PDA

View Full Version : injury back!!garter snake...

what7psp
08-09-2008, 06:32 PM
last night my garter snake somehow escaped its cage..this morning i saw it beside my door.....it looks like someone closed the door and the snake got in the way.....it cant move half of its body...plz help....my garter snake is young....don't tell me take it too a vet....its like 20 miles away!!!!!

my snake is a Thamnophis couchii - Sierra Gartersnake

my snake without the ingury..;..

my snake with the injury..
plz help....

anji1971
08-10-2008, 01:35 PM
Oh, dear. I'm afraid that doesn't sound good.
I don't know much about this type of injury, but my instincts are telling me there probably isn't a lot that can be done for the poor thing. There are a lot of important organs that are most likely not going to be able to function.
I'll let some more experienced members handle it, but I think your option is going to be, sadly, euthanasia.:(
Sorry for such an unhappy welcome into our forum.

Stefan-A
08-10-2008, 01:44 PM
Three options.

1. Take it to the vet. I strongly recommend this option.
2. Keep it where it is and see how it develops. If it doesn't get better soon, see alternative 3.
3. Put it out of its misery. Back injuries are serious and its chances aren't good.

ssssnakeluvr
08-10-2008, 01:49 PM
doesn't sound good, lack of movement below the injury suggest spinal cord damage....give him a couple days and see if any movement comes back, if so then there is just minor damage and swelling around the cord....if no movement comes back, the cord is damaged and there's no choice...the snake will have to be euthanized.

what7psp
08-10-2008, 02:30 PM
doesn't sound good, lack of movement below the injury suggest spinal cord damage....give him a couple days and see if any movement comes back, if so then there is just minor damage and swelling around the cord....if no movement comes back, the cord is damaged and there's no choice...the snake will have to be euthanized.

right now my injured snake ate a live fish...is that good news

lestat
08-10-2008, 02:48 PM
So sad to hear that. Hope it is just swelling and it goes down but if not then try the vet. I know it is a long way to go but they are best trained and they can relieve it's pain.

infernalis
08-10-2008, 04:23 PM
20 miles is no big deal, even a Cadillac can do it with 10 bucks worth of gas round trip.

I would walk 20 miles to take one of my snakes to the vet.

heck where we live, its nearly 20 miles to the closest grocery store.

drache
08-10-2008, 05:12 PM
20 miles is less than a half hour drive, unless you live in NYC, where some of us don't even have cars
since you don't want to hear the obvious, I'm not sure how we can help you
somehow that sounds callous and I don't mean it that way
I am sorry about your snake - it really doesn't look good

aSnakeLovinBabe
08-10-2008, 05:30 PM
wow I am very sorry to see that... but it looks like your options are limited. i don't want to come off as harsh and please dont get mad at me, here but when a pet is in need of drastic help you should be willing to walk uphill both ways if you had to, if your dog or cat were hit by a car, you'd rush him to the vet, right? We need to care as much for our small pets as we do for our dogs, cats, and families.

Anyway, if you are (sadly) not willing to take your snake to a vet, your only option is to see if any movement is regained. If not, you need to have him euthanized because that kind of damage is irreversible and the snake will only suffer if you wait for him to die on his own:(

So sorry to see this is how you came upon us... Nonetheless I am glad you sought *some* kind of help.

I noticed you've got a goldfish in his bowl.... if he gets better, or if you should choose to get another garter, please don't feed goldfish, they are toxic to your snake:eek:

Everything else aside....Welcome to the forum and I hope you stick around and get to know some more garters!

GartersRock
08-10-2008, 05:47 PM
Wow... 20 miles is to much to take an animal to?

what7psp
08-10-2008, 05:56 PM
wow I am very sorry to see that... but it looks like your options are limited. i don't want to come off as harsh and please dont get mad at me, here but when a pet is in need of drastic help you should be willing to walk uphill both ways if you had to, if your dog or cat were hit by a car, you'd rush him to the vet, right? We need to care as much for our small pets as we do for our dogs, cats, and families.

Anyway, if you are (sadly) not willing to take your snake to a vet, your only option is to see if any movement is regained. If not, you need to have him euthanized because that kind of damage is irreversible and the snake will only suffer if you wait for him to die on his own:(

So sorry to see this is how you came upon us... Nonetheless I am glad you sought *some* kind of help.

