PDA

View Full Version : Hey!

NikiGB
10-01-2008, 12:45 PM
Hi

Im new here!! We brought a Garter snake today and he's lush! lol! :) Don't really know that much but did do research before we brought him. What are peoples views on handling? If it were up to me i'd hold him all day lol! Do they like being handled? Is it bad for them?

Also can anyone suggest a name? haha :D I saw someone had called theirs 'sly'-thats cool but don't want to copy hehe!

Anyway looking forward to chatting some more xxx

Stefan-A
10-01-2008, 03:38 PM
Welcome aboard. :)

The views on handling vary a bit. From what I can tell, they don't enjoy being handled and the only benefit you can get from it, is that they can become a bit calmer over time. But apart from that, it's stressful for them and every second they're outside the enclosure, there's a risk that they'll make a run for it, get dropped or get hurt in some other way.

Sid
10-01-2008, 03:46 PM
Hi and welcome to the forum. I personally keep handling to a minimum. In my opinion we do need to handle our collection to a degree to check their health, etc.

Loren
10-01-2008, 03:47 PM
Hi Niki. :)
I think handling is best left to a minimun,but it depends on the snake. If the snake constantly seems nervous, and doesnt seem to get used to it, I would say he's better off in his cage. If it seems to really relax and enjoy being held, then its not as big of deal, but should still be kept to a few minutes here or there.
As the others said, handling is more for our joy than theirs. They usually feel safest in their cage.
Dont handle them soon after a meal either, and for the first week of having him, I'd leave him alone, let him settle in.

bsol
10-01-2008, 03:49 PM
Hello and welcome - This forum is a wealth of information!

jitami
10-01-2008, 04:17 PM
Welcome Niki! Congrats on your new garter :)

btw, Sly really wouldn't mind if you used his name... he can't hear or read, so I think we're safe :D

infernalis
10-01-2008, 04:21 PM
Hello, Welcome, and what they said:D

Snake lover 3-25
10-01-2008, 04:39 PM
hello and welcome:D

thinkmore
10-01-2008, 10:53 PM
Welcome! Snakes do have personalities. There's always an oddball now and then who doesn't follow the usual snake rules. If you happen to have a weird one who'd rather stay out more, I vote for letting it :) Regardless, garters are great to watch in their tanks. They don't just lay around all the time.

reptile3
10-02-2008, 12:30 AM
Hello :) & Welcome!!

Odie
10-02-2008, 01:22 AM
Hi, from Oregon, Niki :)

Snake lover 3-25
10-02-2008, 05:18 PM
Welcome! Snakes do have personalities. There's always an oddball now and then who doesn't follow the usual snake rules. If you happen to have a weird one who'd rather stay out more, I vote for letting it :) Regardless, garters are great to watch in their tanks. They don't just lay around all the time.

lol when ever i walk by my garters cage and she sees me she'll go up to the top of the cage and push it open bending the clips if i dont let her out lol now i do everything with her wrapped around my neck lol she's like a favorite necklace:D :p but the only time she ever tries to get out is when i walk by her cage and don't let her out...... but i normally do:D

Seere121
10-02-2008, 05:38 PM
Hello.
As for handling, I usually leave it up to the snake. My checkered garter is really nervous and twitchy, so I don't take her out much and only for a few minutes but each week she seems calmer and calmer when I take her out. I also have a Common garter from MA that LOVES being handled, I can set my hand into the tank and he will slither right up on it with out having to go after him and will do figure 8s around my fingers till I put him back.

count dewclaw
10-02-2008, 07:30 PM
Welcome, welcome! :D

NikiGB
10-03-2008, 02:52 AM
Hi :D

Thanks for all the messages and welcomes!! Well my boyfriend has decided a name for our snake! He's now called Arnie! He seems a bit jumpy at the min and will only be held for a few minutes so far. He does like to wrap himself around my fingers though and sit peeking out at everything! Think we will take on board what you've all said and keep it to a minimum for now, maybe just a few mins a day and see if he'll calm down? Everytime we go near his tank at night he comes to the side so we can see him haha!

At the minute he is eating a pinky a week, when will we know if he wants more?? Or will that be enough for him? We are also not sure how old he is, is there any sort of measurement or anything to determine age? I have loads of questions so you'll probably see me bombarding you all some more!!

Niki and Arnie! xx

Snaky
10-03-2008, 07:25 AM
Welcome and have fun here :)

gregmonsta
10-03-2008, 07:33 AM
Hello ... :) the more you handle the better as far as I'm concerned ... all of mine get at least 1hour per week (either at once or in 20mins here or there). With a new snake it's best to let it settle for a few days and then to start handling it in small amounts. It helps if you can convince the snake to climb on to your hand rather than just rushing in to grab it. Currently my concinnus pair are that used to it that I just stick my hand in the tank and they immediately slither straight for me and climb on!!!

NikkiSixx
10-03-2008, 08:27 AM
Hi and welcome to the forum. is your real name niki?:D

Snake lover 3-25
10-03-2008, 04:57 PM
i think i handle mine too much lol they are too used to me:D

NikiGB
10-05-2008, 12:03 PM
Hi and welcome to the forum. is your real name niki?:D

Hiya

Yes my name is Niki lol! :D

Garter_Gertie
10-05-2008, 01:39 PM
Welcome! Glad you found us.

ScimitarX
10-05-2008, 01:46 PM
Hello and welcome. you picked a nice name for the lil guy. Sounds like he's settling in ok :)

NikkiSixx
10-05-2008, 01:52 PM
Hiya

Yes my name is Niki lol! :D

that is cool mine too only with two k's.:D

NikiGB
10-05-2008, 03:35 PM
that is cool mine too only with two k's.:D

Haha i know quite a lot of nikki's now!! Someone had good taste!!

xxx

NikiGB
10-05-2008, 03:36 PM
Hello and welcome. you picked a nice name for the lil guy. Sounds like he's settling in ok :)

My boyf picked it lol! After the Terminator!!

xx