PDA

View Full Version : dekays

Snake lover 3-25
10-29-2008, 06:30 PM
ok so i found a little guy... and i have a few questions:D

is it wierd that he is twice as ling and just as thick as my baby garter... and yet his hear is smaller???

is it ok to feed him just worms over the winter?

can i return him back to the wild after winter if i decide not to keep him?

pics tomarrow:D

infernalis
10-29-2008, 07:04 PM
ok so i found a little guy... and i have a few questions:D

is it wierd that he is twice as ling and just as thick as my baby garter... and yet his hear is smaller???

I assume you mean head? And yes the normal body structure of a Dekayi is smallish (especially males) my males are half as big around as the females, long and skinny with a tiny head.

is it ok to feed him just worms over the winter?

Yes, the year before last all we fed was worms. Last year farmed slugs in the basement, and with a litter of tiny sprogs, I'll be farming slugs again:cool:

can i return him back to the wild after winter if i decide not to keep him?

Shanley, yes - BUT be extra careful, do not let it come into contact with your other snakes, Take precautions to try your best and not introduce any potential disease into the wild population.

Snake lover 3-25
10-29-2008, 07:08 PM
ok will do thanks:D

but all my snakes are wc????

reptile3
10-29-2008, 07:25 PM
And yes the normal body structure of a Dekayi is smallish (especially males) my males are half as big around as the females, long and skinny with a tiny head.

Sooo that is why, my dekayi's are smaller... WHEW!!:)

infernalis
10-29-2008, 07:32 PM
ok will do thanks:D

but all my snakes are wc????

Yes, but how long have they been captive??

Bet you fall for this little fella and keep it anyways.

They have a personality like no other.

aSnakeLovinBabe
10-29-2008, 08:04 PM
oh and plus, the "grin" that they make when they are eating their slimy meal is so endearing! Thy curl their little lips up and they look something like this: :D

Snake lover 3-25
10-29-2008, 08:13 PM
lol the oldest i've had for 2 yrs..........

i hope i can keep him.... i do LOVE dakays.... but it all depends on if he eats and well....... i really do need to figure something out for college...... i don't think i want to stay at home.... and i will never give them up.......... hmph..... guess i've got some thinking to do lol:D

infernalis
10-29-2008, 08:21 PM
oh and plus, the "grin" that they make when they are eating their slimy meal is so endearing! Thy curl their little lips up and they look something like this: :D

http://www.danceswithreptiles.com/dk/dkswallow.jpg

http://www.danceswithreptiles.com/stuff/xener.jpg

http://www.danceswithreptiles.com/stuff/1xena.jpg

infernalis
10-29-2008, 08:28 PM
lol the oldest i've had for 2 yrs..........

i hope i can keep him.... i do LOVE dakays.... but it all depends on if he eats and well....... i really do need to figure something out for college...... i don't think i want to stay at home.... and i will never give them up.......... hmph..... guess i've got some thinking to do lol:D

Hmmm, would you require a "baby sitting service":cool:

Snake lover 3-25
10-29-2008, 08:51 PM
OMG!!!!!! SOOOOOOOOOOOO CUTE!!!!!!!:eek:

well..... maybe...... but idk what i even want to be..... so...... idk....... lol i'll keep that in mind:D

omg i hate school!!!!:eek:......... which reminds me lol time for bed:D

thank god only 2 more days of swimming!!!!:eek: i'm SOOOOOOO EXCITED!!!!!!:D

infernalis
10-29-2008, 09:13 PM
:eek: i'm SOOOOOOO EXCITED!!!!!!:D

http://www.danceswithreptiles.com/1/1note.jpg and I just can't hide it....http://www.danceswithreptiles.com/1/1note.jpg

GartersRock
10-29-2008, 11:49 PM
Does that cute smile have anything to do with something I heard somewhere that they have special teeth or something to remove snails from shells? Or am I crazy. :D
I love my Penny girl!! Getting another texana girl this Saturday. Yay!!! And an adult eastern girl. :D And I am trying the rear fanged vine snakes again (promised replacements). Don't know how that will go... Here's hoping.

