PDA

View Full Version : My BLACK NECKS are coming!!!

aSnakeLovinBabe
09-29-2008, 08:50 AM
omg, YAY, th time is finally here!!! My pair of eastern blacknecks should be here tomorrow morning!!! holy cow.. I am so excited... finally I get to have blacknecks...:D:D:D

Pictures will follow tomorrowwww

infernalis
09-29-2008, 09:50 AM
Woo Hoo, I just scored a pair of non eaters:D (both girls)

Talk about coincidence:eek:

Congrats!!!

aSnakeLovinBabe
09-29-2008, 09:51 AM
oh really?! thats awesome... where are you getting yours from?

infernalis
09-29-2008, 09:55 AM
Mojo reptiles, I saw a picture of one someone got on KS garter forum, and contacted her.

I see Scott has some now...

jitami
09-29-2008, 11:26 AM
Congrats guys!!! Blacknecks are simply gorgeous!!!

Wayne that baby on KS was very nice... I'm sure you'll have them both eating upon arrival :rolleyes::cool:

infernalis
09-29-2008, 11:39 AM
Thanks! It just rained, so the phibs are out:D:D

jitami
09-29-2008, 11:41 AM
Well, get off the puter & go get them! I constantly wish that I had property like yours...

infernalis
09-29-2008, 11:43 AM
Complete with the next door neighbor??:D

jitami
09-29-2008, 12:13 PM
Already have the neighbor... may as well have the property too :)

reptile3
09-29-2008, 12:48 PM
Awesome Shannon, we must see pictures!!!

Awesome to you too Wayne on your new snakes!!:)

reptile3
09-29-2008, 12:50 PM
Complete with the next door neighbor??:D

I'll pass!! ha ha they are crazy aren't they?:p

infernalis
09-29-2008, 01:26 PM
OK if you walked in to a room where an IQ test was being given, the person screaming at the round peg for not fitting in the square hole, it would be them.

jitami
09-29-2008, 03:13 PM
Oh, now see, mine is a bit different... "George, there is a problem with this peg. The manufacturer must have screwed up. I can't believe any of these morons giving the test didn't notice." With the obligatory eye rolling, of course.

GartersRock
09-29-2008, 03:16 PM
Gah!! I want some SO bad!

aSnakeLovinBabe
09-29-2008, 04:29 PM
haha, yours are siblings of mine then Wayne!! I am getting them from Joanna too. I can't freaking wait for themmmm!!

ssssnakeluvr
09-29-2008, 05:13 PM
omg, YAY, th time is finally here!!! My pair of eastern blacknecks should be here tomorrow morning!!! holy cow.. I am so excited... finally I get to have blacknecks...:D:D:D

Pictures will follow tomorrowwww
and your hypermel wanderings will be there wednesday....:D

aSnakeLovinBabe
09-29-2008, 05:42 PM
I KNOWWW!!! this is soooo sweet. my babies are coming my babies are coming ::shakes::

jitami
09-30-2008, 03:45 PM
Shannon... Where are they??? Where are you??? And most importantly, WHERE ARE THE PICTURES??? :D

infernalis
09-30-2008, 04:03 PM
Woo hoo, Just found out that there is a third, He looks really bad, and may not make it, But I have to try!

I told Jo that I'd rather try and fail, than just let him slip away without trying.

Wish me luck.

aSnakeLovinBabe
09-30-2008, 07:06 PM
good luck wayne!!!

these are the most beautiful garter snakes I have ever laid eyes on. no lies!!! they GLOW!! and boy are they BIG!!! And fat! They were really stressed out tonight, and so i decided for their health that I would leave them be tonight and take a couple pictures tomorrow, along with the hypermelanistic wanderings from Don that should be here tomorrow! yesssss!

The female took a lil fishy off my hemostat tonight with very little hesitation... she didnt want the other one so I left it in her water bowl... the male wanted nothing to do with his fishies so both of them are in his bowl.

MoJo
09-30-2008, 07:58 PM
Shanon I am glad you like them. They ate last on Thursday night so hopefully your boy will eat overnight.

Wayne I hope you do get them eating. I don't have access to frogs so I think you will do well with them.

