PDA

View Full Version : Question about prey

pittylova
09-05-2008, 08:30 PM
I was wondering if it would be ok if I put a few of the American Toadlets inside the cage with my baby garter? I don't have another cage to keep them in and I want to try to snatch enough before it's too cold. I have some slugs, and little salamanders as well that are in small containers. I know that I have to be sure that the snake eats. But if I know how many started out in the tank and kept track of them would it be alright? Would a snake overfeed? If I do put them in together it will be after I switch the snake into a 55gal aquarium so everybody will have plenty of room. Any thoughts?

infernalis
09-05-2008, 08:35 PM
Snakes placed with an abundance of food have been known to gorge themselves.

pittylova
09-05-2008, 08:42 PM
OK then, I'll refrain. Thank you!

ssssnakeluvr
09-05-2008, 09:22 PM
they can overeat and die....have had a couple over the years before I got serious with breeding. also, to keep the cage damp enough for the amphibians, it will be too damp for the garter, can lead to skin infections that can kill them. best bet is to get a salmon filet and cut it into small chunks and freeze them separately, then thaw what you need.

pittylova
09-05-2008, 09:33 PM
Is it going to be hard to get a wild caught garter onto a non-living diet though?

ssssnakeluvr
09-05-2008, 09:35 PM
not at all, we do it all the time. very easy. lots of us also feed frozen/thawed pinky mice and rats. worms are good for scenting them, along with mixing in with fish pieces. cheaper than trying to raise toads and sallies all winter to feed.

pittylova
09-05-2008, 09:48 PM
Maybe I'll give it a shot come the cooler weather. I'll use what I have available as far as amphibians go, and the slugs. He really likes the toads.

ssssnakeluvr
09-05-2008, 09:50 PM
ok....but be careful...they can get intestinal parasites from amphibians. what kind of garter do yoiu have???? and, do you have any pics???? we love pics on here!!! :D

pittylova
09-05-2008, 10:05 PM
It's an Eastern Garter, about 6-7" I found out back. I only have one picture and it's not good at all. My camera isn't working right and won't focus well on smaller things for some reason. I posted the one picture in a previous post but here it is again:

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i302/PittyLova/snake.jpg

ssssnakeluvr
09-05-2008, 10:09 PM
thats a cute little baby! small worms are also good to get him feeding.

pittylova
09-05-2008, 10:13 PM
He had no issues feeding at all so far. I gave him a wax worm when I first brought him in (next day) as I have them readily available for the fire bellied toads and anoles. He had a slug a couple of days later, and today scoffed down the toadlet as soon as I put it in the tank. When I found him bug hunting he must've just ate a red eft as he regurgitated it as soon as he saw me. I'm surprised he ate it as it was huge compared to him.

ssssnakeluvr
09-05-2008, 10:16 PM
they dont eat insects....they cant digest them. stick with fish, amphibains, rodents, and worms

pittylova
09-05-2008, 10:19 PM
Somebody had told me that slugs/waxworms/superworms were ok...if not I'll not give them to him.

Stefan-A
09-06-2008, 12:44 AM
Slugs are okay as long as you don't make it the snake's staple food. A mix of fish, rodents and worms is recommended.

pittylova
09-06-2008, 07:19 AM
OK, thank you. No more wax worms. I appreciate all of the helpful advice.

jitami
09-06-2008, 08:53 AM
I'm guessing it's not as important with babies, but with a wild caught snake I would go ahead and start transitioning it to pinky parts now before the cooler weather comes. Wild caught adults almost always lose interest in feeding during the colder months, even if they're kept inside nice and warm. Don't know if the same would hold true for a baby, tho. You could also freeze the toadlets and save them for later. That would greatly reduce the parasite problem and you can use them to scent mice or mice parts later.