Snake lover 3-25
10-30-2008, 05:32 AM
lol nice:Domg I do love this little guy.......... he is SOOOO active!!!!!!! wow way more active than any of the others.......... :D

infernalis
10-30-2008, 06:01 AM
Does that cute smile have anything to do with something I heard somewhere that they have special teeth or something to remove snails from shells?

You "heard" correctly Amanda. Watching these Dekayi's peel snails out of the shell is cool.

Or am I crazy. :D

OK , But that's why we love you:D

I love my Penny girl!! Getting another texana girl this Saturday. Yay!!! And an adult eastern girl. :D And I am trying the rear fanged vine snakes again (promised replacements). Don't know how that will go... Here's hoping.

Hope it works out....

lol nice:Domg I do love this little guy.......... he is SOOOO active!!!!!!! wow way more active than any of the others.......... :D

That didn't take long at all... Once the snake gets to know you as the caretaker, it will scoot over and greet you.

Snake lover 3-25
10-30-2008, 06:40 AM
awwwwww omg lol i'm never gonna be able to let this little guy go lol is 5 snakes too many for a 55 gallon tank???? one is 32" 2 are 20" one is still a baby and this gut is about a foot..........???????? PLEASE SAY YES!!!!!!!! how mny can live in a 55?????

drache
10-30-2008, 06:52 AM
You "heard" correctly Amanda. Watching these Dekayi's peel snails out of the shell is cool.
okay - they actually eat snails? not just slugs? really?

reptile3
10-30-2008, 08:41 AM
Once the snake gets to know you as the caretaker, it will scoot over and greet you.

That is soooooo true.... Mikey, is very active, he greets me everyday, besides Kyle. Brownie, he used to, but he is too busy hiding.
I check on them everyday, I have noticed all 3 have ate some worm pieces!! YAY!!!:D

infernalis
10-30-2008, 09:15 AM
okay - they actually eat snails? not just slugs? really?

Sorry that NEVER got mentioned before, but yes the little snails that cling to damp grass in the early evenings are gobbled right up.

Thanks - I need to include this on my Dekayi care sheet.

The snake will latch on to the soft underside of the snail, and then rub it against a rock until it separates the meat from the shell.

Without a heavy rock or similar rough solid object, the snake can (happened to me) choke on the shell.

If you have ever found empty snail casings in your garden, a DK or red belly was the one who "evicted" the tenant from it's home.

There have been times when I can find snails in the yard, but no slugs, so I give them up as treats.

Snake lover 3-25
10-30-2008, 09:19 AM
are they just as good for them as worms and slugs??? bc I fing a lot more snaile than slugs and worms combined.........

infernalis
10-30-2008, 09:24 AM
Yes Shanley, go get some snails:D

They are slugs with a shell. (less gooey)

Snake lover 3-25
10-30-2008, 09:29 AM
sweet!!!!! o yeah.... and what about my post b4 that one??????? :D

infernalis
10-30-2008, 09:49 AM
awwwwww omg lol i'm never gonna be able to let this little guy go lol is 5 snakes too many for a 55 gallon tank???? one is 32" 2 are 20" one is still a baby and this gut is about a foot..........???????? PLEASE SAY YES!!!!!!!! how mny can live in a 55?????

I have 5 in a 35 gallon. 3 dekayi and 2 garter, 2 years that way, no problem.

So I imagine a 55 is fine. (heck the 35 seems almost the same as a 55, just not as tall.)

As long as they are all well fed, there is very little chance of the garters eating your dekayi.

Snake lover 3-25
10-30-2008, 10:50 AM
YES!!!!!! could I keep 8 in there eventually if I make lots of hides and levels?????:D

infernalis
10-30-2008, 12:26 PM
I honestly think that would be pushing it Shanley.

The major downside to this is that if one snake gets ill, the rest will be in danger.

They are in all reality crawling all over each other, and each others poopies.

Snake lover 3-25
10-30-2008, 02:12 PM
ok lol so how many could live in there???? :D

infernalis
10-30-2008, 03:58 PM
I'd honestly stay right where you are at now.

adamanteus
10-30-2008, 04:03 PM
Yes, I agree with Wayne... you don't want to overcrowd.

