PDA

View Full Version : Feeding advice in Garters

zirliz
10-29-2008, 07:45 PM
My mother who is minding my garters while I'm in University but she tells me it's hard to get my 4 year old male Plains garter ( Thamnophis radix) to feed.

He's on pinkies as is the young female,

My mother told me if she places it in water the snake takes it more frequently has any one tips on helping an inexperienced person in feeding.

If I was home I'd be trying worms and fish as when I looked after him I found he liked choose switching back between fish, pinkies and worms.

Any advice would be great thanks

Garter_Gertie
10-29-2008, 08:05 PM
Welcome! Glad you found us and hope you have fun here!

Have you told yor mother just what you've told us, and asked her to do these things - that you would do if you were there?

That would be my first step. And that may be all it takes.

zirliz
10-29-2008, 08:09 PM
It's very hard to get captive earthworms here :( I doubt she'd be thrilled about handling worms or dealing with fish.

Pet shop told me you used to be able to get 'garter grub" some food product, that was great for them but for some reason it vanished off the market.

When I come home for xams I'll bring some worms and fish and see if he takes them easier,

ssssnakeluvr
10-29-2008, 08:10 PM
this time of the year a lot of garters go off feed anyway...if he continues to not eat, he will need to be cooled down for a month or so (brumation) and then warmed back up and he should eat fine.

Snake lover 3-25
10-29-2008, 08:15 PM
yeah.... unfortunatly they stopped making it.....:( but yeah... he may have just stopped eating due to the season.....

welcome and good luck:D

infernalis
10-29-2008, 08:31 PM
does anyone realize you are welcoming a member who has been here 2 years??

ssssnakeluvr
10-29-2008, 08:33 PM
It's very hard to get captive earthworms here :( I doubt she'd be thrilled about handling worms or dealing with fish.

Pet shop told me you used to be able to get 'garter grub" some food product, that was great for them but for some reason it vanished off the market.

When I come home for xams I'll bring some worms and fish and see if he takes them easier,
you can generally find worms sold as bait at walmart and bait shops....also can buy salmon filets or fresh trout and cut into small parts and freeze, thaw what yoiu need to feed... if he will eat only worms, they will need to be dusted with vitamin powder every other week....worms aren't the most nutritious food when fed only worms...and worms pass thru real fast and make a big mess!

Snake lover 3-25
10-30-2008, 06:12 PM
lol how'd that happen????? :confused: o girtie did it!!!!! ROFL

drache
10-31-2008, 06:54 AM
welcome back - haven't seen you around in a while
is your mom taking care of your other animals as well? I seem to recall newts and small lizards . . .
Don - she's in Ireland - no walmart
but lots of people that like to fish, I seem to recall
what do they use for bait over there?
if you want to make things easier on your mom, you can make your own gartergrub to keep in the freezer
Alan's Garter Snakes - Maintenance of Garter Snakes (http://www.gartersnake.co.uk/maintenance.htm#Home-made%20garter%20snake%20food)
also - if your garter is 4 years old, she might be big enough to move on to larger rodents
good to see you

ssssnakeluvr
10-31-2008, 10:34 AM
but lots of people that like to fish, I seem to recall
what do they use for bait over there?
D'oh!!!!! :rolleyes:

Stefan-A
10-31-2008, 11:31 AM
My sources tell me that Wal-Mart operates in the UK under the name Asda, which is now also expanding into Ireland. :p

zirliz
11-03-2008, 07:31 AM
No Asda's here yet, at the minute I'm up the North of country and no Asda's here either,
I sold most of my other animals lizards, some spiders , katydids etc, it was a hard decision but my mother is looking after 2 fish tanks, hermit crab, a handful of snails, my only adult tarantula also had to sell my Boaie as she couldn't handle him :( .

drache
11-03-2008, 08:02 AM
it must have been really hard to let go of your animals

did you try talking to anglers?
those are the ones who fish with worms, aren't they?
the guys that go out on the sea probably use fish as bait
there's got to be worms in Ireland - or did St. Patrick do away with those because they look like snakes?

zirliz
11-03-2008, 03:55 PM
It wasn't easy but necessary I'll get them again, some pet stores sell captive worms as food for something (not sure what) just have to locate some, as it's looking like I'll be flying home I'll have to post the worms down but least in Cork I can get some fish,
Angler (fish tactile shops) are a good idea) thanks

zirliz
11-14-2008, 10:14 PM
3 weeks and still not feeding for her she wouldn't go near worms but she may have try some fish next week, it's awful I'm really worried about him,

ssssnakeluvr
11-14-2008, 10:47 PM
may be going into brumation...some will do that even if warm. there's a link on brumation somewhere...not sure where..should be able to do a search for it. may need to be brumated.

I found one....

http://www.thamnophis.com/forum/husbandry/4288-brumation-pointers.html