PDA

View Full Version : Toadlets

bsol
10-20-2008, 06:02 PM
Anyone know where to order them?

My guys have been eating salamanders and toads, but its cold now. I have guppies in their pond and have tried tilapia and salmon(I try weekly) with no luck. I've done pinkies but they ignore them. So... I am going to order some toadlets if possible.

Unless anyone has anyother ideas?!?!?

Zephyr
10-20-2008, 06:07 PM
Anyone know where to order them?

My guys have been eating salamanders and toads, but its cold now. I have guppies in their pond and have tried tilapia and salmon(I try weekly) with no luck. I've done pinkies but they ignore them. So... I am going to order some toadlets if possible.

Unless anyone has anyother ideas?!?!?If you can find one last toad, humanely euthanize it and use it for scenting pinkies.

Or you could try worms. What species of garter are you feeding?

infernalis
10-20-2008, 06:07 PM
Good luck, and if you find any, let us know where.

The best thing to do is start "training" your snakes to eat other things.

A live fish flopping around on the floor of the cage will usually get attention. We remove all of our snakes from their homes and feed them in a separate box. (That keeps aspen off the food)

The very first time I ever tried Tilapia, I was so over it, I threw the damn fish away. No one wanted it, just ignored it.

Then I tried again, This time I cut the tilapia into a small thin strip, rubbed it with "live" fish slime, and then shook it in front of the snake with hemostats (tongs) and sure enough, the garter took it.

When switching over to pinks, I thaw the pinks in a bowl with the cut up fish, makes the pink smell like fish.

That works so effectively that my Nerodia (water snake) eats pinks now as well.

bsol
10-20-2008, 06:14 PM
Its odd because they will keep tasting the salmon but turn away. Its almost like they want it...

I'll grab some worms. I'm not sure if I can physically harm a toad even though I'd be euthanizing it.

Do they eat pinks now w/o the scenting from fish?

aSnakeLovinBabe
10-20-2008, 06:21 PM
you could try weaning them from salamanders and toads directly on to pink mice via scenting. You could always keep yourself a pet toad... and then just rub pinkies on it when you need to. I find that my garters prefer salmon over tilapia... but they REALLY like trout. I keep a little frog in my snakeroom that I sometimes have to harass for his scent.

Eventually via scenting methods, you should be able to get your garters to eat other things besides toads and sally's. Try feeding a toad first... then offer a differnt food item... often that initial feeding response will cause them to accept things after it that they normally would not take... they almost go into a frenzy.

The method wayne mentioned where you mix in the fish and pinkies together works very well... it's how I got all my water snakes eating mice (now as long as the mice are wet they dont have to smell like a fish lol)

If all goes well in no time your snakes will be eating unscented pinkies!

bsol
10-20-2008, 06:23 PM
verywell... i'll stay on these two.
If I locate toadlets I'll drop in a link or what ever I find.

infernalis
10-20-2008, 06:24 PM
Yes Brandon, They all take unscented pinks now.

I still mix the diet, so it's just convenient to thaw the fish and pinks together, sometimes I cut up some night crawlers and add it to the "stew"

bsol
10-20-2008, 06:31 PM
mmmmm... a cubed gelatin mix would be tremendous!
good deal guys!

infernalis
10-20-2008, 07:14 PM
Alan Francis (UK) has a recipe for just such a food.

*Garter Snake Home Page - Alan Francis (http://www.gartersnake.co.uk/)

bsol
10-21-2008, 04:23 AM
very nice wayne!!!