PDA

View Full Version : my work in progress

NetBSD
10-10-2008, 09:33 AM
well on another forum i posted this project and got one person saying its way to big for 2 garter snakes, its 13"x18"x41" roughly 41 gallon. what do you guys think?

its an old floor model TV from 1984 that i gutted

http://imnotmark.zapto.org:3030/Pics/Jake/S6300024-1024.jpg

and this is one of the guys going in after i finish it.

http://imnotmark.zapto.org:3030/Pics/Jake/jake3.JPG
http://imnotmark.zapto.org:3030/Pics/Jake/jake2.JPG

i saved this guy after some kid ran him over with a bike

Tori
10-11-2008, 03:38 AM
There is no such thing as too large of a cage for garters. They are very active snakes and can use all that room a lot more than most snakes. I think it would be fun to try a project like that. Keep us up to date on the work that you do.

Stefan-A
10-11-2008, 03:57 AM
Welcome aboard. :)

I agree with Tori, there's really no such thing as too large of a cage. Some of us here have much larger enclosures. My own enclosures are about twice as big, as far as volume goes. They're definitely not small, but they're not too big either.

drache
10-11-2008, 04:06 AM
welcome to the forum
I've got three garters in a 4'x3' enclosure and I wish I could give them more space because they do utilize it
the person who told you that your enclosure is too big for two garters probably keeps less active snakes
have fun with your retrofit

Lori P
10-11-2008, 06:41 AM
Oh how cool-- my grandmother just got rid of an old cabinet tv and man, I stood there and looked at that thing wondering what I could do with it!! You have to keep us updated as it progresses!! And I concur 100%-- there is no such thing as too much room for garters. Just give them lots of cozy hides, too. :-)

gregmonsta
10-11-2008, 07:49 AM
It's excellent!!! :) .... don't let anyone tell you that a garter needs a small space rofl.

infernalis
10-11-2008, 08:36 AM
Welcome. :D

That's a great idea.

When your done, can you help me with my water cooler aquarium?:eek:

Garters will love that kind of space...

NetBSD
10-11-2008, 08:46 AM
Well that's good to hear that i'm not wasting my time with this. ill definatly keep you guys posted. this is my very first DIY enclosure so its gunna take a little bit till i get it all done, i have no plans what so ever im just making it up as i go along.

I'm off today to get some linoleum to line it with. you guys know where i can get a type of silicone or something to seal the cracks with that is non-toxic? so far at home depot, lows, Walmart, k-mart and some local hardware stores i cant find any with the non-toxic label on it

Garter_Gertie
10-11-2008, 01:13 PM
Oh! Too fun! Keep us aprised of your steps. That's a great idea and if it's something I'm able to do, I'ld love to!

jitami
10-11-2008, 01:17 PM
Very cool project!

reptile3
10-11-2008, 01:20 PM
That is awesome, & very creative. I miss those kinds of TV's!!! HE HE

crzy_kevo
10-11-2008, 05:12 PM
i also agree not too big at al some of us here have outdoor enclosures way bigger than that bith just a handful of snakes in it and it looks very promising for an enclosure :D

dashnu
10-11-2008, 09:37 PM
NetBSD wow really? I ran OpenBSD for endpoints/firewalls for a while. If that is even what your name implies. Switched to Gentoo.

Anyways keep us posted with pics of this project of yours.

NetBSD
10-11-2008, 09:58 PM
NetBSD wow really? I ran OpenBSD for endpoints/firewalls for a while. If that is even what your name implies. Switched to Gentoo.

Anyways keep us posted with pics of this project of yours.

i have 3 NetBSD boxes from 3.0.1 to the latest weekly snapshot and Gentoo x86, amd64 and ppc32. open source FTW!....

anyway, thanks for all the replies guys. yer making me wanna finish this thing even sooner. got the vinyl floor tile's today and got them put in and sealed up with some sealent for the seams, i guess all thats really left is to install the 3x3" fans incase the cage becomes to hot and finish making the front cover....

after the paint for sealing the wood, 3 coats (its that baby safe stuff)
http://imnotmark.zapto.org:3030/Pics/Jake/S6300033-1024.jpg
dont mind that hole in the back, i made as cover for it before the tile went in.

and after laying in the tile and going over every little crack and seam with sealer, i will be rubbing off the extra after it dries.
http://imnotmark.zapto.org:3030/Pics/Jake/S6300035-1024.jpg

thats where im at for now, its already 12am here so i cant really run my saw to make the front cover...

btw whats up with this mods needs to approve posts? is it always like this or is it just for newbies like me? in a way its annoying but a good idea due to all the spamming i see on all the other forums. (if this is anyway outof line i am sorry but i didnt see anything regarding this anywhere on the forums)

Lori P
10-12-2008, 06:41 AM
Oh hey I like that tile. You could glue stuff to it, too, to make interesting climbs. Too fun.

