PDA

View Full Version : Earthworm Probe

ATNGUY
09-10-2008, 11:03 PM
A response to Aundrea's Thread on Earthworms.

I thought I would start a new thread since I went off on a tangent.

The dowel trick works, and the same reaction can be had with a pitchfork. I believe the worms are fooled into thinking Mr. Mole is coming, so they run to the surface.

WORM PROBE: Sssssnakeluvr explained the process pretty well. I use a pretty heavy gauge cord, like the cord from an old hair dryer, computer or fridge. In order to make the probe safer than the ones we made in college, I attached each wire to a screwdriver. Now it doesn't matter if you use a Philips or a flathead, but I would recommend using a plastic or rubber handle, not wood. (note careful use of sarcasm to make an important point! Don't ZAP yourself)
Strip off a couple of inches of the wires insulation, wrap it around the screw driver and secure it wire electrical tape. Look at my picture, I used some heavy gauge speaker wire so I could move the probes easily.

The grass should be damp, like a few hours after you watered. Stick probes in the ground about a foot to 18 inches apart, (30 to 45 cm for all the metric guys out there) plug probe into the extension. Watch the worms wiggle to the surface.

Pick up the worms. Move the probes, either one at a time, or the same time. Wear rubber sole shoes. Sometimes, if the ground is really wet you can feel a little tingle picking up the worms.

http://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//500/medium/new_036.jpg
http://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//500/medium/new_038.jpg

Stefan-A
09-11-2008, 12:08 AM
..and no insurance company in the world is going to pay up if something goes wrong and I wonder how well these instructions will work in a 220-240V country.. ;)

ATNGUY
09-11-2008, 12:37 AM
I totally agree that one should be careful. My guess is that big pet pythons are a greater risk, however. Heck, picking up salmonella or some other bacterium from all the feeding and handling we do is probably more hazardous.

Plug the extension cord into a GFI outlet if you are concerned.

For all the Europeans.....get a shovel, or try the pitch fork or wooden dowel trick.

florian
09-11-2008, 03:05 AM
Hello,
i used the electricity method (octet method) to cast out earthworms for my master thesis a couple of month ago. As you can see it looks a bit different. The needels are about 50 cm (19,69 in) deep into the soil and the electricity circles around always on two opponent needels.
I think this method works best with earthworms living on or near the surface. The deep digging species often escape to the subsoil.
Florian

http://foto.arcor-online.net/palb/alben/90/3002590/1280_3263333138316364.jpg (http://javascript<b></b>:self.close();)

infernalis
09-11-2008, 06:02 AM
..and no insurance company in the world is going to pay up if something goes wrong and I wonder how well these instructions will work in a 220-240V country.. ;)

Now that would make an interesting eulogy at the funeral......

The worms would be well done:D

Anyone remember the hot dog cooker that passed live current through the hot dog?? The resistance of the meat would cook it. However it made the dogs taste bad.

Here is another method to extract worms, crude yet effective:D

http://www.torquato.com/images/BLAST.jpg

Aundrea
09-11-2008, 06:42 AM
Thanks ATNGUY. I think ill have my bf do this for me cuz im a big clutz and knowing me ill shock myself and something will go wrong LOL.

Wayne your funny!!! Just think how many worms we would get by using your method LOL :eek:

reptile3
09-11-2008, 06:55 AM
That looks like my front yard.. ha ha I have a huge sink hole getting bigger everyday. Antguy, thanks :)

http://www.torquato.com/images/BLAST.jpg

sschind
09-12-2008, 08:59 AM
If you are that concerned you can use a 12 volt car battery. I watched someone do it when I was in high school. It may not be as effective as a 120 volts but it does work.

Oh yeah, and Matthew Broderick used it on the Chernobyl earthworms in one of the Godzilla flicks.

Jack Neary
09-12-2008, 07:56 PM
Now that would make an interesting eulogy at the funeral......

The worms would be well done:D

Anyone remember the hot dog cooker that passed live current through the hot dog?? The resistance of the meat would cook it. However it made the dogs taste bad.

Wayne,
You're too damn funny! My neighbors would not be suprised if I did this to find worms.
(they laugh at me when they look out their back window in the morning seeing me dig around for worms in my boxers.... LOL)
Regards,
Jack

Lori P
09-13-2008, 07:43 AM
Jack? Could we get a picture of that? LOL

anji1971
09-13-2008, 09:12 AM
And I thought I was the only one out pulling up worms in my pajamas!:D

infernalis
09-13-2008, 01:13 PM
And I thought I was the only one out pulling up worms in my pajamas!:D

Dorothy hunts for night crawlers in her jammies all the time:eek:

anji1971
09-13-2008, 07:53 PM
Well, now I don't feel so alone!
Although, given the chance, I'd live entirely in my jammies if I could get away with it. They're my most favouritest clothes!:D

drache
09-14-2008, 04:48 AM
Well, now I don't feel so alone!
Although, given the chance, I'd live entirely in my jammies if I could get away with it. They're my most favouritest clothes!:D
mine too
my neighbour Ellen who is in her eighties, is out sweeping her sidewalk several times per day, wearing a night gown - her sidewalk is spotless
I have not yet found any other pants that feel quite as comfy as flannel jammy pants

anji1971
09-14-2008, 04:26 PM
I buy at least 4 pairs of flannel jammies every fall. You just can't have too many, it seems!

