PDA

View Full Version : What kind?

Roosterboy
09-12-2008, 02:35 PM
Hi! I am new and i don't own a garter snake. I would like to but i would not know what kind to get. I would like to get either a red-sided, a Florida blue striped, or a snake native to my area. Do these snakes require anything special? Is there anything unique about them? What kind of snake would be native to Central New Jersey? Does anyone think a different type would be better? Thanks!:D

kurtnagel
09-14-2008, 06:09 PM
This is a good place to start to learn about native species. Of course, there are a LOT of folks here that have the same info in their heads!

gartersnake.info - all about garter snakes (http://www.gartersnake.info)

Odie
09-14-2008, 06:18 PM
Hi, from Oregon, Roosterboy :)

Stefan-A
09-14-2008, 06:22 PM
Welcome aboard. :)

Loren
09-14-2008, 07:15 PM
Hi and welcome. For the most part, U.S. garters all take very similar care. As for natives, I'm all about the natives of my area, being found in my area is what makes me like them. Only thing I'd do first is look into your states regulations on native reptiles to see if you can legally posess them or collect them.
In my state, you have to have a fishing license, and can only collect a certain number of certain species.
But in regards to which one to get in general, I'd learn a bit more about them all and then choose which one floats your boat the most. They are all neat.

Roosterboy
09-14-2008, 07:49 PM
This is a good place to start to learn about native species. Of course, there are a LOT of folks here that have the same info in their heads!

gartersnake.info (http://www.gartersnake.info)

Yes i have been to that website but thank you.:)

drache
09-15-2008, 04:16 AM
welcome to the forum
if you're anywhere near NYC, feel free to visit
I currently have 10 different kinds of garters and you're welcome to check them out to get some idea as to what you might like

Aundrea
09-15-2008, 06:54 AM
Hi and Welcome to the Forum!!! :D

reptile3
09-15-2008, 06:56 AM
Hi & Welcome!! I don't have any garters either... I am getting 2 dekayi's very soon *hint hint*. Also going to get a red sided garter too!

jitami
09-15-2008, 08:43 AM
Welcome :) Since their care and temperaments are so similar, I just choose what appeals to me visually :)

anji1971
09-15-2008, 07:56 PM
Hello, and welcome!:)