Don't worry, now that you're in, you're in. There's no leaving Thamnophis.com... :eek::D

Garter_Gertie
10-12-2008, 07:22 AM
Net, it is to keep out spammers. A bit irritating for those - like me - anxious and excited to post right away, but in the end best for us all.

This is a really good place. You can't even compare it to kindsnake.com. At all. I think you'll be very very happy here. I know I am.

NetBSD
10-12-2008, 10:20 AM
yeah i really love how the tile turnd out, i didnt think it would look that neat, but i dont think im going to glue stuff to it, im gunna see if i can use suckshun cups instead but im not sure if they will stick yet due to the little bit of texture the tiles have. today im gunna go on the hunt for some fake plants for the enclosure and try to come up with an idea for making some hides. if anyone has some ideas on making hides please share because the local store wants $15 for the cheapest one and i wanna get a few

So far im loving this site, everyone is so friendly and suppotive, you really need that when building an enclosure :D. i dont plan on leaving anytime soon

Garter_Gertie
10-12-2008, 11:04 AM
Uuuhhhmmmm... Net, if it were me, I'd rethink/reconsider the suction cups.

Reason being all I've ever used, like on windows with pretty hangy-things, all have lost their suction after awhile and come crashing down. Much to my sorrow as the pretty hangy-things have much suffered.

Should one o'your branches, climbs, whatevers come crashing down when suction is lost (due to heat/cold/humidity/whatever) your snakes on them could be injured from the fall. As well as any snigglettes underneath that might get beaned.

Good solid, sturdy, well glued crawly-things would, in my thinking, be better and safer for your kids.

Just my thoughts.

Stefan-A
10-12-2008, 12:15 PM
Looking very good. :)

Like Gertie, I wouldn't recommend suction cups, either.

Lori P
10-12-2008, 12:44 PM
I super-glue my suction cups... this way they are kind of there permanently, but, they are small and you can still re-arrange everything. And, you can still pry them off. :-)

drache
10-12-2008, 01:15 PM
I super-glue my suction cups... this way they are kind of there permanently, but, they are small and you can still re-arrange everything. And, you can still pry them off. :-)great idea
I wonder whether other glues would work - like something waterbased

Garter_Gertie
10-12-2008, 01:49 PM
Smart, drache. Because fumes, you know? Lori, do you keep kiddlettes out until the glue cures? Sumpin' to think about...

NetBSD
10-12-2008, 05:53 PM
good thinkin on the cups, didnt cross my mind about them falling off like that. maybe hot glue from a hot glue gun would hold but still be able to me removed easier then other glues. id hate to use anything permanent because i might one day wanna move the garters to another enclosure and rearange this one.

now the dissapointing news, the garter wont eat pinks. i know hes hungry because hes running around the 10gallon liek he does when he wants a salamander or earthworm, the pinky has been in the cage for 2 days now (still alive) and last night i scented him with earthworms but still no go, the garter actually runs from it when it moves or touches the snake, could it be the pinky is to large for the garter? heres a pic of both them in the cage to see the size differance

http://imnotmark.zapto.org:3030/Pics/Jake/S6300036-1.JPG

i personally dont think the pinky is to large but im no expert.

Garter_Gertie
10-12-2008, 06:00 PM
I'm like the LEAST xperience person in getting garters to eat pinkies. I'm still working on it myself.

Others, more xperienced and with tried and true methods under their belts will chime in, I'm sure.

jitami
10-12-2008, 06:09 PM
Size looks ok to me... maybe try putting a piece of earthworm in a dish with the pinky? Sometimes once they've taken one prey item they'll immediately look for another. Good luck!

Zephyr
10-12-2008, 06:30 PM
My advice is add a hide or two. The little guy might be stressed out.