I can't wait to see photos of them.

aSnakeLovinBabe
09-30-2008, 08:03 PM
I have a frog I keep as a pet in my snakeroom for emergencies!

and if need by.. I can always enslave my brothers to go catch me a few whilst I am at work!

infernalis
09-30-2008, 08:48 PM
I'm afraid most of the frogs are too big now, but baby salamanders are everywhere!!

Garter_Gertie
10-01-2008, 08:00 AM
YOU LUCKY DOGS!!! I was going to get/wanted some of Mojo's babies, but the timing was bad financially.

YOU LUCKY DOGS!!! I'm happy for you!!!

jitami
10-01-2008, 08:23 AM
Glad they arrived safely Shannon :) Congrats again :)

Good luck Wayne... we have faith in you :)

infernalis
10-02-2008, 10:13 AM
My blacknecks just arrived, Now very optamistic of the male, he seems very lively and alert.

I'm going to let them settle in, and try to offer salamanders to them later.

Stunning little snakes:D

2 girls and a boy! Went from wanting one to having three:eek:

Garter_Gertie
10-02-2008, 10:15 AM
CONGRATULATIONS to both new parents!

infernalis
10-03-2008, 04:32 AM
YES!!!! They ATE!!!!

Salamanders & Blacknose Dace did the trick... They Eat!!:D

http://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//500/BN1.jpg

bsol
10-03-2008, 05:02 AM
wow he/she is beautiful!!!

infernalis
10-03-2008, 05:11 AM
Thanks Brandon, She is stunning. Her brother and sister are too:D

I always get a little excited when a snake that refuses food and has never eaten from birth "gives in" and eats.

Lori P
10-03-2008, 06:11 AM
CONGRATS!!!!!!!! Gorgeous little snake!!!! Next year... :-)

MoJo
10-03-2008, 08:22 AM
Woohoo! Great bulge! :D

Garter_Gertie
10-03-2008, 09:31 AM
Oh! I wish I'd had the money! Dekay, I think that's even pretty'er un'Magma. Yup. You lucky dog.

GartersRock
10-03-2008, 09:40 AM
Dang it Wayne!! You lucky!

snakeman
10-03-2008, 10:49 AM
Blacknecks are awesome.I have had many over the years.I always wind up sticking with the eastern garters though!

Thamnophis
10-03-2008, 11:44 AM
Very beautiful species. Congratulations!!!

aSnakeLovinBabe
10-03-2008, 04:02 PM
haha!!! yay!!! both of mine are eating too.. I have just been leaving fishies in their bowls and when I am not looking they dissapear :p

Snake lover 3-25
10-03-2008, 04:43 PM
it's BEAUTIFUL!!!!!! congrats on getting it to eat:D

infernalis
10-04-2008, 04:02 PM
All 3 have now eaten!!! YES the male has bulge, I repeat the male has bulge:D

I set them up in a ten gallon, and used the lid off Shannon's take out tray for a water bowl, this created a small lake in the tank for swimming.

For substrate I have grass in there, so the salamanders don't dry out, and mist it a little from time to time.

In another day or two, I'll start keeping minnows in the water bowl, and try to wean them away from the amphibians.

Right now, I want to get their strength up and keep the feeding response open.

jitami
10-04-2008, 04:04 PM
Very nice Wayne! Congrats on getting them to eat!!!

MoJo
10-04-2008, 08:39 PM
Wow! I am shocked that he ate or even survived the trip! That is great news.

infernalis
10-05-2008, 02:47 AM
Jo - He surprised me too, The funny thing is he did not eat a complete salamander yet.

The ones I left with him (there were 5) all have missing tails:D

5 salamander tails is a start, it's food. He's already more lively, cruising the tank with the ladies now.

Skittish little fella, I felt bad leaving him in that feeder box overnight, One of the ladies already regurgitated from being spooked, so when they eat something, I leave them in the box for a while to settle before I dare to move them.

Here is the setup, The reason I used the grass is to prevent impaction, and simulate nature. (The salamanders won't get all covered in substrate, and stay alive until the snakes get at them.)

The data that I read stated that this species prefers wetlands and streams for it's natural habitat, so I tried to give them that.

I only wish I had that supply of tiny baby frogs and toads that existed a couple months ago.

