PDA

View Full Version : Baby T.s. pickeringii

ATNGUY
09-04-2008, 08:22 PM
New guy here...it seems the forum likes babies and pics...so here you go.

No final count on the number of babies...still happening!

Mom and first born. Pretty sure they are Puget Sounds.....

infernalis
09-04-2008, 08:51 PM
They are Pugets:)

Welcome......

jitami
09-04-2008, 09:00 PM
Very nice! Congrats on the new arrivals!

EdgyExoticReptiles
09-04-2008, 10:10 PM
They are Pugets :)http://www.thamnophis.com/forum/../images/smilies/smile.gif

Welcome......[/quote]

i think those look ordinoides...
heres a pick of a blue ordinoides (it's rick's)
http://www.thamnophis.com/forum/../../thamphotos/data//500/medium/DSC05996.JPG

they lack the blue diamonds on the sides and they just dont look pugety to me

Here's a pic of a puget
http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk260/edgyexoticreptiles/My%20Collection/Garters/DSC_1686.jpg

ATNGUY
09-04-2008, 10:37 PM
OK, first off....how do I post BIG pics? That might help....and save me some time trying to crop and shrink the pics. Do I use the insert image rather than the 'manage attachment' ?

I will look closer for the diamond. I have a male that has the diamond look. For what its worth....and I know this is nothing more than anecdotal, but we got these guys in a tidal estuary on Puget Sound.

EdgyExoticReptiles
09-04-2008, 10:45 PM
if u email me the pics reed@edgyexoticreptiles.com ill post them full size, oh ya ordinoides are in washington too

OK, first off....how do I post BIG pics? That might help....and save me some time trying to crop and shrink the pics. Do I use the insert image rather than the 'manage attachment' ?

I will look closer for the diamond. I have a male that has the diamond look. For what its worth....and I know this is nothing more than anecdotal, but we got these guys in a tidal estuary on Puget Sound.

ssssnakeluvr
09-04-2008, 10:46 PM
theres a link somewhere on posting photos....first you need to save normal pics in a gallery..you can upload them there, then copy them to the post

Snaky
09-05-2008, 01:35 AM
Here's a link for posting pictures:
http://www.thamnophis.com/forum/site-feedback-suggestions-questions/1008-guide-posting-pictures.html

Welcome and have fun here :)

GartersRock
09-05-2008, 02:04 AM
They look like nice ordinoides to me too....

GartersRock
09-05-2008, 02:05 AM
Can you get some scale counts?

infernalis
09-05-2008, 04:43 AM
Now there is a whole new twist to "Stunning blue garters"

Is "Bob" selling ordinodes as well? The words "Puget sound" and "Pickeringii" never appear in any of his ads??

could many of us assume we have Pugets and really have ordinodes??

Aundrea
09-05-2008, 06:50 AM
Welcome to the forum!!! You got some nice snakes there :D

ssssnakeluvr
09-05-2008, 10:19 AM
yes, some of his pugets last year were blue ordinoides.

GartersRock
09-05-2008, 01:41 PM
But just because some of Bobs pugets are ordinoides doesn't mean that we should just call all ordinoides "puget sounds". lol! I am confused.

There is a definitive scale count. And for me it's pretty easy to tell them apart. lol!

ssssnakeluvr
09-05-2008, 03:16 PM
patterns are obvious...ordinoides have a row of spots along the side strip and along the bertebral stripe....not connecting as other checker patterns, plus a more blunt head.

reptile3
09-05-2008, 03:31 PM
Welcome to the site... very nice snakes!!

ATNGUY
09-05-2008, 09:54 PM
OK, I was curious about this "Bob" guy.....running around my neighborhood. I read something from Wayne I think...about him having no arms or legs..floating in Puget Sound...I found out he has taken up Water skiing...and now goes by Skip.

It was enlightening to read some older threads on this site, and I think I found him being discussed on PNW Herps. It seems like he may have crossed a few lines.

