PDA

View Full Version : Housing Multiple Snakes

pittylova
09-02-2008, 10:31 PM
As I mentioned in my last (and first) post, I'm extremely new to snakes. I was looking into corn snakes and doing research on them prior to me catching this little garter. Now that I see how much of a variety there is I'm really interested in them. In researching other species of snake many sources said not to house them together unless breeding. What about garters? I noticed a lot of what I researched just talked about tank sizes. Is it ok to house multiple garters? What about different types of them? Would it have to be 2 Easterns, or could it be an Eastern and another subspecies requiring the same environment?

jitami
09-06-2008, 07:08 PM
It could be different species/subspecies just make sure they're the same sex so you don't end up with little hybrids :) Vagrans(Wondering Garter Snakes) are known to be cannibalistic. To play it safe you should avoid housing a vagrans with a cage mate. Having the snakes be approximately the same size is always a good idea and feed separately. Hope that helps :)

pittylova
09-06-2008, 08:10 PM
Thank you for the advice jitami. I'm going to wait until I have the anole/tree frog vivarium complete and am going to update their 55Gal for this snake. Then I'll look into getting another of the same size. Another quick question about housing them. I know that water dishes are a must, but what about water features? Is there a depth that's really too deep? I have a water feature in the tank he'll go in and am unsure if I should remove it although I really like my stream/waterfall lol.

ssssnakeluvr
09-06-2008, 08:20 PM
they are all good swiimmers....just make sure he is able to get out of the water dish.

infernalis
09-07-2008, 09:15 AM
Water features are great, However be extra careful, inspect everything, if your snake can fit inside the plumbing anywhere on the water feature, it can wind up inside a pump impeller, and killed.

Ensure that the intake fittings all have screens to prevent entry.

pittylova
09-07-2008, 09:44 AM
I was actually thinking about that as far as the water feature goes. I have a shrimp in it for clean up and it likes to hide in the holes in the waterfall. I'll have to plug all of thsoe up.