Now the next big step is to wean them off amphibians:eek:

Thanks for keeping up on what is going on with them:D I'm so very pleased to get to work with this species. That marking pattern enthralled me from the first time I ever saw one.

http://www.danceswithreptiles.com/garter/bnsu.jpg

http://www.danceswithreptiles.com/garter/1BN1.jpg

Lori P
10-05-2008, 07:25 AM
He's so beautiful... you go Wayne!!! I'm pulling for this guy...

MoJo
10-05-2008, 07:41 AM
I hope the little girl that regurged does ok! Do you know which one it was so that you can give her tummy a break?

I find it very funny that he bit off the tales or do salamanders let go of their tales when they are distressed? If they do then I guess he needs to be a little faster!

Garter_Gertie
10-05-2008, 07:45 AM
Such gorgeous snakes.... I really think they're my favorite of all garters I've seen and come to know. You guys keep up the GREAT work!

aSnakeLovinBabe
10-05-2008, 07:57 AM
Blacknecks are my fav too... only second to the eastern. The eastern will always be my number 1 because they are why I developed a love of snakes in the first place!

Wayne, I am so happy to see that your blacknecks are doing better! lucky for me, I have a stream out back too, so I have that same neverending supply of salamanders for any babies I may have born here that refuse food.

What else I am about to say is really gross, but it does work. A friend at a show told me an easy way to always have the tadpole/frog scent available. Basically, you take a dead tadpole, and you blot off the excess water. Put it in a little drink cap or something similar and allow it to dry out. As long as it totally dries out.. it wil not rot. Whenever he needed to scent for a picky eater, he said he would just put a couple drops of water onto the dried tadpole to revive the scent. I tried this out with a frog that died at my store, and it does work. He used that same old tadpole for 3 years :eek:

My blacknecks are sneaky!!! they at first would not eat in front of me... but both of them ate fishies that were dropped in front of them to flop around yesterday, and I carefully used my hemostat as they were swallowing so that they did not ingest any bedding. They are too freaked out to try separate feeding containers yet, but the male ate TWO!!! yay!!!

They are the most pretty, shiny, glowy garter snakes I have ever seen!

MoJo
10-05-2008, 08:06 AM
Shannon, I am glad that they are doing well for you. I fed them in separate containers in the dark so that might be why they are shy. Some of them clearly were not shy though!

I tried switching mine over to scented pinky parts the other day and so far no go. Check out kingsnake.com, someone there has them eating pinks already!

aSnakeLovinBabe
10-05-2008, 08:19 AM
haha! i am out of pinkies now until lext weekend :p but yea, I don't think I will have too much trouble with that! I will just flop the pinkies around... oh boy haha:o

infernalis
10-05-2008, 08:51 AM
I hope the little girl that regurged does ok! Do you know which one it was so that you can give her tummy a break?

I find it very funny that he bit off the tales or do salamanders let go of their tales when they are distressed? If they do then I guess he needs to be a little faster!

I know the one that regurgitated. I opened up her sandwich box to put her back in the enclosure, when she opened up her mouth, I tried to stop, but it was too late.

And Salamanders do break off tails, when we catch them I am careful to grasp them by the upper body. (My daughter did excellent, since she found most of the little ones.)

Considering he was not all that lively, and seems to have more energy already, I am sure his speed will improve with time.

For now since they are a little skittish, I have all 3 in that grass tank, and several salamanders, the dace minnows keep jumping out of the water bowl, I need some guppies, something that won't jump out of the bowl.

Once I settle on names, at least one is going to be "MoJo" if that's OK????

aSnakeLovinBabe
10-05-2008, 09:39 AM
Wayne, try dropping the dace minnows on the ground in front of the snakes. Mine REALLY like that.

infernalis
10-05-2008, 09:42 AM
Wayne, try dropping the dace minnows on the ground in front of the snakes. Mine REALLY like that.

I have, one female ate it. The other two let it die.

So I tong fed to another snakie. feed again this PM.

Have not disturbed them to count salamanders, rather look for bulge from a safe distance.

MoJo
10-05-2008, 11:17 AM
I am flattered that you would call one MoJo! I think if the male makes it he should be Mojo since you must have added some good mojo with him!

mojo Noun
pl mojos or mojoes US slang
1. a charm or magic spell
2. the art of casting magic spells [from West African]

infernalis
10-06-2008, 05:47 PM
My Mojo must not have been enough, Today the little fella expired.