As a new guy here, and a new guy to owning snakes, I must confess to some ignorance regarding the ethics and protocol of this hobby. After reading some opinions here, and some of the laws in my state I realize catching snakes with my kids crosses the line. Not as far across the line as gathering as many as I can find and selling them for a profit, but not ok just the same.

With that being said, I do plan on releasing most of the babies back in the wild. Also, most of the snakes we caught were on private property, where the owners, unfortunately, mow over a lot of snakes with their lawnmower. So rescuing them from the private side of the river, and releasing the babies on the other side on more protected land is probably a benefit for the local population.

For whatever all that's worth.....

Andrew

ssssnakeluvr
09-05-2008, 10:00 PM
catching a couple for pets, as long as it's legal where you live is fine...rescueing and moving them is great too..we like to see more of them survive. taking females home just to watch them give birth is not such a good idea. some places, for example, her in Utah, once to take in a reptile, you are not allowed to release it back to the wild. as an animal control officer and working with the reptile rescue we are allowed to remove and relocate reptiles. what bob appears to be doing is going out and catching lots of snakes and selling them...not sure thats legal...plus there have been some misidentifications of his garters, and a number weren't healthy.
going out and catching snakes for photos and stuff is cool, make sure you post photos...we love photos on this forum!!! :D

ATNGUY
09-06-2008, 01:24 AM
Don,

I read all the laws here in WA st. Its not even legal to catch them. But that was done a few months ago....and you confirmed my thoughts about releasing them back after they have been captive. Heck in Washington they passed some initiative a few years ago...primarily aimed at ending the practice of hunting with hounds (cougar hunting) but it also included something about using traps....so it is now illegal to trap moles in your yard.

The laws about capturing snakes and other wildlife has been on the books since the '70's, so Bob ain't behaving right. Did he own a pet store in the Bellevue area? When I was digging around I found some info on another site about a 'Bob' and a scummy Pet shop in Bellevue.

More photo's to come. Took some today....all wild guys....left in the wild.

GartersRock
09-06-2008, 01:53 AM
Bob... *grumbles*

jitami
09-06-2008, 09:11 AM
Andrew, I think most of us here agree that catching a garter here and there to keep as a pet is ok as long as the snake isn't endangered and is treated well once in your care. Some neighborhood kids caught our first garter as a yearling and he's been with us 6.5 years now :) I had planned on only having captive bred garters from here on out and the very same week I received my first two captive bred babies a wild adult showed up in my driveway. I probably could have driven her to a nearby creek or pond, but she's now a part of the household... no laws broken, tho as we have a two snake per species limit and she puts me at two.

Garter_Gertie
09-06-2008, 09:40 AM
OK, I was curious about this "Bob" guy.....running around my neighborhood. I read something from Wayne I think...about him having no arms or legs..floating in Puget Sound...I found out he has taken up Water skiing...and now goes by Skip.

It was enlightening to read some older threads on this site, and I think I found him being discussed on PNW Herps. It seems like he may have crossed a few lines.

As a new guy here, and a new guy to owning snakes, I must confess to some ignorance regarding the ethics and protocol of this hobby. After reading some opinions here, and some of the laws in my state I realize catching snakes with my kids crosses the line. Not as far across the line as gathering as many as I can find and selling them for a profit, but not ok just the same.

With that being said, I do plan on releasing most of the babies back in the wild. Also, most of the snakes we caught were on private property, where the owners, unfortunately, mow over a lot of snakes with their lawnmower. So rescuing them from the private side of the river, and releasing the babies on the other side on more protected land is probably a benefit for the local population.

For whatever all that's worth.....

Andrew

That was well thought out and well said. And I so appreciate you putting some thought, consideration and research into your new found passion. (Trust me, it gets more addictive than you can EVER believe! :D)

This forum is probably the epitome of forums regarding garters, and even snakes in general. The thought and intelligence bank here is off the chart.

But if the ONLY thing you ever learn here is about Bob, or Skip, and the only thing you ever do is never purchase a snake from him then - in my opinion - our existance has been proven to be more than worthy and/or needed.

It's nice to have. You sound like a good person.