PDA

View Full Version : tank security

drache
09-15-2008, 04:56 AM
here's something, I've been gnawing on in my head:
how to make a standard glass tank with screen top secure from unauthorized access
yeah - this time it's not about keeping the snakes in - it's about keeping little humans out
I would like to make it possible for my daughter's science teacher to have a reptile in his class room again, but the previous two have not fared well
no need to go into detail, but the security issue needs to be resolved, before an animal can move in
and it needs to happen on an NYC public school budget (budget???)

infernalis
09-15-2008, 05:02 AM
Build an inexpensive wooden frame that wraps up over the top, then place padlocks on the frame.

Another option is to build a wooden box with a safety glass front, again with a lock on top.

The whole project should be less than 50 bucks.

Stefan-A
09-15-2008, 05:44 AM
Frankly, I'd make one from scratch. It would give you free hands to solve the security problems.

Of course you should be able to lock it, but a polycarbonate front would also make it damn near unbreakable.

Loren
09-15-2008, 12:41 PM
And then dont forget to weld it to the wall of the classroom or they will just take the whole cage. :D

Stefan-A
09-15-2008, 12:43 PM
And then dont forget to weld it to the wall of the classroom or they will just take the whole cage. :D
They'll take the wall as well..

JSI
09-15-2008, 12:45 PM
I have a similar problem, well sort of with keeping a very smart and very good at opening things cat.

I use plastic cages from Vision with the sliding glass cabinet locks on the front.

Jeremy

Roosterboy
09-15-2008, 02:34 PM
Just remember the three D's, duct tape, duct tape, duct tape. You cold also attach a minor latch-doorlock

infernalis
09-15-2008, 02:41 PM
A large (like the bank drive thru) camera trained on the tank would prevent a lot of problems.

Then I'd wrap barbed wire loops around the top, install motion sensors and have 2 centurions stand over it all day.:D

Stefan-A
09-15-2008, 02:50 PM
Why not put the tank in a locked room, point a video camera at it and just have a screen in the class room? :D

drache
09-15-2008, 03:18 PM
great suggestions, y'all
duct tape has been under consideration, as well as cinder blocks
my current favourite is cementing/gluing a kind of hinge on the back and a latch on the front
these are not particularly evil or destructive kids - for the most part, they're pretty vanilla, with the predictable percentage of morons in training
the thing with kids too though is that they don't think ahead
the concept of being careful is really completely lost on kids because most of them just haven't been around long enough to develop catastrophic imagination
I mean - not to be morose, but in order to be careful, you have to think of everything that can go wrong - stuff you wouldn't know about
Mikhaila's friend Juliet - the one who's my fantastic helper - came home the other day to find a new 4'x18" glass tank sitting on their living room floor, waiting to be put on the shelf, and it just looked like the perfect size for her, so of course she climbed into it, and of course the bottom glass panel broke
when her mother asked her what she had been thinking, she admitted that she hadn't been thinking at all . . .
there also is that sense of curiosity and experimentation . . .
anyway
what works best to glue stuff to glass?

infernalis
09-15-2008, 03:21 PM
Rhea, A plywood floor would be ideal if the tank is for a reptile.

A cheap solution, and home depot sells 48 inch pre cut pieces:D

drache
09-15-2008, 04:15 PM
Rhea, A plywood floor would be ideal if the tank is for a reptile.
thanks
not sure what they did, but the tank is usable
the story was more to illustrate the lack of malice involved in the average act of destruction - a little lack of (fore)thought is all it takes

infernalis
09-16-2008, 04:26 AM
thanks
not sure what they did, but the tank is usable
the story was more to illustrate the lack of malice involved in the average act of destruction - a little lack of (fore)thought is all it takes

We have 4 kids, oh how well I know about this one......

My son sat a hide rock right on top of his baby snake and killed it, he was not trying to harm his pet, it just happened.

Stefan-A
09-16-2008, 07:12 AM
We have 4 kids, oh how well I know about this one......
I was a kid myself, once. ;)

infernalis
09-16-2008, 08:36 AM
I was a kid myself, once. ;)

Were you a handful Stefan?:D

drache
09-16-2008, 09:43 AM
he started out as a handful and grew to be several . . .

Stefan-A
09-16-2008, 10:33 AM
Were you a handful Stefan?:D
Not according to my parents. :D Quite the opposite.

KITKAT
09-18-2008, 08:35 PM
Not according to my parents. :D Quite the opposite.

HA HA... those are the worst ones! The ones whose parents say they are angels...:D

(Remember what I do for a living before interpreting that comment.:rolleyes:)

Stefan-A
09-18-2008, 10:38 PM
Yeah, but looking back, I think I might have really been one. :D

KITKAT
09-19-2008, 07:17 PM
Yeah, but looking back, I think I might have really been one. :D

I'm sure you were!:rolleyes:

Zephyr
09-19-2008, 07:56 PM
AHEM.
On the subject of gluing stuffs to glass, (as opposed to Stefan's possibly deranged childhood) aquarium sealant, which is primarily silicon, works well and can be found in most pet stores. :)

drache
09-20-2008, 05:29 AM
thanks, Kyle
that's where my thinking was headed
now I'm just mulling over precisely what kind of hardware I'm going to glue to the tank