All at the same time, the girls have become pigs, so I cannot feel too bad.

So here is the one I named "Miss MoJo" or just MoJo for short. She is the best eater, She never turns down the food.

Look how fat she has got already:D

Caught some small Dace from the creek, and some kind of small aquatic newt, and 4 small salamanders to let run loose in the tank.

http://www.danceswithreptiles.com/garter/MoJo.jpg

GartersRock
10-06-2008, 06:09 PM
Oh so gorgeous and chubby!!! :D

infernalis
10-06-2008, 06:13 PM
The next milestone will be them eating pinky mice:D

MoJo
10-06-2008, 06:45 PM
I'm sorry he did not make it but I can't say I am surprised. I am thrilled the other two are doing well for you. They look great! I am flattered she is Miss MoJo!

GartersRock
10-06-2008, 06:47 PM
Oh I didn't notice you said one didn't make it. So sorry Wayne. :(

aSnakeLovinBabe
10-06-2008, 06:48 PM
aweee wayne, I'm sorry to hear about the male not making it... you gave him a good shot though!

my pair graduated from live-floppy-fish-kindergarten today... they both had a salmon chunk and a dead baby hamster today!!!:rolleyes: and i DIDNT have to wiggle them!!!

(i work at a pet store and if a mom hamster destroys her litter, I freeze them and take them)

infernalis
10-06-2008, 07:31 PM
I'm sorry he did not make it but I can't say I am surprised. I am thrilled the other two are doing well for you. They look great! I am flattered she is Miss MoJo!

No need for apologies, I knew what I was taking on, and am grateful for the opportunity to have tried.

He did eat those tails, I think it was just not enough.

We have a little grave site for baby snakes, he is resting peacefully.

The Females, Salamanders broke the hunger strike, and now they are also taking live fish.

jitami
10-06-2008, 07:42 PM
Sorry the little guy didn't make it... it's so hard when you try everything and there's just nothing you can do :(

Lori P
10-07-2008, 05:49 AM
Man, I really wanted him to make it. Sorry Wayne and Joanna. But, look at that little female go!!!! What a cutie!!!

infernalis
10-07-2008, 05:53 AM
(i work at a pet store and if a mom hamster destroys her litter, I freeze them and take them)

Nah, we all thought you were a hamster murdering meanie:rolleyes:

MoJo
10-07-2008, 09:18 PM
Hey Shannon where are photos of those babies?

aSnakeLovinBabe
10-07-2008, 09:19 PM
they are.... coming right now actually!!! they are being uploaded to photobucket! I am going to open a new thread that will be the host of all my garters from now on... but I will post thier pics here too!

aSnakeLovinBabe
10-07-2008, 10:08 PM
http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll86/aSnakeLovinBabe/Snakes/Garters/38673056.jpg

http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll86/aSnakeLovinBabe/Snakes/Garters/38673060.jpg

http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll86/aSnakeLovinBabe/Snakes/Garters/38673068.jpg

prattypus
10-07-2008, 10:11 PM
See it's colorations like this that force me to sit in a tattooist chair- I suffer from hue envy.

drache
10-08-2008, 03:45 AM
they're so beautiful
congrats to both of you
duly jealous here

MoJo
10-08-2008, 07:22 AM
Shannon they look wonderful! My girl has just taken a pinky with barely any scenting! She looks like she might bust!

And for anyone who is jealous I still have a few girls left....

dashnu
10-08-2008, 12:14 PM
See it's colorations like this that force me to sit in a tattooist chair- I suffer from hue envy.

hahaha, yea no kidding!

ughhhhh, I want some blacknecks now really really bad.

drache
10-08-2008, 04:55 PM
oh I do so want . . .
need to stretch my pennies

ssssnakeluvr
10-08-2008, 06:20 PM
Shannon they look wonderful! My girl has just taken a pinky with barely any scenting! She looks like she might bust!

how much???? interested in any trades????

infernalis
10-12-2008, 07:47 AM
Miss Mojo had me kinda worried for a minute, My little girl lost interest in food... No biggie, she's still busting at the seams with good groceries.

