PDA

View Full Version : Ribbon snake rescues

Lori P
08-12-2008, 04:09 PM
Hi guys, I need some help with two ribbon snakes I rescued today. I was told they are about a year old. The person who had them has kept them in this tank for the past 10 months:

http://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//500/medium/rescue_ribbon_snakes_wet_tank_2.jpg

http://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//500/medium/rescue_ribbon_snakes_wet_tank_1.jpg

http://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//500/medium/rescue_ribbon_snakes_wet_tank_3.jpg

Yes-- that is a tank of water, with a cork piece propped upright as their only resting place. So they have basically been soaking or cramped on top of the damp cork for 8 months. No wonder, then, that this is what I found when I pulled them out:

(I apologize for the pics, my macro wasn't working, but I still think you can get the idea)

http://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//500/medium/rescue_ribbon_snakes_scale_rot_2.jpg

http://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//500/medium/rescue_ribbon_snakes_scale_rot.jpg

Finally got my macro working for this one:

http://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//500/medium/rescue_ribbon_snakes_scale_rot_close_up.jpg

I assume this is scale rot??

Please tell me how to treat this-- I've never dealt with it!!!

I have moved them to a tank with Carefresh bedding and hides. So they are actually able to stretch out and be dry... what a concept for the poor things...

He fed them by keeping rosy reds in the tank. So they had to eat and drink in the same unfiltered water that they and the fish soiled. :-(

GartersRock
08-12-2008, 04:52 PM
Ugh! Thats horrible!!
Yes. I have dealt with scale rot in some wild caughts here during a really rainy season. Some of them had it REALLY bad.
All I did was make sure none of it was infected. Kept them very dry and clean and it will clear up with a few sheds (which are more frequent until it is gone).
Anyone have anything else to ad?

Good luck with them! They are lovely!

Lori P
08-12-2008, 04:59 PM
Thank you... I'm reading about putting an antiobiotic ointment on it... and the site I'm reading also says they sometimes need oral antibiotics. I'm wondering when you know it's bad enough for that?? One of them is shedding as we speak and oh, he's going to be just beautiful soon-- he has a lot of blue on him!!! :-)

I'm wondering about a mild betadyne wash??

GartersRock
08-12-2008, 05:02 PM
I am sure antibiotic ointment wouldn't be a bad idea for the extra bad spots. I try to use as little drugs as possible with all my animals and myself. But that's just me. ;)

As for oral antibiotics... Unless it's totally infected I wouldn't use it. But like I said. I am drug paraniod. lol!

I LOVE BLUE! Of course you all knew that!
We want pics as they heal up. ;)

dashnu
08-12-2008, 05:07 PM
uhh man Lori, that is terrible. I wish you much luck with those guys I am sure you will pull them through.

crzy_kevo
08-12-2008, 05:12 PM
ya good luck lori im sure you will be able to get them back to good health again

infernalis
08-12-2008, 05:17 PM
the best antibiotic cream I have ever used is Silvadine SSD, it is potent and safe on reptiles. You will need to get it from a vet, it's a prescription only.

I will not say anything angry, I will not say anything angry, I will not.....:mad:

Lori P
08-12-2008, 05:32 PM
Wayne, believe me, I hear ya. This just made me sick. Luckily, it's one of those situations where the guy didn't really want these snakes to begin with, and never wants more. I just wish he'd have given them up months ago so they didn't have to suffer so. I can't stop thinking about them day after day trying to get comfortable on that narrow ledge, or fall into the water... they kept falling when I was there.

Silvadene-- we have it at the office! I'll bring some home tomorrow. We use it for thrush in the horses. Thank you for suggesting that!! That's good stuff.

I think I'd just like to let them settle for tonite. They seem very small for yearlings, to me... but I could be wrong.

GartersRock
08-12-2008, 05:35 PM
Well... They are at least in great hands now!! I bet they are relieved to be able to settle on dry land. Wish I could see it...

