PDA

View Full Version : IRC (Internet Relay Chat)

NetBSD
10-23-2008, 02:31 PM
would anyone be interested in joining this live chat? i can provide a easy howto to get you up and running and chatting with live users.

if this in anyway is outof line or is not wanted by the owner of this forum please remove it, i dont wanna cause any trouble here, i just think its a neat idea to have live chat aswell as the forums. one way this would benifit would be for urgent help, instead of waiting for a response you could get one almost instantly, givin a user is active at his/her PC.

there is also a java clint for this chat that can be run on the site if the owner is interested i can set some time aside to help set this up.

drache
10-23-2008, 02:33 PM
I seem to remember something like that happening a bit over a year ago
I missed it, but I think it was enjoyed by the participants

infernalis
10-23-2008, 02:36 PM
Several of our members have MSN, Yahoo or AIM already running, the icon appears by their name on every post.

NetBSD
10-23-2008, 02:38 PM
Several of our members have MSN, Yahoo or AIM already running, the icon appears by their name on every post.

i understand that but IRC is like a yahoo chat room, many users not just one per window, know what im sayin? eh its just an idea to toss around and im very very very bored, lol.

reptile3
10-23-2008, 02:51 PM
i understand that but IRC is like a yahoo chat room, many users not just one per window, know what im sayin? eh its just an idea to toss around and im very very very bored, lol.

they have a chat like what your talking about, on MSN
mgroup81873@hotmail.com
Thamnophis

Kevin, Brett & Lulu are on most of the time

Stefan-A
10-23-2008, 02:57 PM
I'm prepared to give it a try. Server and channel?

NetBSD
10-23-2008, 03:25 PM
I'm prepared to give it a try. Server and channel?

well i guess if people wanna give it a try you can always join server irc.undernet.org and channel #garters

Garter_Gertie
10-23-2008, 05:10 PM
I'd love to actually talk to folks - so cool! However, I've dialup and I think I'd be sitting around until the cows came home.

But you swifty guys, go for it! Tell folks I say, "Hi!"

reptile3
10-23-2008, 05:16 PM
well i guess if people wanna give it a try you can always join server irc.undernet.org and channel #garters

I'm there, reptile3

jitami
10-23-2008, 06:09 PM
I'm there, Sly... who's SpineShank?

jitami
10-23-2008, 06:18 PM
Stefan, just missed you! Cute quote :) I've never used IRC so feeling pleased with myself for even getting there! Undernet's website isn't the most user friendly, but managed to get connected and found the right channel, so I'm thrilled! :D

dashnu
10-23-2008, 06:59 PM
I tried to get users to sign into a msn group at that was to "tech" either that or I am hated :p Or Bill is who knows.

Good luck..

an irc room would be cool I could log in from any of my 13 gentoo servers using irssi from work.. weeeee

If it picks up i'll pop in.

infernalis
10-24-2008, 05:55 AM
for me posting on a forum allows me to respond at my own pace.

Like many others, I have a family, and the kids are noisy, or demanding, etc.

Ever try to participate in a group chat when you are being badgered every 30 seconds?

Heck, just yesterday I was composing a POST, it took nearly half an hour just to get a couple paragraphs written.

Completing a phone call uninterrupted can be a task in this household:eek:

reptile3
10-24-2008, 06:56 AM
Wayne I have the same issues, the 3 ppl i talk on my yahoo, know if I am gone for more than 2 min, I am away(I have it set to 2 m,in, to say I am idle.) Either Gavin needs me, or Sarah. I am lucky if I get 10 min, sitting here. Phone calls.. you can forget that!! I do them when they are in school!!! Ask Aundrea.!!!:p

Ever try to participate in a group chat when you are being badgered every 30 seconds?

Heck, just yesterday I was composing a POST, it took nearly half an hour just to get a couple paragraphs written.

NetBSD
10-24-2008, 06:27 PM
well ive seen a few join and leave, btw im SpineShank. thats my known nick on alot of IRC servers. trying to decide if this is really worth it or not. seems alot of you guys are like me, dont have alot of time to sit on the internet and chat but all my PC's are always on and connected so ill always be in that channel unless i decide to give up

drache
10-25-2008, 04:52 PM

yeah - that's where I'm at too
I've got a couple of friends I google chat with occasionally and they're used to me suddenly disappearing
sometimes a post can take a few hours even
but the idea sounds nice