PDA

View Full Version : Garter snake inhaling excessively

Zephyr
08-19-2008, 10:28 AM
The parietalis that Don sent me is doing something very odd; He seems to be sucking in air. It looks like he's swallowing and very lightly opening his mouth; not in a gasping fashion but in a breathing way. It's very hard to explain. Coincidentally, my male albino checkered and one of my male easterns are "checking him out." Is he possibly emitting pheromones? I'm VERY confused here.

Zephyr
08-19-2008, 10:33 AM
I saw one of the males attempting to copulate with him, so I picked him up.
Next thing I know his neck has enlarged, and he spit something up on me. It's a clear, almost watery liquid; He might have had a drink and was caught off guard when I grabbed him so he puked it up. The only other thing I'd think is a repiratory infection; I'm VERY confused.

Snake lover 3-25
08-19-2008, 11:18 AM
wow that's strange...... what he puked up was mostlikely water.... but i know nothing about him opening up his mouth.....

Snake lover 3-25
08-19-2008, 11:19 AM
O wait!!!!! my corn did that!!!!! she had mouth rot!!!! maybe that's what it is??? i'd check....

jitami
08-19-2008, 11:20 AM
Was he still breathing heavy after puking up the liquid?

Zephyr
08-19-2008, 11:22 AM
Was he still breathing heavy after puking up the liquid?Not very; I left to go ship some "parcels" and when I got back home everything seemed just fine; his breathing doesn't seem labored or anything and he just sorta exploring right now.

jitami
08-19-2008, 11:26 AM
Ummm... did you say "ship some parcels" ??? YIPEE!!! :D :D :D

Just based on what I've read, with no real experience, I'd keep a very close eye on him and raise his temps some. It could still be a respatory infection and he just coughed up some of the mucous making it easier to breath for a while... or it could have been water?

Zephyr
08-19-2008, 11:31 AM
Ummm... did you say "ship some parcels" ??? YIPEE!!! :D :D :D

Just based on what I've read, with no real experience, I'd keep a very close eye on him and raise his temps some. It could still be a respatory infection and he just coughed up some of the mucous making it easier to breath for a while... or it could have been water?The temps in the tank are usually pretty high; 85+ during the day and the wandering garter is almost always basking. :)

jitami
08-19-2008, 11:38 AM
Cool, keep us posted... hopefully it was nothing...

ssssnakeluvr
08-19-2008, 06:38 PM
that is odd...I have had them occasionally bring up water after drinking if I pick them up... if it's not happening now, thats good, doesn't sound like respiratory infection...keep a good eye on him and keep me posted!!!! oh, and is one of the "parcels" on it's way here????? :rolleyes::D

Zephyr
08-19-2008, 06:39 PM
that is odd...I have had them occasionally bring up water after drinking if I pick them up... if it's not happening now, thats good, doesn't sound like respiratory infection...keep a good eye on him and keep me posted!!!! oh, and is one of the "parcels" on it's way here????? :rolleyes::D1. He's doing fine now. He went after a worm earlier but his "gay lover" stole it from him. XD
2. Yes. :P

ssssnakeluvr
08-19-2008, 06:40 PM
1. He's doing fine now. He went after a worm earlier but his "gay lover" stole it from him. XD
2. Yes. :P
LOL!!!!!! cool!!!! can't wait!!!!!!!!!!!!