Aundrea
08-12-2008, 05:36 PM
awwwww Lori im so glad that you rescued them. Who knows what would of happend if they stayed there any longer. They sure are pretty tho :D I hope they heal up soon. I cant believe that person kept them in that dirty water for so long and had that little peice of rock to dry off of UGH:mad:

Sid
08-12-2008, 05:41 PM
Lori, besides Waynes recommendation, I would have the temp in their tank a little bit toward the high side. Good luck and I'm sure you will have them fit in no time.

Lori P
08-12-2008, 05:44 PM
Just had to snap one more pic, then I swear I'll leave the poor things alone to relax! The one that's shedding is much bluer than the pic shows.

http://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//500/medium/rescue_ribbon_snakes_in_new_tank_resize.jpg

This is just a temporary 10 gallon tank-- same size as the one they were in-- until they have some time to settle in and get a little healthier. Then they'll get great new digs. They're so little, this is fine for them for now.

Thanks guys. I hope to get them eating healthier soon, too. But one thing at a time.

Lori P
08-12-2008, 05:44 PM
Sid, thank you, I meant to ask that. What do you think for a basking spot?? 90 too high?

Sid
08-12-2008, 05:50 PM
Sid, thank you, I meant to ask that. What do you think for a basking spot?? 90 too high?
Sounds perfect, Lori.

infernalis
08-12-2008, 06:28 PM
Thank you Sid!!! Excellent, I was so stewed over the sphincter who did this I forgot........

Silvadine was what I used on Carmella's tail, and Sky when hit mite bites got infected.

We keep a tube at all times, truly a wonder ointment.:D

So glad you were there to take them in Lori.

jitami
08-12-2008, 06:33 PM
Poor little things. Glad they ended up in your hands Lori. Good luck with them.. .

anji1971
08-12-2008, 06:59 PM
Awww, Lori. They're such beautiful little critters. Poor neglected things.......:(
I am SO glad the powers that be led them to you. Now they can have a healthy, happy life.

Charlet_2007
08-12-2008, 07:08 PM
ive got a 55g thats not being used.. you want it CRAP i just saw your in VA.. Im in missouri that wont be any good.. send them to me then lol...:D:D:D:D

Lori P
08-12-2008, 07:57 PM
I don't know guys... I went in there to peek a little bit ago and the one was lying across the tank with half of his body upside down. I ever so gently picked him up to see if he was breathing and he was just so limp. He is the one who was shedding, but I realized it was an old shed-- once he dried off, it was obvious this had been stuck to him for quite some time. I used some warm Shed Aid to oh so gently massage the old shed off, and could see where it had constricted him quite a bit in a few places. He is now half in and half out of a hide and I think the best thing-- the only thing-- is to leave him alone and hope the warmth, the old skin not constricting him, and the dryness pay off. Man, I hope he makes it... he can't go now, he hasn't had a chance yet!!

Loren
08-12-2008, 08:16 PM
Sounds like you are doing all you can Lori. I agree about a good basking spot, (as Sid said). Just make sure that the 10 gallon tank doesnt get too hot through out the whole tank when getting your basking spot up, since they arent real big tanks. Thats all I can add that hasnt been said.
Sometimes they make it, sometimes they dont, but you are doing what you can do.

infernalis
08-12-2008, 08:24 PM
Fingers crossed for your Ribbon:(

Sometimes I wonder.

GartersRock
08-12-2008, 08:42 PM
Wow... I so hope he pulls through!! :(

drache
08-13-2008, 04:50 AM
fingers crossed, here too
those poor snakes
I hope it's not too late for the just shed one

Lori P
08-13-2008, 05:21 AM
Thanks everyone! Both are still alive this am. Neither moved one bit from where they were last night... resting quietly, it seems.

Loren, thanks for the reminder on how hard it is to regulate temps in such a small tank. I played with the height of the heat lamp last night, and ended up with a small basking spot of 90 and temps of 78-80 on the cooler side. :-)

I have a suspicion about the one who was so limp... I think his back end is paralyzed. I say that because of the way it was lying across the tank upside down last evening... and so this morning, when I saw that he was still curled under the log but his back half was lying straight out, I touched it and he did not react at all. If so, that would explain why the poor guy kept falling off that damn thin piece of cork... aaaarrrrrrgh. :-(

Lori P
08-13-2008, 07:29 AM
WHOA!!!!! Both boys just ate like CRAZY!!!!! They went like mad for live minnows and both ended up getting pieces of chopped up nightcrawler in the process... at first, they both spit out the nightcrawler but then as they ended up hitting them again, instead of the minnows, they started to swallow them and now they've both eaten quite a good first meal!!!!! YES!!!!!!!