I noticed you've got a goldfish in his bowl.... if he gets better, or if you should choose to get another garter, please don't feed goldfish, they are toxic to your snake:eek:

Everything else aside....Welcome to the forum and I hope you stick around and get to know some more garters!

i'm 15 and my parents are at work all day...no one would take me to the vet.....i'm usualy home alone.....bisides my grandma....and about the goldfish...there is no other fish in my local pet store exept goldfish....i would order middows or guppies online but i dont know how.....

what7psp
08-10-2008, 05:58 PM
Wow... 20 miles is to much to take an animal to?

agian...my parents are at work ALL DAY.....i'm 14!!!

what7psp
08-10-2008, 06:00 PM
20 miles is no big deal, even a Cadillac can do it with 10 bucks worth of gas round trip.

I would walk 20 miles to take one of my snakes to the vet.

heck where we live, its nearly 20 miles to the closest grocery store.

no you wont...I'm 14!!!i cant drive A CAR...my parents are at work ALL DAY!!!!

Hornets23
08-10-2008, 09:08 PM
I agree, 20 miles is nothing, and the vet is the best chance your snake has in this situation.

Odie
08-11-2008, 12:15 AM
Three options.

1. Take it to the vet. I strongly recommend this option.
2. Keep it where it is and see how it develops. If it doesn't get better soon, see alternative 3.
3. Put it out of its misery. Back injuries are serious and its chances aren't good.
I'ed go with this :(
Hi, from Oregon, What7psp :)

Lexa
08-11-2008, 02:21 AM
Why don't you phone up for a taxi, or take a bus? Seriously, the vet is the best option for your poor little guy.

Lexa
08-11-2008, 02:31 AM
Also, for food you can get a fillet of freshwater fish (such as trout) from your local supermarket, and cut that into small strips for your snakey to eat.

drache
08-11-2008, 05:04 AM
it's been a long time since I was 14/15 with limited transportation options and I kind of remember how hard that was sometimes
but I lived in a country that has public transportation, so I can't even imagine growing up in a country with no public transportation options and often no sidewalks
still - try to get the snake to the vet somehow, if it's not too late
the fish can be worked out - with some patience you can switch the little guy to frozen/thawed fish fillet

infernalis
08-11-2008, 05:47 AM
Good luck hope it works out for you.

anji1971
08-11-2008, 09:44 AM
How is your snake doing today? I hope you are lucky and see an improvement.
I can fully comprehend your difficulties with getting the snake to the vet.
I don't know about where you live, but around here, a 20 mile taxi ride is about $50.00. A preliminary vet exam is $60.00, and treatment can be a couple hundred more.
At 14 years of age, I would have had to ask my parents to absorb that cost, and the answer would have been a big, fat, "NO WAY!"
Not to mention that, as a parent, I'd be extremely uncomfortable with my young teen travelling 20 miles on a bus alone. Not nowadays. Too many bad things happen out there for that.
So, yes, I understand. You are not unwilling to take your snake to the vet, you are simply unable. And I've got 20-something years on you, and when my little Dekay's was sick a few months ago, I was also unable to take him to the vet, due to finances and transportation issues. (I don't drive either.;))
Only difference is, back then, I don't recall any replies coming my way with an accusing overtone to them, such as a few I've read in this thread. I was offered only advice and condolences. This change in tone bothers me, to say the least........:(
Best wishes.

jitami
08-11-2008, 10:29 AM
I'm so sorry to hear about your snake. Your situation is tough. Are your parents willing to help you with the snake? I know they work all day and aren't available during the day, but some vets stay open later, perhaps they could drop the snake off on their way to work, something like that. I know some parents would not be willing to do this or they may be unable to help financially. I can certainly understand that. Please let us know how the snake is doing today. I'm hoping for a miracle for you, but you may end up having to euthanize the snake to end it's suffering. Hopefully your parents can help with that if it needs to be done. ((hugs))

Odie
08-11-2008, 07:30 PM
Have you got a bike that is how I got around @ that age or ask an older friend for a ride :cool:

what7psp
08-13-2008, 07:43 PM
Also, for food you can get a fillet of freshwater fish (such as trout) from your local supermarket, and cut that into small strips for your snakey to eat.
it will only eat live fish....i relly want the snake to eat worms so i could put vitamins in it......oh and now my snake moved its tail is that good news....

