PDA

View Full Version : Feeding Issues

pittylova
09-14-2008, 09:30 AM
Ok...so the baby garter I have won't eat pinkies, won't touch fish, and won't eat worms. I've scented everything with the frozen toadlets like suggested and he just won't take them. He won't even eat the toads unless they're alive. Should I be stubborn with him and keep doing what I'm doing figuring he'll eat when he's hungry enough?

aSnakeLovinBabe
09-14-2008, 06:16 PM
how long have you had him? I would say leave him alone for a few days before you try and feed him again. Trying every day, all the time.. will only stress him out more and cause him to not eat more!

pittylova
09-14-2008, 09:04 PM
I've had him about a month now. He ate fine the first week...three times in the week. But they were toadlets and one feeder guppy. I offer him food every few days. I was informed that the amphibians really aren't the best choice due to bacterias, etc. So I started freezing a few of the toadlets to use to scent the foods. No luck. He won't eat frozen toadlets either. I even tried scenting with a live one and putting it in a dish with pinky parts and worms that it couldnt' escape from. He ate the toadlet...wouldn't touch the rest. I don't want him to get sick from the toadlets, but I don't want him to starve either. I've been waiting every few days even if he doesn't eat.

drache
09-15-2008, 03:34 AM
if he is not too skinny, I would give him a decent fast to get him hungry, and then stick him in a vented deli cup with a frozen/thawed toadlet over night in a quiet place (his tank?)
once you get him to take anything dead, it should be easier to switch him