PDA

View Full Version : Strange looking patch on head

infernalis
10-19-2008, 11:55 AM
Any thoughts??

http://www.danceswithreptiles.com/eastern/head.jpg

Stefan-A
10-19-2008, 11:59 AM
Looks like an "old" burn or cut to me. If it's scheduled to shed soon, then it would be more noticable and look worse than it is.

crzy_kevo
10-19-2008, 01:21 PM
well my thoughts would be either a blister of some sort but i dont really know if snakes can get a blister but i dont think its a burn or anything seeing as its a baby but i guess if the heat lamp is left in the enclosure it could be possible that it touched it is the scale completely lifted off because a while back george had scratched a layer of one of her scales on her head off but it came back next shed

infernalis
10-19-2008, 01:48 PM
It is a baby and there is no heat.

The lamp illuminating that cage is 6 feet up (plenty far enough away)

The camera Macro captured it more detailed. To the eye, it looks like a green speck.

So a burn is out of the question.

The snake is only a few months old, Just now spotted the patch.

guidofatherof5
10-19-2008, 02:25 PM
Could it be left over from a shed? What does it feel like? From the side of that scale does it seem elavated? How is the snake dealing with it? Does it rub its head in that area? Does it seem irratating to the snake? Have you done anything for it yet? Maybe some neosporin. Best yet have a vet check it out. Best of luck with the little one.

crzy_kevo
10-19-2008, 03:05 PM
wow first off guido i love how inquisitive and active you are with the forum as a new member and second those were all very good questions is it possible for a snake to get a blister or something linke that because also to me the scale looks a little skin like like it is tender and can get mishapen

drache
10-19-2008, 03:39 PM
old shed would be my best guess

Snake lover 3-25
10-19-2008, 04:24 PM
sooty had the same thing on her nose..... i think it is a missing scale that got rubbed off when she was rubbing her head on the screen top........ think it's the same thing...... sooty's went away with the next shed but i did put some bacitracin on it......

aSnakeLovinBabe
10-19-2008, 07:25 PM
that looks to me like a missing scale. actually... from your picture... it looks exactly like a missing scale. I have seen this happen in babies where when they shed... for some reason something does not work right and a scale just comes off. To me... that just looks like skin that is covering an area that a scale should be. It has also recently happened to a scale on my baby male eastern milk's head.

I was helping a friend from the shows sex his baby amel checkereds... and happened to notice one with that EXACT scale completely missing yesterday. No scar tissue... just skin where a scale was supposed to be. I am not sure if it will grow back or not!

infernalis
10-19-2008, 08:08 PM
The more I stared at the picture, the more I thought the same thing.

I am keeping this one, so we'll see how it progresses.

Lori P
10-20-2008, 05:35 AM
Wayne, Fluffy had something similiar a while back and it turned out to be a few missing scales...

http://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//500/medium/Fluffy_head_resize.jpg

Not sure if it's the same thing, but that's what it reminded me of.

reptile3
10-20-2008, 07:28 AM
is fluffy's head better? where the missing scales were?

George decided to curl up on a pair of scissors, so I did want to leave him that way, & tried my best to help him out. Finally did, after an hour of helping him. He rubbed off a few scales... but after 1-2 sheds, you can't tell.

Lori P
10-20-2008, 08:54 AM
Yes, everything grew back. :-)

Tell your snakey that running with scissors is bad!!!!!!

reptile3
10-20-2008, 12:02 PM
Yes, everything grew back. :-)

Tell your snakey that running with scissors is bad!!!!!!

I will let him know that!!! LOL Mommy, put the scissors where no one can find them, not even George!!

Aundrea
10-20-2008, 12:07 PM
Lori and Stephanie you guys are funny!! :D I remember George doing that. Silly boy.

Lori I love your bp's name. Fluffy LOL That is cute :D

guidofatherof5
10-20-2008, 01:05 PM
After looking at it for a while, I think it is a missing scale that is in the process of growing back. The color of it is very close to the others and it appears to be staying it the bounderies of that scales location. I think time will color it like the others. Just my thoughts. Great looking snake.

adamanteus
10-20-2008, 01:32 PM
I'm inclined to think it is a scale which has failed to slough an old skin.

infernalis
10-20-2008, 02:02 PM
However insightful that may seem James, I would rather wait for the next shed and see.

I'd hate to pick at it only to find it is a scale healing.

Thanks Guido, Several babies from that litter have the same colorings.

Most of the little ones were "normal" looking, olive colored, etc.

A small few have that orangish bronze color, quite attractive I think.

Snake lover 3-25
10-20-2008, 06:19 PM
sooty's grew back fine too:D and hers was the exact same looking think.... but it was on the tip of her nose:D

infernalis
10-21-2008, 08:18 AM
Could it be left over from a shed? What does it feel like? From the side of that scale does it seem elavated? How is the snake dealing with it? Does it rub its head in that area? Does it seem irratating to the snake? Have you done anything for it yet? Maybe some neosporin. Best yet have a vet check it out. Best of luck with the little one.

Wow, that sounds EXACTLY like something I would say:D (insert Rod Serling commentary here)

I use Silvadine SSD ointment, My vet prescribes it for anything that may get or is already infected, this stuff is so potent humans need a prescription to obtain it.

The snake behaves normal, does not seem to be in any discomfort..

I agree with your second observation, Looks like a scale came off during the last shed, and it is healing over..

infernalis
11-20-2008, 06:49 PM
Update on this one, the patch is growing over nicely, it does seem as if it was a missing scale, right now its hardly noticeable:)

guidofatherof5
11-20-2008, 06:54 PM
That's great news. I'm glad you posted. I had been wondering about the little one. Did you treat it in anyway or just leave it alone?

infernalis
11-20-2008, 07:02 PM
Little dabs of Silvadine, just in case. (infections are never good, especially so close to the brain.)

I just saw a similar situation with my Asian Green snake, He was shedding and the last third got stuck, I was peeling it off and a scale "snagged" and came off with the shed.

Now I'm having a problem with my Milk Carmella, she has stuck shed on her head, I feel blessed to have a milk snake so mellow that she lets me pick at her face:eek:

I know I'm dreaming, but it's almost like a karma thing, I saved her from certain doom, so she lets me get away with a lot in return.

BTW Steve, thanks for your concern....