Um-- Wayne?? Do I get a kitty for the boys??

dashnu
08-13-2008, 07:33 AM
Um-- Wayne?? Do I get a kitty for the boys??

Haha, congrats Lori!!

Not a kitty but here ya go!!!!

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c336/warriorwife/th_dancesqurrl.gif

Lori P
08-13-2008, 07:40 AM
LOL!! THANKS Brett!! You rock!!

Zephyr
08-13-2008, 08:20 AM
Good luck Lori. My male butler's had scale rot pretty bad when I found him, same with my ribbon. It tends to clear up just fine if you keep them nice and dry with the option of soaking. Don't lose your cool; You'll do just fine. :P
Will you be looking for homes for them as well? :P

Snake lover 3-25
08-13-2008, 09:30 AM
good luck lori..... people like that make me so mad!!!!:mad: i hope they make it:(

GartersRock
08-13-2008, 09:35 AM
Yay! Sounds like they are on there way!
That is actually "good news" that you think the ones back end is paralyzed. Much better then him seeming to be dying or whatever. :(
I had a snake with a paralyzed bottom half that fully regained feeling. And while he was paralyzed he led a perfectly normal life, eating, pooping etc. ;)

Glad to hear they are eating!!

Aundrea
08-13-2008, 10:25 AM
Im sooo glad that they are doing good and that they are eating!!!! I bet they are just soooo happy to be outta that bad tank they were in. Poor guys :mad: How are the turtles that you rescued a few weeks ago doing?

crzy_kevo
08-13-2008, 01:05 PM
thats great news lori :D

drache
08-13-2008, 01:06 PM
great news that they're eating

Lori P
08-13-2008, 01:29 PM
Aundrea, the turtles are also thriving!!! They are eating great and they loooooove their new tank and new "swimming pool". :-) The one that had the prolapse surgery is healing very well, and they are all active. I feed them a salad every day with assorted veggies and fruits, and night crawlers twice a week. They seem to be pretty content. :-)

GartersRock
08-13-2008, 01:30 PM
What kind of turtles Lori?

Aundrea
08-13-2008, 01:36 PM
awwww Lori that is GREAT!!!! Im so happy they are doing great and love their new home :D You will have to post some pics of them soon :D

Zephyr
08-13-2008, 01:38 PM
Hey Lori; Throw some mealies or lobster roaches in there. Our box turtle loves eating hissers. :)

Lori P
08-13-2008, 02:33 PM
They are box turtles, and our own Aundrea informed me I have one eastern box and two three toed boxes. :-)

Kyle, I tried the roaches and no go on the live ones, but they did eat the f/t ones!!! I forgot to mention that.

Will post pics later as long as the powers that be don't zap me for posting non-garter pics. LOL

Aundrea
08-13-2008, 02:40 PM
If they zap ya then you can email them to me :D

Roaches? eeek im scared to death of them LOL Im a wimp I know LOL

Yeah she has some great looking turtles. I used to have a 3-toed but she passed away :(

Loren
08-13-2008, 05:35 PM
Lori, sounds like a good sign that they ate. As for heating small tanks, I do sometimes use heat lamps on 10 g tanks, but a trick I found for 5 gallon tanks could be something to consider too, if you want the other end a bit cooler yet. I put a heat lamp pointing at the lower far end of the tank, on the outside, and actually heat one end through the glass. Be careful not to melt the trim or the shelf its on.
I use this for a couple small desert snakes, and get a heat gradient of room temp all the way to 105+ deg. f. all in a 5 gallon tank.
Sounds like what you have should work, I just thought I'd share that idea.
Also, giving elevated basking areas(closer to the bulb) gives them hotter spots, but sounds like the one wont be able to climb too well.

