PDA

View Full Version : Outdorr enclosure question

EdgyExoticReptiles
09-17-2008, 05:01 PM
Hey everyone havent been on much (been so busy with high school). So i was wondering if i built some outdoor pens with proper drain edge and shelter could i leave my garters out there year round? i mean it would be easier for brumation and they'd probably be more likely to breed because its natural. Also i have a lot of predators around where i live, do you think they would go through the trouble of breaking through mesh wire to get to the snakes?
thanks,
Reed

Zephyr
09-17-2008, 05:25 PM
lol
High school.
Try juggling e-webz, 3000+ critters, AND AP Chem/Lit. :P
I don't think it would be a problem; it would be more natural, but unless the snakes REALLY know you I've noticed in a wild setting they tend to revert to their wild instincts. You might have snakes who were great feeders stop eating for months at a time for no apparent reason.

infernalis
09-17-2008, 05:39 PM
Not to mention having no control over the weather:eek:

An extreme winter could wipe out your whole collection, it happens in the wild...

jitami
09-17-2008, 05:56 PM
I'm not sure where in the Bay Area Reed is, but an extreme winter would be a very rare thing :)

EdgyExoticReptiles
09-17-2008, 06:22 PM
lol im in san jose area

I'm not sure where in the Bay Area Reed is, but an extreme winter would be a very rare thing :)

infernalis
09-18-2008, 05:35 AM
Oops my bad, Extreme winters would be rare....

Here in New York state extreme winters are common....

Snow accumulation is rare here anymore, don't quite understand why, used to have tons of snow, now it just gets cold

zooplan
09-19-2008, 11:09 AM
Hey Reed,
IŽll think the set up of my outdoor pen should work for your area as well ;-)

Snake lover 3-25
09-19-2008, 11:36 AM
Oops my bad, Extreme winters would be rare....

Here in New York state extreme winters are common....

Snow accumulation is rare here anymore, don't quite understand why, used to have tons of snow, now it just gets cold

YEAH!!!!! i hate winter now!!! and to make things worse our superintendent(sp?) is from alaska!!!! we havn't gotten a snow day in 3 yeard and the bus driver made my lil bro who has asthma walk a mile home up hill with windchill of -20 degrees!!!:eek: what a jerk!!!! every single other school will be shut down but ours always stays open!!!!!:(:mad::mad:

Loren
09-19-2008, 08:00 PM
It seems like you would live in an ideal place for an outdoor garter pen, Reed, as long as you have a good location in your yard, where they could get plenty of both sun and shade. One thing to remember though, you might not get to see them nearly as much as you do now, as they might spend alot more time in hiding(and they wont be in your house) especially on cooler days.

Stefan-A
09-19-2008, 08:21 PM
It's the same over here, we didn't really get any snow in this part of the country last winter. The climate has definitely changed, or is at least fluctuating.

infernalis
09-20-2008, 08:05 AM
back in the 1980's it was common to have to climb out a widow to shovel the snow away from the door:eek:

I remember snow storms that crushed trees and mashed down forests, not anymore...

We did have a devastating ice storm a few years back, not quite the same.