NetBSD
10-12-2008, 07:00 PM
My advice is add a hide or two. The little guy might be stressed out.

i have one hide for him, its nothing special but there is one in thurr

infernalis
10-12-2008, 07:08 PM
If you have any live fish or salamander, rub the pinky with it, so it smells like fish or amphibian.

The worm trick may work also.

NetBSD
10-13-2008, 04:44 PM
nog o ont he scenting with fish, salamanders and even tried earthworms AGAIN. but the snake is really hungry so i tossed in a small earthworm and he gobbled it right up. i dunno how much longer pinky will survive without formula or something but i hate to see it die of hunger.

anyway, does anyone know a good place to purchase garter snakes? id like to get them locally if possible but none of the pet stores i went to stocks them, only snakes i can really find are milks, boas and pythons. the milks are $130 each, the boas and pythons are around $90.

jitami
10-13-2008, 04:56 PM
Net, it may be more humane to put the pinky in the freezer. Freezing pinkies is one of the most humane ways to kill them. It probably is suffering and hungry... ???

Before you joined I went to pick up an order of pinkies from a new supplier. Met her in a parking lot where she handed me a large deli cup full of squirming little babies... I had not specified pre-killed & frozen... I ended up freezing them at home. It's not the easiest thing I have ever done, but was the best for the mice. Good luck.

Hang around here a bit and you'll see some available garters. Kingsnake.com's classified section sometimes has garters under "other snakes." Shipping can be a little expensive, but I'd rather buy from people I've gotten to know and trust... at least as much as you can know and trust someone over the internet :)

Lori P
10-13-2008, 05:26 PM
I agree, put the poor baby down. And then, when you thaw it at another feeding time, mix it well with the fish or worms... you can even cut it up, and may have more success that way. Just keep trying. :-)

NetBSD
10-13-2008, 05:47 PM
well im now taking care of pinky, drop feeding him/her formula and keeping it warm. gotta give the lil guy credit, it survived 3 days with no food or protection so hopefully he makes it. gobbled down alot of formula a few minutes ago.

Snake lover 3-25
10-13-2008, 05:51 PM
hi and welcome:D i agree with EVERYTHING the others have said:D good luck with the little guy:D

infernalis
10-13-2008, 06:09 PM
well im now taking care of pinky, drop feeding him/her formula and keeping it warm. gotta give the lil guy credit, it survived 3 days with no food or protection so hopefully he makes it. gobbled down alot of formula a few minutes ago.

That's so cool.......

reptile3
10-13-2008, 06:14 PM

that is soo sweet!!! I had to do that for my kitty, she needed to be bottle fed.

Good luck

jitami
10-13-2008, 07:52 PM

aaaawwwww... go pinky....

Aundrea
10-13-2008, 08:02 PM

awwwwwwwwwwwww How sweet!!!!! :D Now if I did that I would so get attached to it and keep it as a pet.. Are you gonna keep it as a pet now?

NetBSD
10-13-2008, 08:34 PM
awwwwwwwwwwwww How sweet!!!!! :D Now if I did that I would so get attached to it and keep it as a pet.. Are you gonna keep it as a pet now?

yeah, i wanna breed my own feeder mice once i get Jake (my garter) in his new enclosure, so hopefully this lil guy makes it (i think its a guy. little hard to tell if he has a package or not yet lol).

anyone know what kind of fake plants would be safe in the new enclosure? silk or plastic?

jitami
10-13-2008, 08:39 PM
Good luck with the litlle guy... silk and plastic are both fine :)

Lori P
10-14-2008, 01:35 PM
Good luck with the pinky... I tried this with a couple and they didn't make it... but hopefully you'll have more luck.

I use both kinds of fake plants. :-)

Garter_Gertie
10-14-2008, 02:22 PM
And Lori is the Queen of Very Cool, Great Looking Enclosures. She uses birdhouses, wreaths, all kinds of stuff!

NetBSD
10-14-2008, 06:43 PM
well some updates.....

had the misses pick up some screen for over the side holes, got my 1x3's cut down for the frame work of the front cover and had the misses pick up a fake ivory vine.

dont mind the mess, its my lil work corner and i work messy :D

http://imnotmark.zapto.org:3030/Pics/Jake/S6300041-1024.jpg
http://imnotmark.zapto.org:3030/Pics/Jake/S6300042-1024.jpg

what do you guys think of the fake vine? i dunno if i really like it all that much.

now im trying to decide the location of hides and watering hole. and i dunno if i should add another 3"x3" fan on the other side, this will be the only venting the enclosure will have because the front cover is going to be plexiglas. maybe i can cut a hole in the top for lighting and venting?