Zephyr
08-13-2008, 05:37 PM
You can also use one lamp for two tanks side-by-side. :P

Loren
08-13-2008, 05:41 PM
Thats actually what I do. :) You can get quite a bit of use out of 40 watts if its right up against 2 tanks.

Lori P
08-14-2008, 05:12 AM
Great ideas guys. :-) The 1/2 paralyzed one actually did crawl partially up the branch under the lamp and soaked up some heat yesterday. :-) They are moving around the tank well. I will get some more pics of the back end of the paralyzed one (I need to name these guys soon to make it easier to talk about them!!) as I can see more clearly that it is slightly shrivelled.

OH-- also-- here's what my vet told me for the scale rot:

Wash them down with betadine (or a VERY dilute iodine mix); dry them; rinse them with hydrogen peroxide; then apply the silver sulfadiazine cream. He said they may need inj. antibiotics given the extent of it, but I'll try this first. I haven't done it yet, will do it all tonite... wanted them to rest well after eating yesterday.

Will keep you posted!!! THANK YOU ALL!!!

GartersRock
08-14-2008, 01:47 PM
Glad to hear they are doing well!

Lori P
08-15-2008, 06:43 AM
I offered the ribbons their second meal today: sliced pinkies in with the live minnows. OMG-- they ate everything and then some!! I started with one pinky sliced up in the bowl, thinking that would be too much: I ended up slicing up three more!! Finally, I grabbed my camera to take a video-- so the quality isn't great, but at least you can see them downing anything their mouth ends up on...

Also, watch their interaction with each other... the one is much more aggressive over the food bowl, chasing the other off. The other one comes back and eats his fill, but it was interesting to watch them. The more aggressive one at one point bites at the bowl-- someone else posted a video of a snake doing that, I can't remember who.

Anyway, here are the piggies... I think they'll be fine!!! :):)

YouTube - Rescued ribbons eating (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLxYK0VjAnY)

dashnu
08-15-2008, 06:50 AM
They look good to me. The only thing missing in that video was some good narration ;)

Great job with them Lori!

infernalis
08-15-2008, 07:04 AM
Very nice!! Lori you'r the best!!!:D:D

jitami
08-15-2008, 08:23 AM
Thanks for posting that video Lori! I would have been a nervous wreck worried that one would take a bite out of the other. There were several times where I would have panicked and removed one of them or the food. It's nice to see that the behavior in the video is normal. Interesting stuff.

Aundrea
08-15-2008, 08:42 AM
Great video Lori!!!! :D I enjoyed watching them eat. Boy they sure are fast at grabing them fish. It was kinda funny to see them chasing the other off when one got near the bowl. They sure do look very happy in their new home :D

GartersRock
08-15-2008, 09:35 AM
YAYYY!! Awesome news!!
I feed my three puget sound girls in a group... They usually do fine but yesterday they where so excited over the extra smelly perch guts and whatnot that Rachel grabbed Silvie's head and I had to "pull" (push really, with the way their teeth work) her off. I FREAKED. She's fine. But I am not. lol!

Snake lover 3-25
08-15-2008, 09:37 AM
omg wow i've had to break up some food fights with the babies... but they usually don't get past the worm b4 i can catch them....

GartersRock
08-15-2008, 09:39 AM
It wasn't even after food. lol! She saw her head movement and just grabbed. *rolls eyes* Silly things.

Snake lover 3-25
08-15-2008, 09:45 AM
wow lol strange....

Lexa
08-15-2008, 09:56 AM
It's so good that they're making a recovery - at least you've got them now, instead of them staying where they were. I love the video! Well done you!

GartersRock
08-15-2008, 10:05 AM
Fiesty girls!! Thats all. lol!

lestat
08-15-2008, 02:54 PM
Thats good that you were able to rescue them. I hope that both will be ok. Keep us informed.

GartersRock
08-16-2008, 12:58 AM
How are they doing?

Lori P
08-17-2008, 11:36 AM
Amanda, they continue to do so well! This morning they ate minnows, pieces of tilapia, and sliced up pinkies again. They are getting hungry every 2 days... so I'm feeding them all they want right now. They both stay on the warmer side of the tank most of the time and seem to just be eating and resting. I can't really tell if the scale rot is better, but I guess I won't really see a change until they shed.