Snake lover 3-25
10-30-2008, 04:15 PM
ok:D no problem lol that just means i'm gonna have to control myself lol

infernalis
10-30-2008, 04:28 PM
Thanks Shanley, sounds better coming from yourself...

I had typed something about self control, and then backspaced it out before posting.

Snake lover 3-25
10-30-2008, 04:34 PM
lol i can do it!!!!!:D i hope:p lol i started out with 2 this year....... then i found this forum...... now i have 5...... wow this IS addicting!!!!!:eek:

adamanteus
10-30-2008, 04:36 PM
wow this IS addicting!!!!!:eek:

addictIVE, Shanley!;):D

Snake lover 3-25
10-30-2008, 04:38 PM
?????:confused:

o and i forgot the turtle lol:D

omg!!!!! i just realized i found/had 49 snakes this year!!!!:eek: now that is DEF a record!!!!! i have only had/ found about 100 in all 6 yrs at this house....... wow........ and that includes the 49.........

Snake lover 3-25
10-30-2008, 05:14 PM
i've never found a mean dekays..... but apparently there is a first for everything....... maybe he was just cold lastnight and this morning??? he was calm then...... now he's not....... doesn't even stop to musk....... just strikes and flattens out and strikes again.....:( idk...... what do i do now??? hmph....... i want a dekays...... but i've never kept a snake that strikes for no reason...... the only time willow and meadow have bitten me is either because of food or when i picked them up and scared them...... idk idk idk....... he's cute but..... esp if i have to start controlling myself....... i don't think i wanna keep him....... maybe if i find a dekays somewhere down the road..... maybe one that's a little more docile..... lol...... but what do i do with him now????:(

Snake lover 3-25
10-30-2008, 06:25 PM
idk...... i've thought about it more and more...... and the more i think about it the more i want to let him go and wait till i find the PERFECT snake........ i think that i just fell in love with him bc my first ever pet snake was a dakay..... and i havn't seen one in about 2 yrs maybe more.........

lol i think i'm gonna try and not fall in love with a snake for 2 yrs....... then i'll allow myself to keep one :D.......

i just have to remember i lived 10 yrs with no reptiles........ 5 is enough...... for now.......:D

GartersRock
10-30-2008, 07:19 PM
Awww.... Come on! Viciousness is a selling point for me. :D:D:D

infernalis
10-30-2008, 07:36 PM
Shanley Sweetie, your Dekayi is scared, that's all.

Try housing it in a small shoe box size tote by itself so it can calm down.

Or if you are going to let it go, I'd say wait until the weekend when you can release it around 11:00 am so it can find decent cover before nightfall.

It's 27 outside right now.

GartersRock
10-30-2008, 08:00 PM
Oh yes, and sorry I didn't really answer you for reals... Wayne is right. You little guy is just scared and most likely will settle down for you. If you gave him some time he should be fine. But you do what you feel is best for you and your little cutie. ;)

infernalis
10-30-2008, 08:08 PM
That's my thoughts, And probably being "stuck" with several garters is not helping it to calm down.

My tank of 5 is 2 MALE easterns, smallish ones at that, around 18 inches.

The Dekayi snakes are all females, so they are also around 18 inches.

They were introduced to each other one at a time.

Snake lover 3-25
10-30-2008, 08:15 PM
yeah.... but he's only with the baby in the 20 gal....... idk..... he just keeps striking at me thruogh the glass as i walk past....... just did it again.......??????

idk...... but it's decent out right now..... around 55 here...... suposed to get around 65-70 tomorrow........ idk..... lol

Snake lover 3-25
10-30-2008, 08:23 PM
think i could maybe keep him for a while and put him into brumation if i decide i don't want to keep him? then release him back in spring? o yeah.... and he hasn"t eaten..... i pit him in a show box with snails slugs and worms...... nothing..... o and i found a salamander...... i was gonna try to feed it to him.... would he even eat it???....... but it is WAY to cute to feed lol i'd never be able to do it lol i put it in a shoe box with some moist dirt on one side and moss on the other..... and dry dirt in the middle.... i'll let him go tomorrow......:D

