PDA

View Full Version : Standing down.

adamanteus
07-30-2008, 03:17 AM
Hi Guys. After much thought and deliberation I have decided to stand down as Moderator, and become a regular member again.

I have found that over the past few weeks I have been enjoying the forum less and less, there is a marked change in the atmosphere that I'm just not comfortable with... the friendly ambience is fast disappearing. Recently, reading through the posts every day has become more of a chore than a pleasure. Add to this the pressure of work I will be under for the next few months. While I'm away I won't have access to a computer so I won't be reading all the posts, as I normally do. There are simply too many posts to come home to, and I will never catch up once I fall behind.

Personally, I feel that if I am not going to be around, not reading all the posts, not greeting new members, it's better that I'm not a Moderator. Our other Moderators may be comfortable with that, but I'm not.

We have three other Moderators who will now need to take the reigns a little bit more, unless Boots decides to appoint a new one.

So, thanks for putting up with me over this past twelve months.... I will now re-join the ranks!:)

Stefan-A
07-30-2008, 03:57 AM
I'm sorry to hear that, you've certainly been a great moderator. But I'm glad we won't be losing you altogether.

Lulu Bennett
07-30-2008, 04:13 AM
Aww James, not good news but i do understand why.
Welcome back to regular status again El Supremo :o)

reptileparadise
07-30-2008, 04:17 AM
Its defenitly a good thing you'll be staying around!
I hope you will keep posting when you have the time :)

drache
07-30-2008, 04:35 AM
welcome El Supremo
just as long as the forum doesn't go totally to the dogs
three other moderators? I'll be - at least two of them I hardly ever see around although I'd like to (I think I know who they are)
well I suppose we'll find out by the weekend how sunk we really are without our super moderator
. . . trying to be cheerful about this - not doing very well
I think "welcome el supremo" is the best I can do right now

Lulu Bennett
07-30-2008, 04:43 AM
I think that you have done a fantastic job, considering i don't think i even know who the other mods are. Boots needs to realise that the other mods need to be on here more or we just need new mods.

Sid
07-30-2008, 04:52 AM
James, you have done a great job this past year and I, along with many of the other members here know this very well and thank you for it. Positions like this are tuff and very demanding.

Thanks for all you've done and glad you aren't leaving all together.

zooplan
07-30-2008, 06:30 AM
James, hope we can read a lot more of your posts, even when you are a normal member like us.
I had some times in the past when I was not able to read an write.
A moderator should be able to keep an eye on the entirety, if thats impossible for you in the next month it´s the right decission.
Thanks a lot for the work you´ve done!

anji1971
07-30-2008, 06:43 AM
I'm sorry we'll be losing you as Moderator.:(
I've been thinking lately that if we didn't have you we'd have already gone to the dogs.
Hopefully it doesn't come to that.
But I'm glad you're still going to be around. I have also wondered how you've managed to balance out the demands of being a Moderator with your family and work life. I'm sure it got pretty crazy sometimes!

Gijs & Sabine
07-30-2008, 06:54 AM
I'm sorry to hear you're not a moderator anymore :( but I can understand your reasons. In my opinion you were the best we've ever had (or will have) !!
Thanks for everything you've done for the forum and I'm very happy you'll be staying as a member :).......what should we do without you ;)

btw. love your title !!! El Supremo !!

adamanteus
07-30-2008, 07:16 AM
Thank you for all the kind comments, I'm flattered. I have spoken to Boots regarding new Moderators, and I have made my recommendations. Hopefully we'll get a good one! I'm sure we won't 'go to the dogs'... it's up to us all to ensure we don't. It's been a great year, for the most part, but time now for someone else to have a shot at it.

@Sabine. Thank you! Big 'special' hug for you next weekend.;)

Gijs & Sabine
07-30-2008, 07:18 AM
@Sabine. Thank you! Big 'special' hug for you next weekend.;)

I'm looking soooo forward to it.......the hug ofcourse :D :D

count dewclaw
07-30-2008, 07:29 AM
Sorry we won't have you to moderate this forum anymore, but I think you made a wise decision. Glad you will still be around when you can.

jitami
07-30-2008, 08:24 AM
James, I'm very sorry to hear that. I do understand the reasons why and hope you will find more enjoyment in the forum now that it's not a chore that you have to tend to. ((hugs))

Snaky
07-30-2008, 09:31 AM
I always wondered how you managed to read all threads, I can barely read a few threads each day.
You really made the forum a home for newcomers, thanks for that! I don't think the forum would have growns so large it you wouldn't have been moderator. I'm glad you'll still stay, El Supremo :)

GartersRock
07-30-2008, 10:59 AM
You've been a great moderator! But I am glad to hear that you are stepping down and not continuing when you don't want to. ;)

Lori P
07-30-2008, 12:22 PM
James, of course you have to do what you feel comfortable with. It disturbs me to read: "I have found that over the past few weeks I have been enjoying the forum less and less, there is a marked change in the atmosphere that I'm just not comfortable with... the friendly ambience is fast disappearing"....

