt you'll make an awesome daddy :)

reptile3
11-12-2008, 10:29 PM
What a cute story... glad she is eating for you!