So last night when I looked in on her I see cloudy blue eyes:D Yes !!!! She's gonna shed. (No wonder she lost interest in food)

Hopefully this will be a perfect time to switch prey. (MoJo has had fish and salamander)

She's still a little skittish, So I have not bothered her with the camera.....

aSnakeLovinBabe
10-12-2008, 08:38 AM
yay!!! both of my blacknecks are eating whole pinkies!!! woo hoo!!! and so are my flames, and my valley's!!!

reptile3
10-12-2008, 12:34 PM
Your snakes look great... they are cute. I am sorry the fella didn't make it.

Shannon, your awesome..

infernalis
10-15-2008, 07:11 PM
Mojo has Shed her skin, found it yesterday.

She is still stubborn, ate a large Salamander, ignored the fish.....

At least it's food:D She's all shiny and FAT!

Garter_Gertie
10-15-2008, 07:13 PM
I'll bet she's a doll, Dekay. I can't wait until you're able to 'bother' her and get some pictures of her. I like her name!

infernalis
10-15-2008, 07:19 PM
Should be able to photo tomorrow.

With her needing to catch up on nutrition, I really don't want her to barf it back up.

So I issued a restraining order to myself to stay away from her tank.

Garter_Gertie
10-15-2008, 07:21 PM
You're a great dad, Dekay. Looking forward to tomorrow then. Do you just have Mojo now, or did you get three?

MoJo
10-15-2008, 08:15 PM
I'm glad she ate. I'd let her eat a few meals before trying to get her to try a new food. I might also suggest just going straight to pinky parts. Cut a frozen pinky in half or quarters (I do it lengthwise) and scent it with the salamander.

Keep up the great work.

infernalis
10-16-2008, 11:30 AM
I peeked just in time to see the last of the salamander vanish into her mouth.

She is very reclusive and shy, hides under her moss a lot.

I used some cage carpet, and then a wad of damp moss to keep the salamander from drying out.

She sure is shiny after that shed....

infernalis
10-18-2008, 11:25 AM
Here is MoJo with shiny new skin:D

http://www.danceswithreptiles.com/garter/mojito.jpg

Garter_Gertie
10-18-2008, 11:27 AM
So sweet! Nice girl with unsual patterning...

Lori P
10-18-2008, 11:29 AM
Oooooooh (fainting dead away)!!!!!!!!! Next year they are FIRST on my list!!! Or at least tied for first.... lol How many firsts can you have??!!!

GartersRock
10-18-2008, 11:51 AM
About... 50. LOL!

Lori P
10-18-2008, 12:25 PM
Oh phew!!! Then I'm good. :-)

MoJo
10-18-2008, 12:33 PM
Wayne she looks lovely!

jitami
10-19-2008, 04:06 PM
Gorgeous Wayne & Joanna!

infernalis
10-19-2008, 05:37 PM
YES!!! today MoJo took minnows!!

ate them right out of the water bowl......

Now to get rid of the salamanders altogether:D

aSnakeLovinBabe
10-19-2008, 07:01 PM
my female stopped eating.... :(:(:(

infernalis
10-19-2008, 08:05 PM
How long ago Shannon??

Knowing you she probably has a good reserve going...

Fingers crossed.

dashnu
10-20-2008, 07:01 AM
I got two from mojo. Two girls. The smaller one took unsented pinky parts yesterday. The bigger of the two has not eaten yet.

infernalis
10-20-2008, 08:03 AM
Hey - Congrats Brett!!!! Awesome score:D

http://www.danceswithreptiles.com/1fun/smiley-clapping.gif

dashnu
10-20-2008, 08:50 AM
They kick butt;

Here are my babes both just shed:

http://byfiles.storage.live.com/y1pDtDNUcjhbQ6WGqbwjAh96CttrZox_U1aUFFk9TDFkThyEWH SvvpaqegkPwOtykI8

http://byfiles.storage.live.com/y1p5M1EckHGezXPGP25fhv2zPRJPJ20A4CvcT0Wm3KBy8XOfCy w-G9zhE9KkUUTtDC0

jitami
10-20-2008, 09:43 AM
Congrats Brett! These babies are just gorgeous!!!