Thanks for asking!!! I'll get more pics soon!!!

Loren
08-17-2008, 01:46 PM
Sounds good Lori. The heavy feeding should help them shed more often too.

GartersRock
08-17-2008, 03:37 PM
Awesome!! And yeah. You won't see a change on the rot until they shed. ;) And there will be a BIG differance!

anji1971
08-17-2008, 04:34 PM
Sounds like they're settled in nicely, Lori.
If they're eating like that, you shouldn't have to wait too long for that shed!
Poor little dears probably weren't fed very well in their old home either.:(

Lori P
08-21-2008, 06:33 PM
The new boys are doing so well... and one of them, the yellower one, shed today!! I think the other one is close also, altho, I never did see these guys' eyes blue over. Weird. Anyway, I moved them into a larger tank-- I had an empty 20 tall-- it's still not big enough, but for right now it's fine. Certainly better than the 10 gallon!! Here's some pics of their new home:

There is a crack in the back corner of the tank, so I used that bamboo placemat to cover it.

http://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//500/medium/new_tank_8_21_08_002.jpg

I shed!! I feel good!!!

http://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//500/medium/new_tank_8_21_08_crop_face.jpg

Look I can burrow in my new home!! It's too cool!

http://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//500/medium/new_tank_8_21_08_crop_peek_up.jpg

The scale rot still looks bad to me, but, I know it will take time to clear up. I think they are doing pretty well overall.

Garter_Gertie
08-21-2008, 06:44 PM
Damn, woman! What you can do to a tank! You should start your own snake tank setting up business. I LOVE your tanks!

jitami
08-21-2008, 06:45 PM
Very nice Lori! They look great and so does their new home!

Lori P
08-21-2008, 06:50 PM
LOL, I am the dollar store queen! The wreath thing is only the second one I've used; the first one I put in Desdemona's tank and she climbs that thing all the time. Hopefully these guys will get as much adventure out of theirs.

Garter_Gertie
08-21-2008, 06:52 PM
My guys, Peepers and Jeepers, LOVE their birdy house. But UNDER it. Oh, well. If it makes them happy, who am I to complain.

Gonna have to try the wreath-thingy.

I love your ideas, LorI. They're creative, pretty and functional.

GartersRock
08-21-2008, 09:05 PM
Awesome!! Nice setup!!

*hey... my post count went down.... Huh? Alot...*

infernalis
08-22-2008, 04:40 AM
It is great to see them doing so well Lori:D

Snaky
08-22-2008, 05:20 AM
Very nice to read that they are doing so great. Nicely done, Lori.

anji1971
08-22-2008, 09:38 AM
Looking good!
I like the new setup, too. :)

Aundrea
08-22-2008, 11:07 AM
WOW They look GREAT and they look soooo happy :D

If you start that tank business I would love to buy one from you LOL :D

crzy_kevo
08-22-2008, 11:47 AM
great setup lori glad they are doing so well

Lori P
08-24-2008, 02:21 PM
Ok, so... the other snake shed this weekend also. Or, at least, attempted to; he had a very bad shed. This is the one that seems partially paralyzed. I wet bagged him for a few hours today-- didn't want to keep him damp too long, with the scale rot-- and then sprayed him with Shed Aid and started lightly rubbing him. Got a LOT of shed off, and here's my question...

Could the "paralyzed" part simply be constricted by old sheds?? Because I swear, thick thick skin was peeling off and he seemed to be twitching it. It's so hard to explain... but I found that he had very thick skin all down his tail, too, more than just one shed worth... it was peeling off in tiny bits and I couldn't get good pics. Thoughts??

Also, they both ate WHOLE pinkies yesterday for the first time!!! I knew they were big enough but wanted to go slow with them... but their appetites are just huge and so I tossed a couple of whole pinks in with their minnows. They each downed them with no trouble. These boys eat anything you put in with their fish!!!

GartersRock
08-24-2008, 04:55 PM
Hmmm.... Interesting. I don't know. Anyone??

