PDA

View Full Version : Q? How do you know who is eating???

reptile3
10-11-2008, 01:17 PM
I haven't yet seen any of the 3 snakes I have eat. I do know, 2 shedded, & when I clean out their enclosure, apparently they are going potty!!!

Maybe since they are still adjusting, they won't eat in front of me. Kyle is out alot...

drache
10-11-2008, 01:19 PM
they look/feel lumpy in the middle?

reptile3
10-11-2008, 01:21 PM
they look/feel lumpy in the middle?

Ohhh ok, then all 3 have been eating, just not alot. :D Thanks rhea

drache
10-11-2008, 01:22 PM
oh good - glad they're "showing"

Stefan-A
10-11-2008, 01:22 PM
You can always record what's going on, either using an ordinary digital camera or a webcam. That's how I figured out if both of my viperine snakes were eating, but they were easy to tell apart. edit: I knew at least one of them was eating, but neither showed any noticable lumps.

The easier way would be to separate them and find out that way.

Aundrea
10-11-2008, 01:23 PM
When they look fat in the middle. Thats how I can tell if mine ate. Max and Bennie look HUGE after they eat. They are little piggies :D

reptile3
10-11-2008, 01:24 PM
You can always record what's going on, either using an ordinary digital camera or a webcam. That's how I figured out if both of my viperine snakes were eating, but they were easy to tell apart. edit: I knew at least one of them was eating, but neither showed any noticable lumps.

The easier way would be to separate them and find out that way.

I can try that too! Thanks Stefan!:)

Loren
10-11-2008, 02:01 PM
Best way is to separate them, but you could also use an accurate gram scale, weigh them once a week after they have pooped the last meals out and see who is growing and who isnt. You could weigh them after eating, but they might regurge from the handling.

reptile3
10-11-2008, 10:15 PM
Best way is to separate them, but you could also use an accurate gram scale, weigh them once a week after they have pooped the last meals out and see who is growing and who isnt. You could weigh them after eating, but they might regurge from the handling.

I just weighed all 3 of them 2 days ago. Will wait a week & do it again! thanks

infernalis
11-08-2008, 10:35 AM
I feed mine separately (OK I cheat, my adult DK's eat perched in my hand)

We have a dozen "feeding boxes" and place the snakes in them one at a time with food.

That way I know who eats, and what...

GartersRock
11-08-2008, 11:21 AM
I feed mine separately (OK I cheat, my adult DK's eat perched in my hand)

We have a dozen "feeding boxes" and place the snakes in them one at a time with food.

That way I know who eats, and what...

Same here! Deli cups and feeding boxes so I can be sure they all eat. My litter of 29. I have to do it that way or some little ones might not get to eat.
But yeah. All my snakes get fed separately.

reptile3
11-08-2008, 11:29 AM
Same here! Deli cups and feeding boxes so I can be sure they all eat. My litter of 29. I have to do it that way or some little ones might not get to eat.
But yeah. All my snakes get fed separately.

Maybe I should try that too!!! Thanks

Garter_Gertie
11-08-2008, 11:59 AM
Well... I tried the feeding in a feeding thingie with Peepers and Jeepers and it was more hassle and stress than they liked.

What I do now is... Who said this? Dewclaw? Put the food on a plastic like cottage cheese container lid and I watch; OR I put in a small ceramic bowl and watch, and Peeps and Jeeps now eat. IN FACT they've gotten to the point they ignore the mooshed worm garnish and pull the cut-in-half pinkie out from underneath!

I use the dish more with Peeps and Jeeps and the lid with The Blues Brothers. But I watch both to a) make sure I know who's eating so I can 'target' the non-eating one next time and b) to make sure substrate is not ingested. Thus far it seems the reptibark stuff does not adhere to yummy food.

However, I'm not going to give up watching.

infernalis
11-08-2008, 02:42 PM
:)
Maybe I should try that too!!! Thanks

One thing that I have found that applies with all my snake species..

I have a few "fussy eaters" so I lock them in the feeding box with food.

Example, I have a couple "nervous" adult male garters, I place 2 pinks, 1 cut night crawler (thirds) and a couple flopping live minnows in a tote, and lock the snake in there, make a few posts on here, then go check on them. The food is usually gone after 15-20 minutes.

The little milk babies, I lock them into a deli cup with a thawed pinky overnight. Next morning the pinks are almost always gone.

Fussy DK snakes, lock them in a small box or deli cup with some worms or slugs and some yanked up grass, and leave it overnight.

My bigger Colubrids, I have a very large flat rock in each cage, I just place 2-3 F/T mice on the rock and go to bed, gone by morning.

The Royal Python I have to "tease feed" warmed up food items dangled from tongs.

We had too many incidents whenever communal feeding was tried, so I gave it up completely.

Loren
11-08-2008, 02:54 PM
Wayne makes a good point. Ideally, communal feedings should ALWAYS be supervised. Even the most non-snake-eaters have been known to swallow a cagemate that was connected to the other end of a food item.

infernalis
11-08-2008, 03:25 PM
Extracting a sibling that is 50 percent down is not much fun....

They both made it, but is was scary enough to drive home the point.

Tori
11-08-2008, 03:50 PM
Extracting a sibling that is 50 percent down is not much fun....

I've done that more than once.....I never feed as a group anymore, especially the babies. But trying to get them into deli cups are a nightmare for me. I have a bunch of small buckets with lids that I use. For the larger snakes I use a five gallon bucket and usually sit there and watch them, all but the stubborn ones, eat.

adamanteus
11-08-2008, 05:02 PM
I always feed my snakes in situ, in groups. I even feed my babies in large groups. I find the frenzied competition that ensues is a valuable trigger to encourage the more reluctant feeders to eat. But I always supervise feedings, I don't blink, if I can help it, because accidents can happen very quickly.