Garter_Gertie
10-14-2008, 07:23 PM
I, personally, am not keen on fake plants, etc.

HOWEVER, when I see Lori's stuff, I'm shocked. And Kevie did THE GREATEST tee-pee like kind'a hide for george. And it was stunning.

I'm thinking as you add more and hides and water and whatevers it's going to look better than just what you have now. Know what I mean?

jitami
10-14-2008, 07:25 PM
I would try another fan before cutting a hole in the top. I'd flip the other fan around or wire it backward so you have one blowing in and one blowing out. Gentle breeze year around :) Just make sure you use a thermometer so you know what's going on in there. As for lighting, how about some of those little recessed lights that swivel, like they use for accent lighting? They may fit in those little holes above the fan holes? Btw, I like the fake vine and think you may like it more once you have the rest of the furnishings in place :)

NetBSD
10-14-2008, 07:43 PM
ehh maybe i will like uit more after itas all dressed up..

as for the fans i was thinking of making one sucking air in and one blowing air out, like a wind tunnel sorta thing. right now that fan is set to suck air out and im hoping that with just that little bit of air flow it keeps the air fresh. gunna finish dressing up the inside first and then run a 3 day test without the snake in it, see what the hot and cool side temps will be and all.

NetBSD
10-14-2008, 10:13 PM
well im on a roll tonight, its now 12:08am and i just finished for the night. got the plexiglas cut and the door frame painted.

http://imnotmark.zapto.org:3030/Pics/Jake/S6300043-1024.jpg

you can also see my temp strips i mounted.

still alot of work fine tuning everything and making it safe but i couldnt call it a day till i had this part of it done.

Stefan-A
10-15-2008, 01:40 AM
ehh maybe i will like uit more after itas all dressed up..

as for the fans i was thinking of making one sucking air in and one blowing air out, like a wind tunnel sorta thing. right now that fan is set to suck air out and im hoping that with just that little bit of air flow it keeps the air fresh. gunna finish dressing up the inside first and then run a 3 day test without the snake in it, see what the hot and cool side temps will be and all.
If you intend to use fans, I recommend having some form of draft stops and keeping the RPMs very low. If you get that wind tunnel effect, there's always a risk that it's going to cause respiratory problems. But looking at those ventilation holes, I'd say it's not really necessary to add fans.

Lori P
10-15-2008, 05:52 AM
It's coming right along! One thing-- remember, the snakes spend most of their time (or at least a lot of it) on the bottom of the tank so you might want to put a temp gauge near the floor. :-)

NetBSD
10-15-2008, 07:59 AM
It's coming right along! One thing-- remember, the snakes spend most of their time (or at least a lot of it) on the bottom of the tank so you might want to put a temp gauge near the floor. :-)

already ahead of ya, right inside the door there is one. as for the fan it will have speed control if i decide i need it.

Garter_Gertie
10-15-2008, 11:29 AM
I gotta find me an old TV on craigslist... THIS IS JUST TOO AWSOME and so kitch - just the kind'a things I love!

NetBSD
10-15-2008, 02:18 PM
pinky died :(. just got home to see it bunched up in the corner of his lil tank. on the brighter side while i was snake hunting at my buddies i ran into a nest of redbacked salamanders, so i got about 10-15 of them to hold me over till i can get some minnows or something. gotta find a good source of food for the winter.

Stefan-A
10-15-2008, 03:32 PM
I'm sorry to hear that. :(

jitami
10-15-2008, 03:53 PM
Sorry to hear about little pinky :(

Try scenting a new frozen/thawed pinky with a salamander. If that works you can just save one of the salamanders in the freezer for scenting and eventually won't even need that. Good luck!

infernalis
10-15-2008, 06:57 PM
Sorry to hear that......

Garter_Gertie
10-15-2008, 07:22 PM
You did the best you could, Net. I'm sorry it didn't work out with Pinkie.