So great to hear about the appetites!! These ribbons can be verocious!!

crzy_kevo
08-25-2008, 12:43 PM
glad they are eating so well has any moevement been gained since you got that shed off?

Lori P
08-25-2008, 12:59 PM
YES!!!!! Yes-- and it is not so hard and shrivelled looking!!!! I think he had several retained sheds in that section... so we'll see how he does now. I'd never seen what retained sheds could do, or what they looked like, so it was all new to me.

jitami
08-25-2008, 02:07 PM
It does make sense Lori. Keep us posted on his progress!

GartersRock
08-25-2008, 04:08 PM
Wow...
Glad to hear it may get better!

infernalis
08-25-2008, 04:15 PM
YES!!!!! Yes-- and it is not so hard and shrivelled looking!!!! I think he had several retained sheds in that section... so we'll see how he does now. I'd never seen what retained sheds could do, or what they looked like, so it was all new to me.

I have seen stuck sheds restrict blood flow and effectively amputate tail sections.

anji1971
08-25-2008, 05:27 PM
Keep working on him, Lori!
I too have heard that stuck sheds can constrict enough to cause amputation.
This sounds promising though!:)

crzy_kevo
08-25-2008, 05:30 PM
well thats good news lori hopefully he will gain full movement back in his tail

Snake lover 3-25
08-25-2008, 06:02 PM
glad they're doing well!!!!:D

Lori P
09-06-2008, 08:04 AM
Just an update on the boys... they are absolute PIGGIES!!! They eat everything in sight and then some! I was telling the girls at work what total sausages they are getting to be, and one of the girls said to name them Jimmy Dean and Bob Evans... LOL... so that kind of stuck. :-) They still really get agressive and do all kinds of posturing at meal times, I'll have to get a new video. I believe if they keep eating like they are, they'll soon be bigger than Natalie's new berm... LOL!!!!

GartersRock
09-06-2008, 10:48 AM
:D So glad to hear it!! :D

infernalis
09-06-2008, 12:31 PM
Lori - You rock!!!! Nuff said:D

http://www.danceswithreptiles.com/1fun/smiley-clapping.gif

jitami
09-06-2008, 06:58 PM
Love the new smiley Wayne :) Nice job Lori! Glad to hear the boys are doing so well!

Lori P
09-10-2008, 05:01 PM
Are you guys tired of these two snakes yet??! Let me know if it's enough already!!! lol But I'm just so attached to them and love to share their progress... and I always enjoy watching a snake who really enjoys his meals eat. :-) These guys just DOWN their food so fast, too!!

Ok, so, here is Jimmy Dean this morning at breakfast (which consists of pinkies, tilapia, and live minnows). First he nails a piece of tilapia...

YouTube - Ribbon snake eating tilapia (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnF8ZTVk_Vs)

Then he comes back and grabs a live minnow. I don't know why the focus keeps coming and going on this one.

YouTube - Ribbon snake eating minnow (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbxMQgaox3c)

A few minutes later he grabs a pinky. (I told him head first goes so much faster...lol)

YouTube - Ribbon snake eating pinky (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3skkjlA8os)

The other snake hadn't even come out to eat yet... guess he was sleeping in. LOL But once he did, they ended up polishing off, between them, 6 pinkies, 7 pieces of tilapia, and both minnows. I told you-- sausage snakes!!!! LOL

Stefan-A
09-10-2008, 05:18 PM
Watched & rated. :)

This one wasn't bad either:
YouTube - Rescued pups and momma (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFMp-c6hUIs)

reptile3
09-10-2008, 05:20 PM
Lori, great videos wow, it was very interesting seeing that. I heard your dog in the background! lol

that snake sure was hungry!!!

reptile3
09-10-2008, 05:23 PM
. :)

This one wasn't bad either:
YouTube - Rescued pups and momma (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFMp-c6hUIs)

that was a cute video... look at the mom & puppies!!! awwwww

duh duh duh
09-21-2008, 08:00 PM
i'm quite keen to hear how these guys do, espeically the one who you think might be paralyzed.

I had a ribbon as a kid - a big one at that - and it was a great snake. I'd quite partial to them.