PDA

View Full Version : What is this?

ATNGUY
10-22-2008, 08:03 PM
Hey forum! I have been in hiding for a few weeks. I am back, and I have a problem.

Any ideas what this skin condition is? I treated her with hydrogen peroxide a few times. I was hoping it would go away after she shed, but it became more pronounced.

I noticed the condition a couple of weeks ago. It is not spreading. None of the other snakes in the tank show any signs of the condition. Appetite not affected

I cannot imagine a way for this to be a burn. Should I try antibiotic or anti-fungal topical cream?

Thanks for your help and insights.

http://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//500/medium/Skin_problem_2.jpg
http://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//500/Skin_problem_1.jpg

Snake lover 3-25
10-22-2008, 08:06 PM
:eek: i have no idea what that is..... but i'd put bacitracin on it instead of peroxide....... but it does look like a quite bad burn....... do you have a light inside the tank???

ATNGUY
10-22-2008, 08:14 PM
We have a light, and it just occurred to me, maybe one of the kids picked up a snake and allowed the snake to come in contact with the light....

infernalis
10-22-2008, 08:32 PM
From what I have heard on here neosporin works great.

Silvadine SSD ointment is what I use, since my vet approved and prescribed it for treating Garters.

That does look like a burn...

Ointment will help it heal, and prevent infections.

Best wishes, and good luck.

tyflier
10-22-2008, 09:00 PM
Yea...looks like a burn. Take out any particulate substrate and house her on papertowel or newspaper. Use a triple antibiotic ointment that does not caontain anesthetic. Topical anesthetics in even minute doses can be very dangerous to your snakes. Bacitracin or neosporin work well.

You might consider reducing the ambeint humidity for the nest few weeks. Excess moisture will encourage bacterial growth.

It's not a bad idea to seperate her if she is housed communally just to prevent any contamination from the other snakes, and it would also be wise to spend some extra time cleaning the cage during the next few weeks.

Good Luck!

jitami
10-23-2008, 08:00 AM
Use a triple antibiotic ointment that does not caontain anesthetic. Topical anesthetics in even minute doses can be very dangerous to your snakes.

Just wanted to say thanks for pointing that out! I had never heard that and don't know if I would have even thought twice about using the one with anesthetic.

crzy_kevo
10-23-2008, 02:00 PM
wow chris i must say your knowledge of how to treat such a thing is very impressive

prattypus
10-23-2008, 02:05 PM
Hope it clears up, that's a nice looker!

tyflier
10-23-2008, 02:13 PM
wow chris i must say your knowledge of how to treat such a thing is very impressive
Thanks. I've dealt with my fair share of injured snakes. I've rehabbed Cal kings that were picked up and dropped by owls, ball pythons that were burned, starved, and beaten up by cats, serious cases of stomatitis...

I've had some trials, for sure...But most of the time if you can prevent infection, they will do just fine. Snakes heal incredibly well from some pretty devestating injuries. You just gotta keep 'em clean, stress free, and well fed...

Snake lover 3-25
10-23-2008, 05:54 PM
wow you should be our thamnophis vet!!!!:eek:

good luck Andrew:D

prattypus
10-23-2008, 09:56 PM
Since I am too new to be able to identify worth a bean, what type is she?

guidofatherof5
10-23-2008, 10:25 PM
Silvadine SSD ointment is very good on these type of skin injuries. You will need to keep a close eye on this one when it sheds next. It looks like there is actual skin and scales missing. When he/she sheds you will have an open wound down to the muscle. Then the ointment treatment will become even more important to keep it from a more serious infection. A wild caught that I had needed 2 sheds to repair the damage it had incurred. The ointment was paramount to his recovery. Since it's on top, keeping the med. on the injury shouldn't be too difficult. Good luck and your buddy is in our prayers.

infernalis
10-23-2008, 10:35 PM
Another fan of Silvadine, always have a tube handy.

It works miracles on snakes. (And people too)

reptile3
10-24-2008, 07:03 AM
Another fan of Silvadine, always have a tube handy.

It works miracles on snakes. (And people too)

Iguana's too!!!!:D

infernalis
10-24-2008, 08:58 AM
I first learned of this "miracle cream" when I was attempting to fix moms furnace and it discharged high pressure steam into my face.

No scars, absolutely wonderful stuff, we also keep it in our first aid kit at the race track.

Then when my reptile vet said to use it on my snakes, She tried to sell me some, said sorry I keep that around anyways.

olive oil
10-24-2008, 10:55 AM
I've used it for sunburns. Love the stuff.

Snake lover 3-25
10-24-2008, 11:14 AM
i had one who was cut so deep you could see the muscle, and even parts of organs...... it took 5 or 6 sheds to even cover the would with a very thin transparent layer of skin.......:(

Garter_Gertie
10-24-2008, 12:03 PM
Okay... I'll be the turd in the punch bowl...

If snakelette was burned - how did that happen? And is there a way to keep it from happening again??? Maybe the kids should NOT be messing with the snake without adults supervision?

prattypus
10-24-2008, 06:29 PM
Okay... I'll be the turd in the punch bowl...

If snakelette was burned - how did that happen? And is there a way to keep it from happening again??? Maybe the kids should NOT be messing with the snake without adults supervision?

Accidents do happen. Given the fact that he came here for help shows a responsibility to the snake. If it was the kids, I am sure that issue has already been addressed in a manner not as public as this forum.

...and you're not a turd... just a concerned herper!~:D

Garter_Gertie
10-25-2008, 07:21 AM
Well, thank you, Mr. Jason Pratty! I do appreciate you taking things in the manner they were intended and not widening my trachea with both of your boots!

You present excellent points that my perceptions find difficult to grasp. You're right. I like the enlightenment.

Thank you very much for both understanding and giving understanding. And realizing I wasn't trying to start a fire, but well... I thought needed to be addressed. And I guess I was wrong.

THANKS!!!