MoJo
10-20-2008, 11:42 AM
AACK! What is it with these babies not eating! Brett try putting live fish in a clear glass bowl. I am hoping that will get her eating. I also kept all my babies separately in small containers so it might be she is stressed out if she is in a larger container with her sister. She may not have wanted to eat because she was in shed too.

Please keep me up to date on how they are doing.

infernalis
10-20-2008, 12:03 PM
Ah I wish I knew that.

MoJo still spends almost all day hiding under the moss, but her food items keep vanishing, and she is staying plump, so for now that's what matters most.

dashnu
10-20-2008, 05:48 PM
AACK! What is it with these babies not eating! Brett try putting live fish in a clear glass bowl. I am hoping that will get her eating. I also kept all my babies separately in small containers so it might be she is stressed out if she is in a larger container with her sister. She may not have wanted to eat because she was in shed too.

Please keep me up to date on how they are doing.

No worries yet. I am going to try pinkies for a while. The bigger of the two still has a ways to go before I start to worry.

I feel I will be able to get her to eat.

I love them so much. Thanks !

ps: I will run down to the bait shop if need be in a week or so.

aSnakeLovinBabe
10-20-2008, 06:13 PM
she ate today!!! it was weird... I came home... put two fishies in the male's water bowl... the female has had the same 2 in her cage since thursday. I went back in an hour later... and both snakes in their own separate cages were sitting right beside their bowls with chubby wiggling bellies :D:D:D

bsol
10-20-2008, 06:17 PM
very nice yall!!!

MoJo
10-20-2008, 07:53 PM
No worries yet. I am going to try pinkies for a while. The bigger of the two still has a ways to go before I start to worry.

I feel I will be able to get her to eat.

I love them so much. Thanks !

ps: I will run down to the bait shop if need be in a week or so.

OK. Just please keep me up to date. I love hearing about "my babies" and feel sad when they are not behaving perfectly!

MoJo
10-20-2008, 07:54 PM
she ate today!!! it was weird... I came home... put two fishies in the male's water bowl... the female has had the same 2 in her cage since thursday. I went back in an hour later... and both snakes in their own separate cages were sitting right beside their bowls with chubby wiggling bellies :D:D:D

So maybe she needs to be in with the male so he stimulates her appetite! (They're still too young for anything else!)

infernalis
10-20-2008, 08:05 PM
I caught MoJo staring at her water dish today:D

I dropped in a minnow and left, checked in half an hour, GONE

No salamanders offered at all for a few days now.

infernalis
10-28-2008, 12:58 PM
Another shed in only 14 days!

She must be growing FAST, making up for lost time.

I was so surprised when I saw another skin in there today.

She is a tad less shy, starting to get active, like a garter should be!

Snake lover 3-25
10-28-2008, 04:09 PM
isn't that crazy!!!!????? my baby shed 10 days after the first time she shed with me!!!!!!:eek:

infernalis
10-31-2008, 08:18 AM
MoJo is gonna be HUGE, I held her for a few moments last night, and I really dig the feel of her skin.

The scales have a very different texture than my other garters, even her sheds appear to be smoother.

She does spend a lot of time staring at her water dish:D

The minnows don't last long in there anymore, and I like that a lot.

Snake lover 3-25
10-31-2008, 11:36 AM
and I really dig the feel of her skin.

ROFL :p

GartersRock
10-31-2008, 11:54 AM
How many grams is she now?

infernalis
11-09-2008, 07:37 AM
Well I need to get a good scale, really I do.. no idea how many grams she is now.

She is at least double in size from when she arrived.

http://www.danceswithreptiles.com/1/mojo.jpg

http://www.danceswithreptiles.com/1/Mojotank.jpg

And here she is "swirling" around in the water bowl looking for minnows..

http://www.danceswithreptiles.com/1/Mojofishin.jpg

Lori P
11-09-2008, 08:02 AM
Oh, wow, she is gorgeous... she just keeps getting better!!! Man, those blacknecks... my favorite!!!

Garter_Gertie
11-09-2008, 10:49 AM
Gods, but I love those Black Necks. I think they're prettier than the Pugets. Dekay, you damn lucky dog. I'm so envious. I LOVE HER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

infernalis
11-14-2008, 10:26 PM
Mojo just shed again:D

This girl has more than doubled in size since she arrived.

