PDA

View Full Version : Minnows

Aundrea
10-13-2008, 10:38 AM
I am wondering where everyone keeps their minnows in? What size tank and do i have to buy a pump and filter for them? Im thinking of buying 20 Minnows.

Garter_Gertie
10-13-2008, 10:48 AM
I think you'd be better served keeping guppies. Minnows have that thaiminze or whatever going and guppies don't. Thaiminze prohibits the uptake of thaimin, an important vitamin.

And you could keep a bazillion guppies in a 5.5 gal tank! Heck! I kept 4-6 in a 3X5" take-your-leftovers-to-work thingy for six weeks! All I did was top off the water with water I'd let sit so the chlorine evaporated.

infernalis
10-13-2008, 10:56 AM
MK that statement is species specific.

Rosie reds, Catfish, Carp, Goldfish and fatheads are all big NO NO's.

However that leaves hundreds of other minnow species to feed without a problem.

Yes Guppies are sure fire safe, but please don't condemn all minnow species as food.

I keep a 10 gallon tank, a small air stone and filter, Right now it is stocked with Blacknose Dace minnows

In the end, a 10 is cheaper, I can find 10 gallon tanks for under 11 dollars. They have all you need at wal mart.

Garter_Gertie
10-13-2008, 11:16 AM
But, Dekay, you haul yours outta your 'crik.' Please don't lead someone to think Blacknose Dace, memembers of the minnow family, are common, easily found fish in pet stores.

The only minnows I know available to the hobbiest - *unless* they live near a bait store and know specifics about minnows and know what they're doing - are rosy reds at Petco, PetSmart, et al.

You with your Dace [minnows] are more the exception than the rule because you are so dang lucky and that wonderful wonderful world of your outside your back door.

But the *only* place I've yet even found feeder guppies is at Twin Cities Reptiles. I gotta laugh! Before I found them at TCR, I asked the Fish Department Dufus-Bobo-Head at Petco if they had feeder guppies and the FDDBH said, "I've never heard of them. What are they?" I bet he would have answered, "I don't know," to "Who's buried in Grant's tomb?"

But if one did buy xpensive guppies and they breed like, well... Like guppies! The cost should be minimal.

Maybe one can only get feeder guppies at reptile kind'a places???????????

jitami
10-13-2008, 11:26 AM
I think only really really lucky people can even find them at reptile kind'a places :)

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing, though. Aundrea's were probably rosy reds from Petco/Petsmart/etc and just fine for getting a reluctant eater going, but should be moved away from as soon as possible. I still give them to my guys every once in a while and Sly did live for quite a while... maybe even a year(?) on only rosy reds before I knew any better and switched him to pinkies.

Aundrea
10-13-2008, 11:33 AM
Rosy red minnows are not good for the garters??????

Garter_Gertie
10-13-2008, 11:35 AM
I do consider myself very lucky finding those guppies. I didn't want to take the chance - though as you point out it prolly would have been okay for awhile - on the rosie reds.

Garter_Gertie
10-13-2008, 11:37 AM
Aundra, ONLY if that's what they eat - and eat nothing else - for quite some time. As Shannon says, the best diet is a varied diet.

GartersRock
10-13-2008, 11:39 AM
But, Dekay, you haul yours outta your 'crik.' Please don't lead someone to think Blacknose Dace, memembers of the minnow family, are common, easily found fish in pet stores.

The only minnows I know available to the hobbiest - *unless* they live near a bait store and know specifics about minnows and know what they're doing - are rosy reds at Petco, PetSmart, et al.

You with your Dace [minnows] are more the exception than the rule because you are so dang lucky and that wonderful wonderful world of your outside your back door.

But the *only* place I've yet even found feeder guppies is at Twin Cities Reptiles. I gotta laugh! Before I found them at TCR, I asked the Fish Department Dufus-Bobo-Head at Petco if they had feeder guppies and the FDDBH said, "I've never heard of them. What are they?" I bet he would have answered, "I don't know," to "Who's buried in Grant's tomb?"

But if one did buy xpensive guppies and they breed like, well... Like guppies! The cost should be minimal.

