PDA

View Full Version : Water...

jitami
08-16-2008, 09:35 AM
I'm wondering what kinds of water you use. I know that seems like a silly question, but do you use tap water, treated tap water(treated with what?), distilled water, filtered water, something else? I've always used dechlorinated water for Sly...declorinated by filling a gallon jug of tap water and letting it sit for at least 24 hours, but usually several days. As I'm kind of rethinking everything right now, I'm wondering if this is adequate or for that matter if tap water is adequate? I don't think I've ever seen the importance of treating water mentioned here. I just did a fair amount of searching and re-read the care sheets and couldn't find it mentioned so I'm wondering if this is an issue at all?

Keeping a filled container of water handy is no big deal, but tap water would be easier... especially when the kids steal your jug of water to use for who knows what ;)

Stefan-A
08-16-2008, 09:49 AM
Tap water.

adamanteus
08-16-2008, 09:50 AM
Yeah, tap water.

GartersRock
08-16-2008, 09:59 AM
Filtered water. We got a note when we moved in here that the tap water here will kill your fish. ??? That was enough to get us to put a filter on the tap for everyone. lol!

jitami
08-16-2008, 10:00 AM
Cool :cool: Thanks guys!

I know that fish need dechlorinated water, but snakes?

GartersRock
08-16-2008, 10:13 AM
In my case it was something else in the water. I forgot. ;)

And maybe they don't "need" it. But it's not healthy for anyone. Even humans to be drinking all the time. *shrugs*

Garter_Gertie
08-16-2008, 11:38 AM
Tap water...

infernalis
08-16-2008, 11:47 AM
All I did was mention that we have a well, with pure 100 percent H20 so prolly, I just forgot to click submit.......:D

Have guests on the track, so I gotta get back outside, came in for a quick break, and since I love you guys all so much, had to log on and see what was going on:D

Lexa
08-16-2008, 12:05 PM
I use boiled water myself, since I read somewhere that tap water has so much junk and chlorine in it that it's best to try and get all the bugs out.

Loren
08-16-2008, 12:06 PM
I use 2 of the 5 gallon jugs, fill them with filtered drinking water at save mart for about 1.50 per 5 gallons. Even with 85 snakes, it hardly costs anything in the long run.
The snakes get clean water, the clear plastic water dishes wipe perfectly clean by hand every time, and I use it in my mister bottle too, so my tanks never get waterstains.
In my opinion it is well worth the 3 dollars a month.

I fill my fish tank with it too- no hard water lines. (I just have a couple old goldfish, so ph isnt really an issue).

GartersRock
08-16-2008, 12:06 PM
I never thought of boiling it before. Would be WAY to time consuming with the number of snakes I have though... How many o you have Lexa?

GartersRock
08-16-2008, 12:07 PM
Hmmm... I like the sound of that Loren. Really you don't get water lines and stuff?

Loren
08-16-2008, 12:11 PM
Not at all in the water dishes. I use plastic clear deli cups for bowls, and simply wash them with my fingers under a stream of water in the sink, and they look like new every time. And thats after evaporating slowly over the coarse of a week or so.

Not sure about "not at all" on the fish tank, but it sure helps a lot. And air stiones last forever. I just dont know if that water works well for some of the more delicate fish with special ph requirements.

The filtering process removes the particles that cause the water deposits.

GartersRock
08-16-2008, 12:19 PM
Makes me wonder about my filter... My water dishes don't get fill lines but the turtle tank still gets them pretty bad...

Loren
08-16-2008, 12:23 PM
Well, there a re different types and stages of filters. Some specialize in removing chlorine and that sort of thing, others in removing fine particles...
The water at savemart pretty much gets run through a full spectrum of filters, as far as I understand.

jitami
08-16-2008, 03:46 PM
Great ideas guys! Either Lori or Lexa's ideas would be easy enough! Thanks again everyone!

drache
08-16-2008, 08:17 PM
I just use tap water filtered through a brita water filter

jitami
08-16-2008, 08:30 PM
Thanks Rhea. I've been thinking about getting one of those for the house anyway. OH, we have water in the door of our fridge that is filtered! How could I forget that? Well, that would be easy enough. geez.. my blonde is showing.

Lexa
08-17-2008, 06:26 AM
Hehe, only have one snake at the moment, so it's less time-consuming - I set the water to boil and pour it into the dish before I clean him out, and by the time I've finished it's the right temerature!

GartersRock
08-17-2008, 07:26 AM
Oh ok! Cool!!

Lexa
08-17-2008, 07:31 AM
I've also spoken to people who use bottled water for their herps, since you can get it for 17p etc in big supermarkets like Tesco if you use their own brand. Apparently that's better than untreated tap water, as well.

Elliot
08-17-2008, 09:31 AM
We have a well, so all the water for my snakes comes from the sink.

anji1971
08-17-2008, 10:58 AM
I use plain old tap water. Seems to work!

jitami
08-17-2008, 03:53 PM
I use plain old tap water. Seems to work!

If it ain't broke don't fix it :D

Thanks guys! I appreciate everyone's input! I think I'll use the filtered water out of the fridge. I can't believe I didn't think of that before... although, I was thinking chlorine would be the problem and not necessarily minerals. Glad it doesn't really seem to be an issue at all :)

Zephyr
08-18-2008, 03:32 PM
Tap water. The whole water-might-kill-fish thing may be because you may have incredibly soft or hard water.

drache
08-18-2008, 05:34 PM
I've also spoken to people who use bottled water for their herps, since you can get it for 17p etc in big supermarkets like Tesco if you use their own brand. Apparently that's better than untreated tap water, as well.
not necessarily
most communities have tap water standards that are regulated
bottled water is not subject to the same regulations and has in some instances found to contain contaminants worse than tap water
some of it is tap water and some of it comes from springs located in less than pristine environments
not to mention that it's been sitting in plastic for a while and who's to know that it's not been sitting inside that plastic cooked on some tarmac for a few hours here and there
also it uses up more petrochemicals one can justify (bottles & transport)
please get yourself a water filter
a brita filter is inexpensive and you're doing the earth and oceans that nourish our critters a huge favour by not covering it with used plastic
the 17p you pay has no relation to the real cost

bio6464
08-18-2008, 10:57 PM
Tap water for all my babies...including my baby girl (125lb labrador/horse). :eek:
Jerry

jitami
08-19-2008, 11:29 AM
I have two of those Jerry :) One 150 pound male great dane/horse and one smaller female who's about 115. The boy was 170 in his prime :D and not an ounce of fat, either :) He's 37" tall at the shoulders :)

Charlet_2007
08-19-2008, 11:46 AM
i use the baby water you get at walmart for my snakes.. its suppose to have everything bad taken out..