what7psp
08-13-2008, 07:46 PM
How is your snake doing today? I hope you are lucky and see an improvement.
I can fully comprehend your difficulties with getting the snake to the vet.
I don't know about where you live, but around here, a 20 mile taxi ride is about $50.00. A preliminary vet exam is $60.00, and treatment can be a couple hundred more.
At 14 years of age, I would have had to ask my parents to absorb that cost, and the answer would have been a big, fat, "NO WAY!"
Not to mention that, as a parent, I'd be extremely uncomfortable with my young teen travelling 20 miles on a bus alone. Not nowadays. Too many bad things happen out there for that.
So, yes, I understand. You are not unwilling to take your snake to the vet, you are simply unable. And I've got 20-something years on you, and when my little Dekay's was sick a few months ago, I was also unable to take him to the vet, due to finances and transportation issues. (I don't drive either.;))
Only difference is, back then, I don't recall any replies coming my way with an accusing overtone to them, such as a few I've read in this thread. I was offered only advice and condolences. This change in tone bothers me, to say the least........:(
Best wishes.

kind of harsh...i was paniking....oh and my snake moved its tail and ate a fish..is this good news....

crzy_kevo
08-13-2008, 07:49 PM
that sounds like good news but i would still take it to the vet just to make sure it is fine or at least call one

Hornets23
08-13-2008, 08:05 PM
I would think that eating is a pretty good sign and hopefully so is the movement... I hope he continues to improve for you.

Snake lover 3-25
08-13-2008, 08:08 PM
wow i'd say ANY movement in it's back end would be a great sign..... maybe it was just swelling!!! good luck!!!:D

infernalis
08-13-2008, 08:18 PM
I myself would like to humbly apologize, If you had been more clear up front about the situation, these wonderful people would have reacted a lot differently.

Please don't judge the group for the misunderstanding, We ALL assumed you were an adult that just didn't want to go to the vet.

In all honesty, had I known, and you lived close enough, I would have offered to take the snake for you:D

Hope it pans out for the best....

Sincerely I do.

jitami
08-13-2008, 08:43 PM
Sounds like a bit of good news. Just keep in mind that it's still a very serious injury and all of the damage may not be evident yet. Just like when humans have internal bleeding, sometimes you don't know until it's too late. Not trying to scare you, but being realistic. I'm still hoping and praying that your snake makes a full recovery for you and I do think the eating and tail movement is a good sign :)

what7psp
08-14-2008, 12:17 AM
that sounds like good news but i would still take it to the vet just to make sure it is fine or at least call one

yea i should call one..would they charge me

what7psp
08-14-2008, 12:19 AM
I myself would like to humbly apologize, If you had been more clear up front about the situation, these wonderful people would have reacted a lot differently.

Please don't judge the group for the misunderstanding, We ALL assumed you were an adult that just didn't want to go to the vet.

In all honesty, had I known, and you lived close enough, I would have offered to take the snake for you:D

Hope it pans out for the best....

Sincerely I do.

apollogy accepded..people make mistakes...i've would reacded the same way......sorry for my spelling

GartersRock
08-14-2008, 12:20 AM
I apologize as well. It just sounded like you simply didn't want to the way you said it. Sorry.

what7psp
08-14-2008, 12:21 AM
wow i'd say ANY movement in it's back end would be a great sign..... maybe it was just swelling!!! good luck!!!:D

i hope it is...cheers

what7psp
08-14-2008, 12:22 AM
I apologize as well. It just sounded like you simply didn't want to the way you said it. Sorry.

thats ok....soon i'll be getting another one...this time i'll be extra carful if it escapes.....

what7psp
08-14-2008, 12:25 AM
Sounds like a bit of good news. Just keep in mind that it's still a very serious injury and all of the damage may not be evident yet. Just like when humans have internal bleeding, sometimes you don't know until it's too late. Not trying to scare you, but being realistic. I'm still hoping and praying that your snake makes a full recovery for you and I do think the eating and tail movement is a good sign :)

if i was a bit older i could drive a car i would defenetly take my snake straht to a vet..

drache
08-14-2008, 04:25 AM
it does sound a bit more hopeful for the little snake
the vet will probably not tell you much over the phone
at this point they may even tell you to just leave the snake alone and not handle it, if you brought it there
they may also tell you that they know nothing about reptiles
call them anyway - it's good to know what kind of vet you have "near" you
good luck for your little snake

anji1971
08-14-2008, 05:42 AM
Glad to hear he's starting to get some movement back. I'll keep my fingers crossed that it was just bruising and swelling, and I hope he's back to normal soon.:)

jitami
08-14-2008, 09:17 AM
if i was a bit older i could drive a car i would definitely take my snake straht to a vet..

I know you would :o

I just didn't want you to get your hopes up, just in case :( I agree, though, at this point you're probably doing what the vet would recommend.

Still thinking good thoughts and keeping fingers crossed for your snake...