But it does help to know the species Wayne is using cause I get my minnows out of the super amazing San Marcos river. ;)

jitami
10-13-2008, 11:43 AM
Aundrea, from what I understand they're not as bad as goldfish, but do contain thiaminase which should be avoided. Like I said, I do use them sparingly and wouldn't hesitate to use them for a non-feeder, but probably not worth setting up a tank for. Now Wayne's awesome minnows from his creek or guppies as Gertie said would be awesome and I'd love to have a feeder tank full for my guys!

Aundrea
10-13-2008, 11:45 AM
Ohhh ok "whew" I do plan on feeding him different stuff. Im gonna try to feed him the minnows with a pinky in the water and see if he will eat the pinky also. If he starts eating pinkies also how often do I feed him pinkies?

reptile3
10-13-2008, 12:15 PM
Gertie, OMG!!! The petco guy didn't know what they were?? & he works there? LOL that is just too hilarious!!

And sooo who is in Grant's tomb?? JUST KIDDING:p:D

I gotta laugh! Before I found them at TCR, I asked the Fish Department Dufus-Bobo-Head at Petco if they had feeder guppies and the FDDBH said, "I've never heard of them. What are they?" I bet he would have answered, "I don't know," to "Who's buried in Grant's tomb?"

Lori P
10-13-2008, 12:26 PM
I keep mine in a 10 gallon with a very good filter system, because they are overcrowded. I also do water changes (10%) twice a week. You want your feeder fish to be as healthy as possible, right, in order to be feeding your garters as healthy as possible... so in my opinion, don't skimp on their tank. Keep in mind, too, if it's a new tank you need a couple of weeks for it to cycle.

Zephyr
10-13-2008, 01:13 PM
It should be noted that rosy reds, AS WELL AS goldfish are fine for garters; As long as they are part of a varied diet.

And ALL cyprinids, which includes all minnows and most other common baitfish, contain thiaminase.

If you want to be really anal about keeping thiaminase out of your snakes, tilapia, salmon, and trout are supposedly thiaminase free; but then again, seeing as these are available primarily in filet form, your garter misses out on the nutrients it would be receiving from fish guts, eyes, stomach content, etc.

Stefan-A
10-13-2008, 01:15 PM
It should be noted that rosy reds, AS WELL AS goldfish are fine for garters; As long as they are part of a varied diet.
Not even then.

If you want to be really anal about keeping thiaminase out of your snakes,
i.e. alive.

Zephyr
10-13-2008, 01:16 PM
I am wondering where everyone keeps their minnows in? What size tank and do i have to buy a pump and filter for them? Im thinking of buying 20 Minnows.
From my experience with rosey reds, (minnows, tuffies, etc)
these guys need a lot of oxygen turnover.
If you intend on breeding, go with a 20 gallon long.
If it's just for temporary housing, a 10 gallon minimally equipped.
Either tank should have some sort of filter (sponge filters work good here) AND an aerator that has at least 1/3 of the surface of the tank being overturned/bubbled.

Zephyr
10-13-2008, 01:18 PM
Not even then.

i.e. alive.
I can report no problems from feeding adult snakes live rosy reds/goldfish when scented pinkies weren't accepted.
No stunted growth, no jerky movements, and no abnormalities in litters. In fact, my female eastern who was fed primarily on tilapia/salmon chunks dusted with calcium carbonate/reptocal had the largest number of casualties in her litter.

Lori P
10-13-2008, 01:19 PM
Good point Kyle-- I meant to point that out-- I had to add an aerator, was loosing them at a high rate till I did.

Stefan-A
10-13-2008, 01:38 PM
I can report no problems from feeding adult snakes live rosy reds/goldfish when scented pinkies weren't accepted.
No stunted growth, no jerky movements, and no abnormalities in litters.
Well, consider yourself lucky. It is still a well-known risk.

As far as your personal experiences go, you need a lot more samples to be able to say anything regarding the correlation between the particular diet and mortality rate. Especially long-term effects. Thiaminase, on the other hand, is well known.

Zephyr
10-13-2008, 01:45 PM
Well, consider yourself lucky. It is still a well-known risk.

As far as your personal experiences go, you need a lot more samples to be able to say anything regarding the correlation between the particular diet and mortality rate. Especially long-term effects. Thiaminase, on the other hand, is well known.We have one video account of a snake experiencing a "thiaminase seizure."
We also have about 20x more written accounts of snakes, fed on sans live fish diets, dying for no apparent reason.
Also, I have yet to see one nutritional analysis of rosy reds/goldfish proving their "high" thiaminase levels.

