PDA

View Full Version : Signs of Breeding?

BeardedIggy
09-14-2008, 06:47 PM
well i have 3 garter snakes one looks like a juvenile one looks like an adolecent(Ado) and the other a full grown adult the Ado and adult are always together in fact the ado when with the adult lies all over the adult and then starts jiggling especially the back end of the Ado snake are they trying to breed? or whats going on it was a family of snakes when i got them or so it seemed i will be posting a video on youtube shortly it will be called Sings of Breeding? i will also link it on this topic once it is up.

please respond ASAP thanks

BeardedIggy

BeardedIggy
09-15-2008, 12:05 AM
my snakes are mating :S my sister caught them in the act of mating http://www.beardeddragon.org/bjive/images/smilies/icon_surprised.gif what a nast thing to walk into haha what should i do?

EdgyExoticReptiles
09-15-2008, 12:06 AM
try not to bother them

my snakes are mating :S my sister caught them in the act of mating http://www.beardeddragon.org/bjive/images/smilies/icon_surprised.gif what a nast thing to walk into haha what should i do?

drache
09-15-2008, 03:28 AM
yeah - leave them alone
and it's not nasty unless you're victorian and in that case - get the smelling salts

BeardedIggy
09-15-2008, 08:53 AM
ugh but im not so sure i want babies yet :P i jst barely got them and all i got for extra cages right now are a ten gallon tank hw do i tell if my female is gravid and what do i need to do if she does give birth?

jitami
09-15-2008, 09:04 AM
I responded on your other thread, but I would release the mating two where you found them. Let them "do their thing" in the wild, create more babies for next year, etc. Just keep the third for a pet and if you are ready for another next year there will always be more available, either captive bred or wild in your area.

BeardedIggy
09-15-2008, 06:14 PM
i know the petstore around where i live sells Ribbon Snakes maybe they buy garter snakes? i am willing to do research into breeding if neccissary i have a smaller tank that i could house babies in if needed

aSnakeLovinBabe
09-15-2008, 08:12 PM
i know the petstore around where i live sells Ribbon Snakes maybe they buy garter snakes? i am willing to do research into breeding if neccissary i have a smaller tank that i could house babies in if needed

it sounds like you are not quite prepared to take care of a litter of garter snakes... the female can have anywhere between 10 and 50!!!! Depending of course, on how big she is.

Taking care of that many baby garters is a lot of work, they have to eat every other day, they poop a LOT, and they can dehydrate or starve very quickly if they are not kept right and become too stressed to eat or drink.

infernalis
09-16-2008, 04:35 AM
It is a strange time of season for a mating to work in the wild.

If gestation were to begin now, the litter would be due just in time for winter brumation, not a good scenario (I think)

I know that females retain sperm, but isn't that when they copulate on the way into the dens??

BeardedIggy
09-16-2008, 08:07 AM
it sounds like you are not quite prepared to take care of a litter of garter snakes... the female can have anywhere between 10 and 50!!!! Depending of course, on how big she is.

Taking care of that many baby garters is a lot of work, they have to eat every other day, they poop a LOT, and they can dehydrate or starve very quickly if they are not kept right and become too stressed to eat or drink.

it onl seem that way because even though i have aked for some help on them you guys have only discouraged me from doing so

iam a proud owner of a Bearded Dragon i also used to care for an iguana i had done tons of research on both these animals i think i might be up to th task at hand, and im not trying to be rude here.

also Dekaybrown said

It is a strange time of season for a mating to work in the wild.

If gestation were to begin now, the litter would be due just in time for winter brumation, not a good scenario (I think)

I know that females retain sperm, but isn't that when they copulate on the way into the dens??

so if had did the researh needed to house baby snakes would they not b better off in a warmer inviroment?

drache
09-16-2008, 08:30 AM
ugh but im not so sure i want babies yet :P i jst barely got them and all i got for extra cages right now are a ten gallon tank hw do i tell if my female is gravid and what do i need to do if she does give birth?

it onl seem that way because even though i have aked for some help on them you guys have only discouraged me from doing so
it's possible that people were responding to the earlier post, in which you expressed that you weren't sure you wanted babies right now
if you do want them, we'll be happy to help
as to your other question
personally I never put babies into brumation the first winter
I just keep them at room temps with additional daytime basking areas
they usually eat throughout the winter

infernalis
09-16-2008, 08:33 AM
so if had did the research needed to house baby snakes would they not b better off in a warmer environment?

