PDA

View Full Version : Beach chips and Smelt

lestat
09-18-2008, 03:33 PM
I have been keeping my collection on beach chips and feeding my 4 Young Floridar blues and Red spoted on smelt. When i got the above i was told not to keep them on Pine chips as it is bad for them. Just reasantly my Red spotted stoped eating and has now started spasoming. At first i thought it might be the beach chips so i put it into a small hagen tank on it's own and put it and all my other small ones on paper towels but now i think it must be the smelt as it is sea fish and only found this out at the week end when bying more. What can i do to save the little one.
What substrate can i use as i researched about substrates before bying snakes and thought Beach chips were ok.
Could it be small particals getting into there skin as other litle snakes on it stoped eating too.

Stefan-A
09-18-2008, 03:44 PM
Both smelt and beech should be safe for garters. I don't think they're the cause.

Zephyr
09-19-2008, 06:32 PM
I'm not sure if smelt is safe, but the symptoms could be thiaminase poisoning or impaction.
I thought smelt were freshwater fish. o.o

Stefan-A
09-19-2008, 08:14 PM
I thought smelt were freshwater fish. o.o
The European smelt isn't.

Zephyr
09-20-2008, 01:11 PM
Sorray. XD
I've fed my snakes freshwater smelt with no problems...

lestat
09-20-2008, 04:06 PM
Sadley the Red Spoted passed away on Friday. It was my star as it's Couloring was lovely. When i saw it spasmodising i thought at once it was Them poisining as i saw it on Utube. I will try to get my little Florida's on something else as soon as possible.

zooplan
09-21-2008, 02:19 AM
You should try to ad Thiamin to each food for a while.