She is the newest snake in the collection, and already bigger than many that were born months ahead of her.

Darn web site, I hate those red X boxes.

infernalis
12-03-2008, 08:18 PM
MoJo ate a pinky!!!!! Her first one since she arrived:cool:

My Blackneck ate a rodent:D

http://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//500/1amojo.jpg

http://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//500/2blackneck.jpg

ssssnakeluvr
12-03-2008, 09:38 PM
sweeet looking snake!!!!!!!! man I want some blacknecks!!!!! :cool:

adamanteus
12-04-2008, 02:04 AM
Good news that she took a pinky, Wayne!

guidofatherof5
12-04-2008, 06:00 AM
Great looking Blacknecks.

Lori P
12-04-2008, 07:47 AM
Congrats Wayne! Man, they are so stunning. Blacknecks, my favorite!!!!

jitami
12-04-2008, 10:25 AM
Great job Wayne! Go Mojo :D

infernalis
12-04-2008, 11:23 AM
She only wasted a handful before she decided to eat one:)

aSnakeLovinBabe
12-04-2008, 07:23 PM
my blacknecks are so easy... all I have to do is wait until theyre hungry and start flopping a fishy smellling pinky around in front of them! good to hear wayne!

infernalis
12-04-2008, 07:36 PM
Thanks Shannon, if only the other 2 would have worked out.;)

aSnakeLovinBabe
12-05-2008, 11:51 PM
I know, that would have been GREAT! but hey, at least they had the best possible chance at life!

dashnu
12-08-2008, 03:07 PM
Here ya go Wayne. This girls is a great eater. The other still is not :mad:

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_PH6P7FixJCM/ST2Lg3Q3Y0I/AAAAAAAAAO0/0f_Yr2x-v9w/s800/Eastern%20Blacknecks.jpg

infernalis
12-08-2008, 03:09 PM
Brett - I like the collage great way to display.:cool:

I still have to sneak the pinky into the water bowl with a live fish.

Last time she grabbed the pinky first:D

I know, that would have been GREAT! but hey, at least they had the best possible chance at life!

Shannon, That has got to be one of the nicest things anyone has ever said to me. Your a real sweetie.

dashnu
12-09-2008, 09:40 AM
The NON-EATER is now a EATER!! Currently chowing down unsented pinky pieces!!!

both of my girls are now officially kicking ***! :D:D

I offered them nothing other then unsented pinks since the day I got them. I was trying a different approach and it seemed to pay off. I did force feed once however about three weeks ago.

infernalis
12-09-2008, 12:07 PM
Congrats Brett, That's great news.

Stefan-A
12-09-2008, 12:15 PM
Good news indeed. :)

olive oil
12-09-2008, 01:05 PM
Great news! I do like your collage also.

infernalis
12-13-2008, 09:26 PM
I just cheated!

Mojo shed this afternoon, so I saw her staring at the water bowl.

Dropped in a pinky, 2 strips of tilapia and a minnow.

Checked on her a little later, the pinky and tilapia were gone, so I took out her water bowl and put the minnow back in the fish tank for another feeding.

Thanks little minnow!:D Keep up the good work and live long:cool:

infernalis
01-03-2009, 11:25 PM
Tonight for the first time (first time I offered) Mojo ate 2 consecutive pinks.:D

She's gonna be a big girl!

misskris
01-03-2009, 11:27 PM
Ohhh Pretty.. I understand now why everyone has soo many LOL

brain
01-04-2009, 12:00 PM
I think the species has a great looking green noggin :rolleyes:

infernalis
01-04-2009, 01:35 PM
Michael, She is one of my favourites, and I cannot even touch her!

She is skittish and shy, but at the same time one of the most lovely "normal" garter snakes in my collection.

