PDA

View Full Version : Cloudy Eyes

kurtnagel
08-31-2008, 11:20 PM
Hi All,

I came in to look at Rosa today and her normally bright, clear, inquisitive eyes appear dull and cloudy. I am guessing that she is preparing to shed, but being new to snakes, I just want to make sure I am prepared.

Is there anything other than a shed that this symptom might indicate? If so, how do I rule them in or out?

If it is a shed, what should I expect and how do I help Rosa?

Kurt

bio6464
08-31-2008, 11:24 PM
You don't need to help, she will shed all by herself. Once she has shed, look out she's gonna wanna eat. :D
Jerry

Hornets23
08-31-2008, 11:25 PM
She is probably going to shed. I dont think that you really have to do anything different as long as you're already doing things right. She will probably shed within a couple days. Thats what mine do.

kurtnagel
08-31-2008, 11:54 PM
She has been lounging in her water bowl more that usual over the past week and has "seemed" a bit more lethargic today. She did seem a bit hesitant to take her pinky on Saturday, actually just held it in her mouth for a few minutes before swallowing and I have never seen her do that before. Usually the strike is hard and the pinky is down in a about 20 seconds. All this seems in line with what I have read about shedding snakes, so...

Is there a sign that shedding will happen within hours? It would be cool to see it happen!

Kurt

infernalis
09-01-2008, 05:37 AM
Kurt, Everything is going to be fine. Sometimes we get lucky and can see the shed happen, but for the most part, your going to find a skin in there when you don't expect it:D

Snakes will sit in the water bowl more when getting ready to shed, it helps to soften the old skin.

kurtnagel
09-02-2008, 08:16 PM
Okay,

She must be near the time! Her eyes cleared today, so... waiting!

Kurt

infernalis
09-02-2008, 08:19 PM
Are you going to save the shed?? Start a little collection:D

GartersRock
09-02-2008, 08:21 PM
First shed! Cool!

kurtnagel
09-02-2008, 08:25 PM
Are you going to save the shed?? Start a little collection:D

Will have to save it for my daughter if she sheds before tomorrow night! It is after all "her" snake. Jess stays over Weds and Sat. and it is her responsibility (mostly) to feed her, so it is only fair that she get first dibs on the shed!

kmreese
09-02-2008, 08:59 PM
Hey Kurt, First shed? That's cool. I think mine is going to be doing the same thing soon, too. A few days ago I noticed her eyes were cloudy as well. I started searching this forum and learned that she was exhibiting signs of a pending shed...loss of appetite, cloudy eyes, dull looking colors...but now her eyes are clear. She still won't eat, but seems more calm when I handle her. I've only had her for a little over 4 weeks now.

I'm hoping that she really is about to shed and it's not a sign of sickness or something. She hasn't eaten for 7 days now and she was eating a lot before I noticed the cloudy eyes. I guess we'll see.

garterchick
09-02-2008, 09:06 PM
just make sure that the snake has something to rub on to help her start the shed, such as a rock, piece of wood, or a plant, and rosa will do the rest.

kurtnagel
09-02-2008, 10:31 PM
just make sure that the snake has something to rub on to help her start the shed, such as a rock, piece of wood, or a plant, and rosa will do the rest.

No problems there. She has a driftwood branch and her "Hidey" is kinda rock-like.

kmreese
09-03-2008, 12:32 PM
Hey Kurt, did she shed yet? Mine shed last night! She's beautiful. I found the skin this morning. I'll post some pics sometime today or tomorrow. I'm sure glad she shed because I was getting worried. Also, for the rest of the members out there...my cat caught a baby mouse this morning. It's so small. Looks like a small Brazil nut with little legs and fur. Do you think I can give it to Koda? I'm sure it's small enough for her to eat, but I was more worried about something being spread from my cat since I'm sure it was in his mouth at some point while he was 'playing' with it. Thoughts??

kmreese
09-03-2008, 01:08 PM
Hey Kurt, Hope your little Rosa sheds soon. You'll like the way she looks afterwards. Here are a couple of pics - I know how everyone likes pics
:)

jitami
09-03-2008, 01:36 PM
km, is it my imagination or does Koda still have a bit of skin stuck at the end of her tail?

kmreese
09-03-2008, 02:09 PM
Hi Tami, Yes, you are very observant :) I picked her up after her photo session and as she slid through my fingers, I caught that last little piece of skin. Gently, of course. She's all good, thanks!

jitami
09-03-2008, 02:31 PM
Glad to hear all's well :)

kurtnagel
09-03-2008, 04:14 PM
Nope,

No shed yet. Her nose looks a little dry and crackly, so I am expecting it anytime.

Kurt

kurtnagel
09-04-2008, 12:23 AM
Woo Hoo!

I missed it by 15 minutes :(. I just looked at her and there it was a complete, beautiful shed! Looks like she used the side of her water bowl, because she and her shed were 1/2 in 1/2 out of the water. I won't get to see the shiny new Rosa until tomorrow, when there will be normal light.

My daughter is here, but sound asleep, so she will get to see the dried skin tomorrow before school. Phew, my first one under the belt. Thanks for the encouragement guys and gals.

Kurt

Lori P
09-04-2008, 05:29 AM
Hey Kurt, did she shed yet? Mine shed last night! She's beautiful. I found the skin this morning. I'll post some pics sometime today or tomorrow. I'm sure glad she shed because I was getting worried. Also, for the rest of the members out there...my cat caught a baby mouse this morning. It's so small. Looks like a small Brazil nut with little legs and fur. Do you think I can give it to Koda? I'm sure it's small enough for her to eat, but I was more worried about something being spread from my cat since I'm sure it was in his mouth at some point while he was 'playing' with it. Thoughts??

Tempting tho it might be, I avoid this because of the parasite load a wild mouse can carry. Just my thoughts. :)

infernalis
09-04-2008, 05:11 PM
Tempting tho it might be, I avoid this because of the parasite load a wild mouse can carry. Just my thoughts. :)

I agree 100 percent.

Here where I live, I could raid wild mouse nests all day long, not worth it!

kmreese
09-04-2008, 07:36 PM
Congrats on your 1st shed, Kurt! :)

Also, thank you all for the advice on the baby mouse. I let it go. I wouldn't want to endanger the life of my snake.

Thanks a lot!