Stefan-A
10-13-2008, 02:00 PM
We have one video account of a snake experiencing a "thiaminase seizure."
Thiaminase is not the sole cause of neurological disorders.

We also have about 20x more written accounts of snakes, fed on sans live fish diets, dying for no apparent reason. Equally meaningless.

Also, I have yet to see one nutritional analysis of rosy reds/goldfish proving their "high" thiaminase levels.Have you bothered trying to look it up? I mean, for example the list that has been posted here a number of times with fish containing and not containing thiaminase is based on tests that have actually been conducted. Until someone tests the fish species again and actually proves that they don't contain thiaminase in significant quantities, there's really no reason to assume that the earlier tests gave false results.

infernalis
10-13-2008, 03:07 PM
My feelings have been that if successful garter keepers/breeders say "don't do it" I won't.

It's hard to argue with success, and keeping a small number snakes alive for a year or two is not exactly "success"

Some of the more respected members of this forum have specimens that are several generations down from the original parents they acquired many years ago, follow their lead..........

jitami
10-13-2008, 05:11 PM
Some of the more respected members of this forum have specimens that are several generations down from the original parents they acquired many years ago, follow their lead..........

When I first got Sly in 2002, the general consensus was to feed rosy red minnows aka tuffies because they were considered safe at the time. Now we know better, but I would guess that most(at least US) garter keepers have used minnows as a primary food source at one point or another. I'm not arguing their safety,or lack thereof, as a primary food source now, but I don't think the occasional minnow(or goldfish for that matter) is going to do any harm. Of course, I do not have the experience to back that up and would love to hear from those who do :)

I'm curious how long people have been feeding frozen fish fillets? This seems like a relatively new occurrence that most people have not heard of before coming to this forum. I'm not saying it's bad... I'm assuming we really don't know what kind of nutrition is truly optimal for a garter or how to get that nutrition into them. We're all just doing the best we can with the information we have.

ssssnakeluvr
10-13-2008, 06:22 PM
look in the articles page....link to a study for mink on thiaminase containing fish.... I think it's worse for growing snakes as opposed to adults. I fed goldfish for years to adults before getting a computer and learning more about it, and didn't notice anything...but have seen serioius isues with young ones growing fast...

aSnakeLovinBabe
10-13-2008, 07:07 PM

Feeder guppies are not EVERYWHERE>.. but a good number of stores have them. Also, many bait shops and fish stores offer for sale many other kinds of minnow... they are not that hard to find, you just have to look :) maybe where you are, everyone has rosies, but in many parts of the country, such os not the case, so it is defintely a bad idea to condemn feeding minnows. Minnows are in fact... one of the biggest make ups of a wild garter's diet!

you could also order boxes of already frozen bait minnows such as shiners, dace... offline..:rolleyes:

aSnakeLovinBabe
10-13-2008, 07:24 PM
No stunted growth, no jerky movements, and no abnormalities in litters. In fact, my female eastern who was fed primarily on tilapia/salmon chunks dusted with calcium carbonate/reptocal had the largest number of casualties in her litter.

My garters get a primarily mice diet... as well as all the major garter breeders I know of... and they all do great. I personally CAN report that a diet involving goldfish is fatal. All my garter snakes from my younger, inexperienced years (going on 7-8 years keeping garters now) are DEAD. and It is my fault for feeding them all those fatty, nutritionally incomplete, thiaminase ridden fish. Scott felzer feed his snakes only rodents... and I have seen them in person, they are BIG, they are robust and healthy, they throw large litters and they are AWESOME! I am not saying a rodent only diet is ideal, because IMO, it's not, but I can say that I have seen the long term effects of a diet including thiaminase containing fishes, a diet including variations of safe fishes and rodents, and a diet consisting of purely rodents.

