PDA

View Full Version : I have a question

reptile3
08-30-2008, 02:36 PM
Just out of curiosity.... when you say Pinky parts, does that come already pinky parts or do you have to chop them on your own?

As for the salmon, is that frozen or fresh?

thank you, i am all new to this, I just want to learn!

crzy_kevo
08-30-2008, 02:41 PM
you can buy the salmon either frozen or fresh either way you are going to end up freezing the salmon and it is cheaper to buy it already frozen and you can still cut it into pieces when it is frozen and as far as the pinkies well i have only heard of chopping them

Zephyr
08-30-2008, 02:42 PM
Just out of curiosity.... when you say Pinky parts, does that come already pinky parts or do you have to chop them on your own?

As for the salmon, is that frozen or fresh?

thank you, i am all new to this, I just want to learn!

1. Cut'em up on ya own. :)
2. When I say salmon I mean salmon I've vacuumed in the freezer, then used thawed pieces of it.

infernalis
08-30-2008, 02:44 PM

You will be dicing and slicing. If you purchase frozen pinks and just pretend it's sea food or something it will be easy:D

as for the salmon, is that frozen or fresh?

Either works, frozen is easier to handle, and cut then store it in the freezer. Thaw only what you need:D

Garter_Gertie
08-30-2008, 02:47 PM
Zepher has to vacuum his freezer? Thank GODS I've not dust bunnies in MINE!

CrazyHedgehog
08-30-2008, 02:50 PM
I have special 'pet food' scissors that are kept with feeding dishes etc.....
A regular pair of scissors but very sharp, cut up fish fillets into small strips and full mice or pinkies(f/t),

Loren
08-30-2008, 03:48 PM
You will be dicing and slicing. If you purchase frozen pinks and just pretend it's sea food or something it will be easy:D

I pretend they are baby mice. I hate mice !

Just kidding. :)

reptile3
08-30-2008, 07:44 PM
Thanks for all the responses....

:)

Lori P
08-31-2008, 06:47 AM
Cut them up while they're frozen. No goo that way. :-)

enigma200316
08-31-2008, 06:49 AM
yep y'all have this one pretty chopped up....lol:D

Loren
08-31-2008, 11:25 PM
I chew them up while they are still frozen... no knives to wash that way. Just have to brush my teeth. :-)

Hornets23
08-31-2008, 11:27 PM
Sick!!! :p

infernalis
09-01-2008, 07:23 AM
Really chopping them up while frozen is less messy and easier to stomach.

If there are any bargain stores close by, I have found fillets of Tilapia for $1:D and I can feed a lot of garters with a buck worth of fish....

Zephyr
09-01-2008, 07:48 AM
If there are any bargain stores close by, I have found fillets of Tilapia for $1:D and I can feed a lot of garters with a buck worth of fish....Amen brotha.
St. Peta's fish FTW. :D

reptile3
09-02-2008, 01:20 PM
I chew them up while they are still frozen... no knives to wash that way. Just have to brush my teeth. :-)

And don't forget to use Listerine!!!:p

reptile3
09-02-2008, 01:21 PM

If there are any bargain stores close by, I have found fillets of Tilapia for $1:D and I can feed a lot of garters with a buck worth of fish....

Do you use a knife & chop them, or do you use a chopper?

jitami
09-02-2008, 02:01 PM
I use a sharp little knife, but have heard of others using scissors... have not heard of anyone using a chopper... Kyle(Zephyr) throws a bunch of stuff in the blender and makes a paste for his babies and it works for him but I think most of us use knives or scissors.

Btw, Kyle's blended mush fed babies now eat pieces of worm, tilapia, & pinky with no hesitation. He must be doing something right :)

Stefan-A
09-02-2008, 02:05 PM
You can cut them with scissors when they're thawed. A lot less messy than chopping them up while they're frozen.

infernalis
09-02-2008, 05:21 PM
Do you use a knife & chop them, or do you use a chopper?

I have a cutting board and a mini cleaver.

I cut them semi-frozen. They are still stiff, but not rock hard.

Also Stefan does have a point, if you don't mind the juices, scissors work well, I imagine you could also cut them with scissors while they are semi frozen also.

reptile3
09-03-2008, 06:55 AM
[/font]

I have a cutting board and a mini cleaver.

I cut them semi-frozen. They are still stiff, but not rock hard.

Also Stefan does have a point, if you don't mind the juices, scissors work well, I imagine you could also cut them with scissors while they are semi frozen also.

Thank you...:)

infernalis
09-03-2008, 07:00 AM
No problem. You are probably already used to washing your hands a hundred times a day anyhow. (having kids will do that)

If you are going to be cutting lots of worms and fish fillets or mice, a pair of surgical scissors can be real handy.

I just used mine to open those eggs up that hatched last week:D