PDA

View Full Version : How to tell if gravid?

Scott E.
09-10-2008, 01:10 PM
I have a wild caught female. I think that she is a female by identifying her tail structure. Anyway, we have had her a couple of months and I was wondering how to tell if she might be gravid. She is about 19" long and seems to be much fatter than when we found her, but I could just be misremembering. It is my understanding that it is getting late in the season for births, and I want to make sure that I am not doing anything that might make her hold on to her babies, if she has any. I don't know if she was old enough to breed this year based on her size, etc.

Scott E.

infernalis
09-10-2008, 02:42 PM
Can you post a close up picture??

The "flower" setting (macro) works best for close ups.

Yes it is late, but we had a longer than usual winter, I am finding neonate snakes out back from time to time, so litters are still being born.

Maybe I am over thinking things, but the season will be changing, and I do wonder how many of those late babies are going to find sufficient food and have enough time to put on some size.

The creek has begun to dry up, and the ground is really dry, so worms and fish are in short supply. (And our snake population is abundant) So I do wonder about them..

Scott E.
09-10-2008, 04:02 PM
I will try to get one posted. Does she need to be stretched out or can she be coiled up?

Scott E.
09-10-2008, 06:05 PM
I have taken some pictures. Please tell me if I need them to "pose" differently.

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm162/ohmslaw69/IMG_0143.jpg

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm162/ohmslaw69/IMG_0144.jpg

Thanks!

ssssnakeluvr
09-10-2008, 06:06 PM
I think it's past time for litters to be born....babies will be popping up...out looking for their first meals before winter gets here!!

Sid
09-10-2008, 06:10 PM
Nice garter, Scott. In my opinion she looks very healthy, but not gravid.

Scott E.
09-10-2008, 06:13 PM
Thanks for the input. I was worried that the cage temps weren't right and I was causing her to hold on.

GartersRock
09-10-2008, 08:42 PM
I agree. Does not look gravid to me. ;)