That was exactly what I meant, Releasing her now, if the copulation were to have produced offspring would not be good for the babies at all.

We have many late litters in the wild population here, I stumble onto snakes that are still very small and wonder how they will fare this winter.

One thing that I know first hand, We placed 2 snakes of opposite gender together, very similar circumstances, innocent intentions and all.

Since I created that (The babies were delivered in the winter) I felt very strongly about taking care of what I created.

The babies were started and all but a few released in the spring when the favorable weather returned.

The male passed away, we still have the female, and one of her babies.

If folks seem to be a little over critical, it is not to put you down, nor find fault.. Sometimes when one tries to display our interests in the animals welfare, we tend to get carried away. ( I myself have been quite guilty of that charge)

jitami
09-16-2008, 01:37 PM
Wayne, these were garters? I would, quite possibly wrongly, assume that any mating done this time of year may result in retained sperm, but not litters?

BeardedIggy, I'm sorry if you took my advice as discouraging. You asked what you should do and I answered what I think you should do. We're all here to help in any way that we can, but we've had a few tragedies with babies and wild caught females on the list this year and I hope you'll understand that we'd rather you do the research first. Maybe get used to one pet garter before worrying about how to care for a whole clutch of babies. I don't think raising babies is rocket science, but it is a lot of work and you have to be very careful to keep conditions just right for them. Either way, though, it's your decision and we'll all help you the best we can.

BeardedIggy
09-16-2008, 05:52 PM
allow me to clear the air here i know you guys are trying to do whats best heck on oter forums visiti am the same hway haha ihave mae the decision to keep them snakes have always interested me. with that being said i have some questions

1. how small are the baby snakes when thy are born
2. what temperature d need to keeptem at?
3. what size foods can i feed them
4. how big of a tank do i need to house the baby snakes in or can they cohabit with each other, not the mother/father snake i kno wthey can eat te neonates someimes.

also i was given ths care sheet on garter/ribbon snakes tell me what you think about it is it accurte? bad good?

garter-ribbonsnakes - Care Sheets Information about Garter and Ribbon Snakes Snakes garter-ribbonsnakes ,characteristics and sexing, Description of Diet, Diet-Carnivorous,Supplements, Nutrition and Usage - calcium and vitamins, Lighting and UVB,Tempa (http://www.repticzone.com/caresheets/1.html)

EdgyExoticReptiles
09-16-2008, 06:13 PM
depending on species the babies can be like 3-6" , 85F one one side of the tank is good, food should be no bigger than their head, and it depends how many babies you have and yes they are communal just watch them at feeding time so they dont mistake each other for a worm.

allow me to clear the air here i know you guys are trying to do whats best heck on oter forums visiti am the same hway haha ihave mae the decision to keep them snakes have always interested me. with that being said i have some questions

1. how small are the baby snakes when thy are born
2. what temperature d need to keeptem at?
3. what size foods can i feed them
4. how big of a tank do i need to house the baby snakes in or can they cohabit with each other, not the mother/father snake i kno wthey can eat te neonates someimes.

also i was given ths care sheet on garter/ribbon snakes tell me what you think about it is it accurte? bad good?

garter-ribbonsnakes - Care Sheets Information about Garter and Ribbon Snakes Snakes garter-ribbonsnakes ,characteristics and sexing, Description of Diet, Diet-Carnivorous,Supplements, Nutrition and Usage - calcium and vitamins, Lighting and UVB,Tempa (http://www.repticzone.com/caresheets/1.html)

aSnakeLovinBabe
09-16-2008, 06:21 PM
I think you mistook what I said. I did not mean that you are incompetent... what I meant.. was that unless you are properly prepared... they can drop like flies in no time.

Garter snakes will sometimes breed in late fall, before hibernation, and the females will retain the sperm until spring, and will either breed again in spring, or have a very early start in gravidity and birthing babies the following season... resulting in larger heathier snakes that are more likely to survive their first hibernation.

BeardedIggy
09-16-2008, 06:25 PM
i know you guysaenttryin to all me incompetent you just want whats best for the snakes asin naural breeding.