PDA

View Full Version : Quick Question/Baby Feeding

jitami
10-01-2008, 08:45 AM
The babies had their first whole pinky on Monday along with a few tilapia strips. Today would normally be feeding day and at least one of them would normally be cruising for food by now, but both are basking contentedly. I'm inclined to just watch for cues that they're hungry and skip feeding today... maybe move to twice a week feedings instead of three times? They're about 10 weeks old and about 12 inches long. What do you guys think?

infernalis
10-01-2008, 08:46 AM
Those Pinks work wonders, My snakes eat less often too.

Wait for them, Garters are great at telling us when they want food.:D

jitami
10-01-2008, 08:52 AM
Wait for them, Garters are great at telling us when they want food.:D

No kidding, huh? :D I'm really suprised that I don't have starving little ones staring at me. :)

infernalis
10-01-2008, 10:45 AM
That little piggy Masubius (The flame from Tina) he always acts hungry!

I could feed him half a salmon, and he would do the food dance 10 minutes later!!:D

Snake lover 3-25
10-01-2008, 10:47 AM
awwww lol i love babies:D so glad i kept one:D my little girl gets worms placed in random places in her cage and goes hunting for them:D she's so cute:D

bsol
10-01-2008, 02:17 PM
[quote=jitami;79775]The babies had their first whole pinky on Monday along with a few tilapia strips.quote]

I'm curious. Do you just buy a filet, cut it down into baby garter strips(1"x 1/2"), freeze and then thaw them?
Another question - Would their diet have any bearing on their color at all?

jitami
10-01-2008, 02:35 PM
I'm curious. Do you just buy a fillet, cut it down into baby garter strips(1"x 1/2"), freeze and then thaw them?

Yes to the fish fillets... just judge the size by the size of the snake... 1" x 1/2" would probably be too big for neonates, but you get the idea. It's a very inexpensive way to feed these guys! If you're feeding soley fillet a calcium and possibly multi vitamin suppliment is a good idea. I don't think anyone has done enough experimentation to be sure, but I don't think that diet has much impact on color. There are examples of the most colorful specimens that eat solely pinkies, solely fish, etc. Most agree that either a rodent diet or a varied diet including fish, rodents, and sometimes worms provide the best diet.

Stefan-A
10-01-2008, 02:38 PM
Not very likely.

bsol
10-01-2008, 02:47 PM
Thanks guys!
I thought about doing a mix - ie froozen pinks, some fish(trout/tilapia/salmon), worms. I could blend/process the mix and freeze them. I think I read somewhere that adding jelatin would allow them to keep shape after I thaw them.

Loren
10-01-2008, 02:58 PM
I have noticed rodents hold appetites over more than many other foods like fish, and especially more than worms. They take longer to digest. Rodents will show the most growth too, in my opinion.

Loren
10-01-2008, 02:59 PM
Hi Brandon.
Some of the folks on here have talked about that jello mix before, they will probably chime in here.

bsol
10-01-2008, 03:02 PM
great! I'm stoked about this forum!

Snake lover 3-25
10-01-2008, 05:01 PM
lol wow 23 posts already??? you're really fitting in here aren't you:D

bsol
10-01-2008, 05:45 PM
I'm already addicted! I sware this site found its way to me... strangly enough I was just telling my wife a few weeks ago how simple I thought I was because of how I love garters and water snakes so much.
Let's see i've had(all wild caught) speckled king snakes, a black racers, a rat snake, a louisiana milk snake(I'm from New Orleans), green snakes, copperheads, ring necks, garters and a variety of water snakes and I keep coming back to the garter.

Snake lover 3-25
10-01-2008, 05:50 PM
lol yup we sure do love em:D

ssssnakeluvr
10-01-2008, 06:10 PM
twice a week feedings are good....I feed mine twice a week, unless they are eating pinkies, then generally I feed once a week, takes a little longer to digest.