Aundrea
10-30-2008, 08:33 PM
I got a dekay from Wayne about 2 months ago and he freaked out all the time. He wouldnt eat for me for about a month then FINALLY HE ATE. wooo hooo. I was so happy. Now he eats very well for me. He sometimes freaks out but not as bad. He was just scared and plus he was in a new home and such. It takes time. Now my wc Dekay is a sweetheart. He/she LOVES to be held and eats so well for me. I can take him/her with me on a long walk and he/she will wrap around my fingers or curl up in my palm and sit there. Loves attention also. I go up to the tank and say hi to everyone and here comes Bennie. lol :D

reptile3
10-30-2008, 08:36 PM
I got 2 dekay's from Wayne, Brownie & Mikey, they are sooo lovable!! They aren't as sassy as Kyle, my red sided.

They have the cutest's faces, they are so cool!!!:D

infernalis
10-31-2008, 05:32 AM
They do have a way of roping you in and stealing your heart:D

http://www.danceswithreptiles.com/DK/trio.jpg

http://www.danceswithreptiles.com/DK/dk1.jpg

Snake lover 3-25
10-31-2008, 07:40 AM
lol omg this is never gonna work!!!! he is SOOOOO cute!!!!! lol idk......... I love him already..... and well..... today IS the last day of swimming....... so I will have some extra time...... ok lol you got me lol i'll try to tame him lol and he's tiny...... so there is NO way his bites will hurt.... I doubt they'll even break the skin........... lol ok i'll try :D he is SOOOOO cute...... but just wondering....... his head is tiny..... but his tail tapers quite a bit...... so I think he may be a girl?????? idk..... lol

infernalis
10-31-2008, 08:03 AM
Shanley, You have to make a decision and do it quickly.

If you decide to keep him and things don't work out, the release option will be gone before you know it.

Just trying to be a realist here... Later on down the road if you should want one that is CB and already tame, you know where to find me.

Aundrea
10-31-2008, 08:28 AM
Wayne them babies are soooo cute. That last one is a very pretty one. How are the babies doing? Getting bigger?

Shanley I think your gonna keep him LOL :D:eek:

Snake lover 3-25
10-31-2008, 08:35 AM
o crap....... I left this conversation up on my computer....... my mom told me that I can absolutely not keep him....... :( well wayne...... I will DEF take you up on that offer..... just not yet...... lol I do want to raise one up from a baby someday....... o well........ ok so now.... to release him...... could I keep him till spring and brumate him then release???? or should I just do it this weekend???? it is quite decent out right not.... blue skies and warm in the sun......... should be even warmer tomorrow.........:(

infernalis
10-31-2008, 08:37 AM
Yes they are growing like little weeds. I'll take some pictures this weekend.

I forgot to mention to everyone, The baby Dekayi that was delivered to my door by the lady who was spraying the poisons on her garden is thriving as well.

Seems the bug spray did no harm.:D:D:D

Oh that remids me, Gotta go check on "Copper" my newest aquasition.
She has been stubborn about eating for me, so I locked her in a tote with some slugs last night.

Found her just last week, it was getting cold out and I felt sorry for her.

Not to mention, I just love the copper color of her skin!

Uh oh, cat's out of the bag, She has a name & we know what that means;)

Aundrea
10-31-2008, 03:56 PM

I forgot to mention to everyone, The baby Dekayi that was delivered to my door by the lady who was spraying the poisons on her garden is thriving as well.

She has been stubborn about eating for me, so I locked her in a tote with some slugs last night.

hahaha welp looks like you got a new snakie!!! :DI would love to see pics of them all and im glad that the one that got sprayed is doing well :D

reptile3
10-31-2008, 04:25 PM
If I ever found any snakes(garters, dekayi's) I would so fall in love.
Wayne so you have a new snakie... oooh can we see pics soon.

I ended up with 2 leopard geckos, I was supposed to help them, then give away to new home. I can't... I am in love!!! Plus the special Bella, she is doing very well, her tail is fattening up.