Garter_Gertie
09-19-2008, 04:24 PM
I get overly large men's flannel jammy pants and wear them all fall and winter. Sometimes, when you're lucky, you can find them IN FLEECE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Garter_Gertie
09-19-2008, 04:25 PM
If you guys EVER come across adult, female FEETY JAMMIES, please let me know. I'll send you the money for buying and shipping them.

reptile3
09-19-2008, 04:43 PM
If you guys EVER come across adult, female FEETY JAMMIES, please let me know. I'll send you the money for buying and shipping them.

In My Mom, group there was a mom asking for those same ones for her daughter. I will look it up & see where she found some...

;)

reptile3
09-19-2008, 04:44 PM
I get overly large men's flannel jammy pants and wear them all fall and winter. Sometimes, when you're lucky, you can find them IN FLEECE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I love the men's flannel jammies!!!! I wear a tank top & flannel pants, when it gets cooler, then I wear a long sleeved shirt.

infernalis
09-19-2008, 05:55 PM

Dorothy fits into the children's feety jammies:D

Sweats are my fave, comfy and non restrictive as well as warm.

Snake lover 3-25
10-01-2008, 05:31 PM
lol well didn't this thread go off course:D

Garter_Gertie
10-01-2008, 05:33 PM
Carter's? Is Dorothy one of the Little Folk?

Dorothy fits into the children's feety jammies:D

Sweats are my fave, comfy and non restrictive as well as warm.

Garter_Gertie
10-01-2008, 05:35 PM
Shanley, it did NOT go off topic! LOL!!!

We are discussing the PROPER ATTIRE one should wear when one is out electrocuting and/or pulling worms up outta the ground.

You know, you just can't go collect worms in ANY old thing! :)

Snake lover 3-25
10-01-2008, 05:39 PM
lol :D

Aundrea
10-01-2008, 08:30 PM
Damn that reminds me I have to go dig for worms tomorrow. And its starting to get cold here lol. I need to look at some sites that sells eurpoean night crawlers :D

crzy_kevo
10-03-2008, 12:28 PM
well i tried the worm probe out made with 2 screwdrivers an old pc cord and an old power cord for a ps1 supplied the link to the second screwdriver and i must say i am very impressed within 15 minutes i got 11 worms of varying sizes to feed my adult snakes and my babies as well i found another at least 5 that were too small even fro babies so i left them

Zephyr
10-03-2008, 04:40 PM
Kay, I'm about to try this out. My grandpa gave me some old powerchords from his store: As well as a railroad spike. So I'm gonna try it out with only one plug into the ground.
Are there any disadvantages to this?
Aside from the possibility of death? lol

Snake lover 3-25
10-03-2008, 04:42 PM
lol i asked my dad if i could do it and he said no:( lol actually he said anyone who does that has a death wish...... lol:eek:

Zephyr
10-03-2008, 04:43 PM
Hence the reason my dad will be actually doing it and I'll be "watching." lol

Snake lover 3-25
10-03-2008, 04:44 PM
lol nice:D

crzy_kevo
10-03-2008, 07:05 PM
its actually not as dangerous as you think i do have a pretty good knowledge of electricity just dont touch the metal parts of the screwdrivers if you are really paranoid then wear a couple pairs of rubber gloves and a good way to be safe as well is to stick them into the ground first then plug it in and then move them around one at a time as needed

Zephyr
10-03-2008, 07:23 PM
Kay, I'm using copper nails apparently...
No show tonight. Not a single worm.
But it was really cold out. Hopefully it'll be bright n' shiny tomorrow and the worms will be higher up in the ground.

CrazyHedgehog
10-04-2008, 06:14 PM
OMG I so thought you lot were talking about sexing probes for worms...(envisages teeny weeny little probes and magnifying glass):rolleyes:

crzy_kevo
10-04-2008, 06:23 PM
kyle are you using long nails because im using long screw drivers going at least 9-10" into the ground plus the earth has to be wet for it to conduct the electricity properly and let it sit for a few minuted watching carefully especially when doing it in the grass because they tend to hide under the grass so when you do it again water the grass fo for a while and then wait about an hour and then try it you should get some results as well if you are using an outlet on the outside of the house make sure the breaker is on and that you didn't blow the breaker by accidentally touching the probes together

ATNGUY
10-04-2008, 06:41 PM
I am glad to see some of you guys have tried the probe. I got a chuckle as this thread drifted off into PJ preferences.

Kevin, my screwdrivers are shorter than yours, have you tried pushing them in halfway? I wonder if 8-9 inches diffuses the current too much. Just a thought. Your comments on watering are dead on. Water is needed to conduct the juice, and if the grass is too dry the worms will be deep.

Zephyr, you mentioned going out at night.....I use my probe during the day, for what its worth. Daylight doesn't seem to matter, soil moisture is a bigger issue.

Regarding safety concerns.....Kevin is dead on regarding the circuit breaker. Also, if you have modern wiring, you should have a GFI outlet in your kitchen and bathroom. These outlets will trip easier if there is a accident. But as long as you are careful, you should be fine. Use common sense! With that being said, bare copper nails scare me a bit. I would highly recommend screwdrivers and lots of electrical tape.

Andrew