The latter two have proven to produce long lived, healthy, robust snakes. What others do with their snakes is not something I can control, but I do not see how it is worth a risk when evidence has shown time and time again, even if SOME snakes APPEAR to be okay on this diet, that it causes a slow, seizuring death in many. All of the snakes I mentioned before hand... died in that exact manner. They lost their ability to control their movement. Ever since I learned about the thiaminase problem and have been feeding pinkies and salmon with a supplement, I have healthier, bigger, heavier, better feeding babies and robust happy adults. And best of all.... none of them are dieing from thiaminase like effects. Sure... we all lose one time to time... but at least i know I'm not doing it myself with the diet I use.

a customer of mine just lost his girl ribbon snake of 8 years old that had been eating goldfish. It was only 2 feet long... which is puny for an adult female ribbon... do i think that her diet contributed, and most likely, caused her death? absolutely. Do I think that her diet caused her to remain so small and dainty even though she was eating 3-4 days a week? absolutley. I consider her a casualty that I was unfortinately too late to save.

aSnakeLovinBabe
10-13-2008, 07:26 PM
I'm curious how long people have been feeding frozen fish fillets? This seems like a relatively new occurrence that most people have not heard of before coming to this forum. I'm not saying it's bad... I'm assuming we really don't know what kind of nutrition is truly optimal for a garter or how to get that nutrition into them. We're all just doing the best we can with the information we have.

A vitamin supplement, an effort on our parts to find filets that still have bones and skin, and a diet that varies to some degree and includes rodents is a safe bet ;)

jitami
10-13-2008, 07:34 PM
Thanks Shannon :) You do have the experience I was looking for... and have talked/worked with others who have more :)

I'm really leaning toward rodent only... which is pretty much what I've done for Sly for the last 5 years :) It was only that first year that he was on almost exclusively rosey reds.

aSnakeLovinBabe
10-13-2008, 07:37 PM
Thanks Shannon :) You do have the experience I was looking for... and have talked/worked with others who have more :)

I'm really leaning toward rodent only... which is pretty much what I've done for Sly for the last 5 years :) It was only that first year that he was on almost exclusively rosey reds.

haha... thanks... i don't like to advocate an all rodent diet but from what I have seen with other keeper's snakes... they do fantastic on it. My male concinnus will only eat thawed pinkies ever since he started eating them... and he in fact is now the biggest, most robust.. active male I have!!! And his skin is like velvet! haha...

jitami
10-13-2008, 07:43 PM
Sly will only take rodents & live fish... with 95% of his diet being mice. Ella seems to prefer mice & live fish, won't touch tilapia, and grudgingly ate a worm... It's the babies that I'm still trying to figure out. Thankfully they'll eat anything so I get to choose what to stick with and, of course, I want what's best for them :)

Stefan-A
10-13-2008, 10:44 PM
Let's put it this way: It's easier to add calcium, than to subtract thiaminase.

Garter_Gertie
10-14-2008, 06:07 AM
1. I said I felt I was lucky to find feeder guppies as it did take me sometime and I only did find them in a dedicated reptile store. I never mentioned they were common and could be found everywhere.

2. I agree bait shops offer for sale many other kinds of minnows. I acknowledged that but did warn if someone does not know their minnows from a dace or have a good handle on which minnows would be best, it could be tough.

3. I never condemmend feeding minnows - or condemned anyone that does - and even acknowledged rosie reds may have their use when needed. I stated my opinion that I was more comfortable with guppies and very happy I found them.

4. Actually, here in MN Dace are the preferred fish of the Easterns. Not minnows (same family, different fish). The majority of (if not all) the minnows in our waters are those that have been released by fishermen and are not native.

5. We've neighborhood bait stores. However, I'm not well versed in good vs. bad minnows/shiners/chubbs, etc., and don't really wish to become so since I found feeder guppies. I'm fairly sure there are no Dace in the bait stores here - not positive though - as they are a native fish, but not protected as they're not considered game fish.

Feeder guppies are not EVERYWHERE>.. but a good number of stores have them. Also, many bait shops and fish stores offer for sale many other kinds of minnow... they are not that hard to find, you just have to look :) maybe where you are, everyone has rosies, but in many parts of the country, such os not the case, so it is defintely a bad idea to condemn feeding minnows. Minnows are in fact... one of the biggest make ups of a wild garter's diet!

you could also order boxes of already frozen bait minnows such as shiners, dace... offline..:rolleyes:

jitami
10-14-2008, 09:38 AM
Let's put it this way: It's easier to add calcium, than to subtract thiaminase.

Good point... as usual :)

Ok, I'm on a mission to find feeder guppies... as I really do love watching the snakes fish for their food and live fish is the one food they all seem to go nuts for...