Garter_Gertie
10-31-2008, 04:41 PM
I'm of the opinion, we should all just 'fess up and ADMIT we're all suckers for flickering tongues and rubber sticky feet and gargantuan claws AND MOVE ON!

ROFLOL!!! The above may not pertain to anyone but me, but I will freely admit if ANYONE gave me a gecko, or a green funky snake, or a monitor - and I KNEW how to take care o'it - I would NOT turn the cutie down!

Hello, Thamnophis.com! I'm mk and I'm a sucker.

There. I admitted it.

reptile3
10-31-2008, 04:47 PM
mk your funny!!!:D

Hi, Thamnophis.com! My name is Stephanie, & I am a sucker!! too!:p

I'm of the opinion, we should all just 'fess up and ADMIT we're all suckers for flickering tongues and rubber sticky feet and gargantuan claws AND MOVE ON!

ROFLOL!!! The above may not pertain to anyone but me, but I will freely admit if ANYONE gave me a gecko, or a green funky snake, or a monitor - and I KNEW how to take care o'it - I would NOT turn the cutie down!

Hello, Thamnophis.com! I'm mk and I'm a sucker.

There. I admitted it.

GartersRock
10-31-2008, 04:55 PM
Hi Thamnophis.com! I'm Amanda and I am a MAJOR sucker.

I live this... Everyday. LOL! I am getting a good half a dozen or more snakes tomorrow. ROFL!!!

infernalis
10-31-2008, 04:55 PM
Copper ate 5 big slugs.

I locked her in a 5 gallon tote with leaves and grass, misted it all lightly and placed the slugs in there with her.

This morning they were gone, and she was fat-n-happy.

That does remind me, another pointer for stubborn feeders.

Dekayi snakes hunt for food in the twilight. Slugs and worms are down under the earth during the day.

Stubborn feeders are more likely to give in and eat if you leave them overnight in a damp environment with some real grass.

It completely simulates the natural conditions that they are used to.

With the exception of the option to leave;)

This all applies to red bellies as well.

http://www.reformedsniper.net/snakes/red.jpg

infernalis
10-31-2008, 04:59 PM
Welcome to Thamnophis Anonymous.

reptile3
11-02-2008, 01:01 PM
I might try that with my dekayi's!!!

Copper ate 5 big slugs.

I locked her in a 5 gallon tote with leaves and grass, misted it all lightly and placed the slugs in there with her.

This morning they were gone, and she was fat-n-happy.

That does remind me, another pointer for stubborn feeders.

Dekayi snakes hunt for food in the twilight. Slugs and worms are down under the earth during the day.

Stubborn feeders are more likely to give in and eat if you leave them overnight in a damp environment with some real grass.

It completely simulates the natural conditions that they are used to.

With the exception of the option to leave;)

This all applies to red bellies as well.

http://www.reformedsniper.net/snakes/red.jpg

Lori P
11-02-2008, 01:04 PM
Welcome to Thamnophis Anonymous.

Isn't that a 12-snake program? :D

infernalis
11-02-2008, 01:22 PM
Step one is admitting you have a problem.

I like snakes, I want more, NO problem:D

GartersRock
11-02-2008, 02:16 PM
:D:D Agreed!!

prattypus
11-02-2008, 10:15 PM
I would say I'm more of a schmuck than a sucker. I'm at five now, and will impatiently bide my time until the next litters are ready for some homes...

Hornets23
11-02-2008, 10:49 PM
Yep ditto....already trying to decide what i want to buy next year....

drache
11-03-2008, 04:37 AM
Isn't that a 12-snake program? :D
I wish I'd known - I might have stopped at 12, but it's too late now
now I need a different program

Lori P
11-03-2008, 06:02 PM
Rhea, no worries, you can repeat the program as many times as you want. :D

Garter_Gertie
11-03-2008, 07:14 PM
Yeah, man. We'll just do it and do it and do it and do it until we get it right!

ssssnakeluvr
11-03-2008, 07:24 PM
I wish I'd known - I might have stopped at 12, but it's too late now
now I need a different program
I think I am on the 120 snake program.....getting close!!!