Snake lover 3-25
10-16-2008, 11:21 AM
sorry to hear that:(

NetBSD
10-16-2008, 10:08 PM
ok so the past 2 nights i have been using the light from my temporary setup in the new enclosure, what do you guys think of these temps?

about 84F on the hot side, about 80F on the cool side. first time ever using these temp strips so im having a hard time understanding what the temp really is, so maybe someone can help me out here. ive read on a webpage you go by the brightes colour, so thats what i went by, this is also with the 3x3" fan running, if i turn the fan off the hot side jumps up to 86F

this is what i have
http://www.zoomed.com/Library/ProductDBImages/thermo.jpg

reptile3
10-16-2008, 10:20 PM
I have heard those don't give you the exact temps... This is what I have in all my reptiles enclosures..

Acu-Rite Digital Humidity Monitor & Thermometer (http://www.natlallergy.com/product.asp?pn=1526&bhcd2=1224217136)

you can find it at Wal mart, for under $15

ok so the past 2 nights i have been using the light from my temporary setup in the new enclosure, what do you guys think of these temps?

about 84F on the hot side, about 80F on the cool side. first time ever using these temp strips so im having a hard time understanding what the temp really is, so maybe someone can help me out here. ive read on a webpage you go by the brightes colour, so thats what i went by, this is also with the 3x3" fan running, if i turn the fan off the hot side jumps up to 86F

this is what i have
http://www.zoomed.com/Library/ProductDBImages/thermo.jpg

Aundrea
10-16-2008, 10:43 PM
awwwwwwwww Im sorry about the pinky. I was comming on here to ask you how it was doing.

I really love what your doing to the old TV. It sure is comming alont nice. I cant wait to see what it looks like when its all done.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm I might have to have my other half find an old TV and build me something like that :D

NetBSD
10-16-2008, 11:28 PM
testing the temps. dont midn the time on the thing, i never set it.

http://imnotmark.zapto.org:3030/Pics/Jake/temps1.jpg

thats almost and hour and a half without the fan running, now with the fan on the temps are down to 81F already.

oh this is the hot side.

are these temps acceptable or do i need to lower them?

NetBSD
10-17-2008, 09:59 PM
ok so the temps are a luittle different, without the fan running all night when i woke up it was 90F inside the enclosure so i turnd the fan on and it stayd at about 80-81F. with the light off and no air flow the temp is at 75F. are these temps acceptible?

and a little update, went out and got a climbing branch and found a neat little hide thats actually for a fishtank but i think it looked neat.

http://imnotmark.zapto.org:3030/Pics/Jake/jakes-home.jpg

and you guys were right, now with a few more things inside the enclosure im starting to liek the vine i put over top

oh i also lowerd the temp strips as someone said about them being too high before

infernalis
10-18-2008, 12:36 AM
The snake shelter is looking awesome! very creative thinking.

wouldn't one of these fans look cool:D or a pair?

http://www.cpusolutions.com/mm8004744CPU/Images/FANCA80MMBLUELE.jpg

What are those Goldfish for??

NetBSD
10-18-2008, 01:18 AM
The snake shelter is looking awesome! very creative thinking.

wouldn't one of these fans look cool:D or a pair?

http://www.cpusolutions.com/mm8004744CPU/Images/FANCA80MMBLUELE.jpg

What are those Goldfish for??

i have a few of those fans but they are in my 4 PC's :D.

the goldfish are for scenting. i went with goldfish because they seem to last forever no matter what temp the water is or the lighting, i had one live in a cooler for months when i was a young kid.

local shop didnt have minnows :(. from what ive been reading goldfish are real dirty fish and shouldnt be fed to snakes so im kinda screwd for food right now, gunna try another pinky in a few days.

anyone got any idea about my temps? i just got done backing the new limb for the enclosure so i will be set to transfer the snake to the new enclosure once i find out about my temps

infernalis
10-18-2008, 08:47 AM
Your temps are a bit high.

I would worry about fan failure, so it would be best to achieve no higher than 80 without the fan.

Garter snakes in general prefer cooler temps, and with a cabinet as big as yours, it should be easy to get a good gradient.

I'd start with a small reflector bulb, say a 50 watt. Need not be a reptile bulb, we use track light replacements all the time with good results.

I have seen my garters hang out where it is 60 degrees, so 90 is a bit high.

I would suggest mounting the lamp in a way that the snake can go up the limb to get closer to it. (let the animal chose what it wants)

If you feel that the light is uneven, mount a small spiral Eco light on the other end, it will balance illumination, without significantly heating the other end.

Hope that helps:D

http://www.withamymac.com/news/wp-content/cfl.jpg