PDA

View Full Version : Possible problem with baby snake...any ideas?

Hornets23
09-29-2008, 12:10 AM
I have a very young garter snake that has this strange section about 3/4 down his body. Its this little area of kind of pinched looking skin. Its kind of hard to describe. The first thought I had was that he could be dehydrated but he has two water sources which i have specifically shown him even though i know good and well he can find them alone. He eats flawlessly and I feed him usually every third day. He has been eating tilapia and worms and the occasional pinky leg. I dont know how concerned I should be with his problem or if there is anything I can do about it. He seems to move fine and he is growing. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Stefan-A
09-29-2008, 02:11 AM
Could be some form of minor deformity.

aSnakeLovinBabe
09-29-2008, 03:47 AM
One of my baby easterns from this year was born with something that *might* resemble what you are talking about. He eats, grows, sheds, does all the normal baby snake stuff, but he continues to have this little tiny bump on the back of his neck, which causes part of his skin to be folded up all the time on his neck. I have tried to poke around at it and it actually seems to be just a part of him, he was born with it so I am not really sure what it could be. Without a picture.. I cannot possibly relate my incident to yours, just the ppinched skin thing sounds similar.

I expect that mine continues to do well, but I will not be 100% surprised if one day he has dropped dead.

infernalis
09-29-2008, 09:53 AM
The one way I have always looked as these things, is that if it lives 2 years in captivity, it's probably 2 years longer than in the wild.

Hornets23
09-29-2008, 02:22 PM
Thats exactly what I was thinking about mine shannon. He acts ok but I wont be surprised if he doesnt make it. Of course it might not be a problem at all. The thing is...I dont recall it being there when I first got him. It is possible that i didnt notice it. I guess we will have to just wait and see.

Brunok9
11-09-2008, 10:15 PM
My easten garter snakes have had the exact same probolem.
Two of them died unexpectly and the other one still lives, though it seems to get worse.
His skin seems 'pinched' in..I wasn't sure if he was trying to shed or not. He still asks like a normal snake, eating, drinking, moving, etc.., but today he seemed weaker..just a few hours ago. He is a few months old. I don't want my snake to die and I do not want to sit back and watch..so if you have any advice, let me know.
I have raised and am not willing to let them die.
Thanks for all help.

Also, this has just appeared. I am possitive it wasn't there before. There is no lump, just his skin. Things that changed: new light, and I fed them feeder fish. This had feeder fish before, but I am not sure about this batch.

Snake lover 3-25
11-10-2008, 12:41 PM
um i think it may be his diet.... either that or maybe he is dehydrated??? maybe his environment is to dry??? idk.... but that really doesn't sound good..... hope he gets well soon..... sry no one got to this sooner..... we had a huge rush of posts yesterday and i think everyone is a little behind........

Hornets23
11-10-2008, 07:55 PM
My easten garter snakes have had the exact same probolem.
Two of them died unexpectly and the other one still lives, though it seems to get worse.
His skin seems 'pinched' in..I wasn't sure if he was trying to shed or not. He still asks like a normal snake, eating, drinking, moving, etc.., but today he seemed weaker..just a few hours ago. He is a few months old. I don't want my snake to die and I do not want to sit back and watch..so if you have any advice, let me know.
I have raised and am not willing to let them die.
Thanks for all help.

Also, this has just appeared. I am possitive it wasn't there before. There is no lump, just his skin. Things that changed: new light, and I fed them feeder fish. This had feeder fish before, but I am not sure about this batch.

Well...the bad news is that my little guy didnt make it. I hope yours has a better fate but I couldnt pinpoint any cause for his problem. He acted pretty normal up until he died. He did seem possibly a little slower than what i would have expected from a baby garter but i had never had one so young before so i'm not sure how abnormal that is. My snake was a lot younger than yours are. Unfortunately I dont have any advice that would help you. Sorry about that...but good luck.

anji1971
11-10-2008, 08:01 PM
Sorry about your loss, Christa.:(:(:(
One of Chili's babies that I adopted out is not doing well either right now. She has a few lumps that have popped up along her spine, and they seem to be hindering her motion, and her ability to open her mouth to eat. The young man who has her has taken excellent care of her and her sister, but I'm afraid it doesn't look good.
This stuff is always so heartbreaking...........

Snake lover 3-25
11-10-2008, 08:01 PM
so sorry for your loss:(

guidofatherof5
11-10-2008, 08:24 PM
Sorry to here about your loss, Christa.

Hornets23
11-10-2008, 10:23 PM
Yeah...it is dissapointing but i figure that some just dont make it.

reptile3
11-10-2008, 10:46 PM
Well...the bad news is that my little guy didnt make it. I hope yours has a better fate but I couldnt pinpoint any cause for his problem. He acted pretty normal up until he died. He did seem possibly a little slower than what i would have expected from a baby garter but i had never had one so young before so i'm not sure how abnormal that is. My snake was a lot younger than yours are. Unfortunately I dont have any advice that would help you. Sorry about that...but good luck.

I am sorry Christa about your loss.

Garter_Gertie
11-11-2008, 06:50 AM
Christa, I'm so sorry about your little one. A big hug to you.

jitami
11-11-2008, 04:10 PM
So sorry Christa :(

Stefan-A
11-11-2008, 04:13 PM
Sorry about your loss.

infernalis
11-11-2008, 04:17 PM
Sorry Christa..

drache
11-11-2008, 05:05 PM
sorry about your loss, Christa