anji1971
11-03-2008, 09:39 PM
I've got a half a dozen snakes worth of "rehabilitation" left to go. And two empty tanks........
But I like Don's program. 12 snakes ten times over. Cool.:D

ssssnakeluvr
11-03-2008, 09:48 PM
I've got a half a dozen snakes worth of "rehabilitation" left to go. And two empty tanks........
But I like Don's program. 12 snakes ten times over. Cool.:D
I am rather enjoying the program too!!! :cool:

anji1971
11-03-2008, 09:52 PM
It would seem that no matter how many times one repeats the 12-snake ritual, there really is no cure..................What fun!!!!:D

ssssnakeluvr
11-03-2008, 09:56 PM
It would seem that no matter how many times one repeats the 12-snake ritual, there really is no cure..................What fun!!!!:D
yes, it's definitely incurable...I will go thru the 12 steps many many times...

infernalis
11-08-2008, 09:11 AM
While on the subject of cures and Dekayi's....

Last Thursday evening while working her shift at the hospital, a young nurse hears loud screams coming from the lab area.

She ran into the room to find nearly all the staff standing up on the tables and chairs screaming 'Snake!"

This little injured Dekayi girl had crawled into the hospital! (Smart snake, now she's getting proper medical care)

She is getting treated with silvadine, and the nurse who "rescued" her co-workers from this vicious serpent has a new pet.

We have been in contact, and the snake is in good hands now, She is following my instructions and has set up a 10 gallon with cage carpet for the snake to heal up in.

Here is the snakie that caused all the commotion in the hospital....

http://www.danceswithreptiles.com/DK/Injured/DKW.jpg

Garter_Gertie
11-08-2008, 09:14 AM
She is GORGOUS! I just love her coloration and markings.

anji1971
11-08-2008, 10:31 AM
Fortunate for that little girl there was at least one snake lover in the bunch!
I'm glad she's found a caring new home.:)

GartersRock
11-08-2008, 10:32 AM
Aw what a sweet little girl! Glad she is in good hands now!

infernalis
11-08-2008, 10:37 AM
Fortunate for that little girl there was at least one snake lover in the bunch!
I'm glad she's found a caring new home.:)

Our nurse friend is more of a "snake tolerator"

I have warned her that this dekayi could change that:eek:

anji1971
11-08-2008, 10:39 AM
Well, it only takes one! Just ask Gertie..........;)

Garter_Gertie
11-08-2008, 10:53 AM
ANJI!!!!!!!!!!!!! Naughty, naughty, naughty! ROFLOLPMP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You know me too well. And, FWIW, you can blame Dekay - since he sold me my firstest ever precious first snakes!

Anj, you crack me up!

Dekay, glad you warned her. Did you tell her about the 12 X A Billon Step Program we have here? Do. She's welcome! :)

drache
11-08-2008, 11:20 AM
I need more space . . .

reptile3
11-08-2008, 11:59 AM
Wayne, that is a nice looking Dekayi!!! Wow, i live in the country, woods etc & can't find any snakes, just stray cats!!LOL

Glad to hear the dekayi is doing good.

YES very addictive... I started out with no garters. Just a ball python.
Now I have 1 red sided, 2 dekayi's, and on the way
another red sided, florida blue, eastern garter & an eastern milksnake.
thanks to... Aundrea, for getting me into them.
Wayne, Kyle & Shannon... for the snakies!!!:D

infernalis
11-09-2008, 07:49 AM
Well our friendly nurse is "snakebit" over her Dekayi:D

Her exact word of choice was "enamoured" meaning she has fallen in love.

That was quick:cool:

Next step is to get her over here with us.....

Lori P
11-09-2008, 07:59 AM
Alright!! Well done Wayne, for helping her see the light... :-)

Garter_Gertie
11-09-2008, 10:53 AM
Dekay, the Woman Whisperer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YOU GO, BOYFRIEND! Good job! :)

reptile3
11-09-2008, 02:21 PM
Dekay, the Woman Whisperer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YOU GO, BOYFRIEND! Good job! :)

mk, you make my day with your posts!!!:)

Snake lover 3-25
11-09-2008, 02:27 PM
lol too funny glad we'll soon have another garter addicted person on the forum:D:p