The first time I ever saw a picture of one, I was taken in by it.

http://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//500/medium/mojobig.jpg

brain
01-05-2009, 02:44 PM
Yes I think this will be one of my first garter to add to my collection. :cool:
Did you get her from Scott F.?

infernalis
01-05-2009, 07:34 PM
No Michael, Joanna Duby here is how to reach her.

http://www.thamnophis.com/forum/members/mojo.html

www.mojoherps.com (http://www.mojoherps.com)

That's why I named her (my snake) Mojo.

brain
01-10-2009, 07:13 PM
TY for the link. i'll check in with her:cool:

dashnu
01-27-2009, 12:56 PM
One of my girls today ate a F/T FUZZY :D She is going to be HUGE!! It was really awesome to watch, now she is so fat she cant climb the trees to her basking spot :eek:

dashnu
01-27-2009, 01:46 PM
See;

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_PH6P7FixJCM/SX9jcfjZlsI/AAAAAAAAAhs/xhneqHmE7ls/s640/DSC01555.JPG

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_PH6P7FixJCM/SX9jeLhXCxI/AAAAAAAAAh0/fNngy6TBzV4/s640/DSC01557.JPG

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_PH6P7FixJCM/SX9jgMAjHVI/AAAAAAAAAh8/WU0tY-MKRbY/s640/DSC01558.JPG

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_PH6P7FixJCM/SX9jhhRgOCI/AAAAAAAAAiE/4L2Bu07TZ-I/s640/DSC01559.JPG

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_PH6P7FixJCM/SX9jllaDLMI/AAAAAAAAAiU/L_JzeNOD3r8/s640/DSC01565.JPG

Nothing to really gauge it by but she is a bit thicker then the average thumb.

crzy_kevo
01-27-2009, 01:48 PM
wow how old is she

dashnu
01-27-2009, 01:50 PM
She is a well feed "08 baby" old :p

infernalis
01-27-2009, 02:08 PM
Ours are related, correct?

http://www.dekayi.info/PG1/images/1amojo.jpg

dashnu
01-27-2009, 02:12 PM
Yup, my other female is "normal" sized for her age. This piticular one has the best feeding responses I have ever seen in a garter.

....and I personally take the "feed em if they will eat approach"

drache
01-27-2009, 02:51 PM
it's been a while since I've looked at this thread
those guys are beautiful
and congrats on the pinky success

dashnu
01-27-2009, 03:00 PM
it's been a while since I've looked at this thread
those guys are beautiful
and congrats on the pinky success

Correction; They have been taking pinkys since day one, recently the bigger of the two would eat two in one feeding so today I tried a fuzzy, and down the hatch it went :D

drache
01-27-2009, 03:04 PM
sorry - should have been more specific
Wayne's was the one that took pinky for the first time a few pages back
I'm just late
but I'm non-the-less impressed that yours took them from the start

infernalis
01-27-2009, 04:16 PM
Thanks Rhea, I got a fussy eater (On purpose) she still requires I put the pinky in the water bowl with a couple guppies.

She is one very pretty Garter snake...

aSnakeLovinBabe
01-27-2009, 07:01 PM
My pair is now at the point where they FREAK OUT when I open the tank lid and they know their food is coming, mine are growing very well, but I am feeding a more fish diet. They are getting little bits almost every day!

jitami
01-27-2009, 07:53 PM
What a chubby gorgeous baby, Brett!

Jack Neary
01-27-2009, 07:58 PM
My pair is now at the point where they FREAK OUT when I open the tank lid and they know their food is coming, mine are growing very well, but I am feeding a more fish diet. They are getting little bits almost every day!

Shannon,
What type of fish do you like to feed your Garter's? I have been buying Minnows localy at a bait store and its seems like there are no bad effects in using the minnows with my small baby garters and to help get get my other problem feeders get more aclamated in taking pinkies when the pinkies are placed in a small water bowl with a few minnows.

I will never buy any fmore fish at Petco, Petsmart, etc.. as I believe they were responsible in the deaths of 2 of my baby Similis and 1 baby Puget...
Regards,
Jack

aSnakeLovinBabe
01-27-2009, 10:36 PM
I like to use trout the best. thats what they like best, and it's not slimy and oily like salmon. But i do also use salmon, and tilapia when niether of those are around!

brain
01-31-2009, 11:36 AM
I like to use trout the best.

I didn’t know you could get a game fish from the bait store I need to look into this. :cool:

infernalis
01-31-2009, 12:12 PM
She means Trout fillet from the grocery store.

brain
01-31-2009, 12:28 PM
Oh ok :o

That where is was going to go for a supply.