I guess anytime a forum grows, there will be more personalities, more clashes, and more disagreements. But I still say that this is the absolute best forum I've ever been on, because we do keep to a higher standard. I still challenge anyone to find a better group of people that, overall, respect and treat each other as well!! So I hope we can keep the forum going in the positive, educational vein it was always intended... and I hope you enjoy your time here more and more again.

crzy_kevo
07-30-2008, 12:25 PM
sorry to hear you won't be mod anymore you really were the best i think

oh and i thought that your new nickname was "the king of no life"

adamanteus
07-30-2008, 12:27 PM
i thought that your new nickname was "the king of no life"

I get my life back now, Kevin.;)

Garter_Gertie
07-30-2008, 12:32 PM
James, I'll miss you. But with what you have on your plate [new job], I would think being moderator would have to become a lower priority. But at least you're still going to be here, and that's GOOD!

Thamnophis
07-30-2008, 02:41 PM
I can see what you mean, James and I understand it completely.
Have been thinking to lay down my moderator-task too. Have not enough time to read all the topics. Too busy working etc.

So, if someone would like to take over...

adamanteus
07-30-2008, 02:47 PM
Et tu, Fons?

Stefan-A
07-30-2008, 02:49 PM
Who's left?

infernalis
07-30-2008, 02:50 PM
James I have been thinking of what to say for the whole day now.

You were the first to greet when I joined, I always looked to see when you were online, and one of the first replies I looked for.

Glad your sticking around, so at least # 2 & #3 above still apply.:D

Best wishes on whatever life brings....Vivo El Supremo!

adamanteus
07-30-2008, 02:50 PM
Who's left Stefan? Boots, Cazador.... and I haven't gone quite yet. Standing down, not stood down!;)
@Wayne. Thank you.

lestat
07-30-2008, 03:22 PM
Thanks for all you have past on to me. Hope to see your replies still.
This is a very good site as it deals with my favorite snakes.

Thamnophis
07-30-2008, 05:49 PM
If you, like me, have not the time to log in on a daily or two daily base and cannot read most of the topics because there is no time left in my life for it... the only thing to do (for the forum) is to lay down your task.

There must be others who want to take over I think.

Let Boots work it out.

aSnakeLovinBabe
07-30-2008, 06:59 PM
I has a sad :(

adamanteus
08-01-2008, 12:05 PM
Recent 'developments' have caused the situation to change somewhat... I'll be sticking around as your Moderator.

reptileparadise
08-01-2008, 12:09 PM
Thats very good to hear James! (or should we call you "Sir James"?)
I'm glad you're still enjoying the forum!

GartersRock
08-01-2008, 12:10 PM
Thats good news!! And I hope not bad news... ??

jitami
08-01-2008, 12:36 PM
Yippie!!! :D

James you really do a fabulous job here. Thanks for all the hard work. Hopefully it won't become a chore again anytime soon! :)

infernalis
08-01-2008, 02:23 PM
Recent 'developments' have caused the situation to change somewhat... I'll be sticking around as your Moderator.

I must have scared the poor man:eek:

anji1971
08-01-2008, 03:19 PM
James would you make up your mind already???:D:D
So glad to hear it...........this place really wouldn't have been the same with anyone else in your place.

adamanteus
08-01-2008, 03:27 PM
James would you make up your mind already???:D.

Mary, Mary quite contrary......:D

Stefan-A
08-01-2008, 03:29 PM
Mary, Mary quite contrary......:D
Do you know who Andrew 'Dice' Clay is?

adamanteus
08-01-2008, 03:31 PM
Is he a forum member?:D

Stefan-A
08-01-2008, 03:34 PM
Is he a forum member?:D
Sure, why not. :D

jitami
08-01-2008, 04:54 PM
No, he was banned for life :D

adamanteus
08-01-2008, 04:58 PM
Was he banned for his profanity and sexism, or for being totally unfunny?:D

Garter_Gertie
08-01-2008, 05:21 PM
James, glad you're still around weilding (did I spell that rite?) your whip. You're needed. Thanks for all you do, the headaches you put up with - as well as my tangents. You're a good guy and help make this place what ittiz.

I will try and behave so as to make your job easier.

adamanteus
08-01-2008, 05:48 PM
Thank you Gertie, I appreciate that, but you've never been a problem to me.:)

infernalis
08-01-2008, 05:51 PM
Was he banned for his profanity and sexism, or for being totally unfunny?:D

D. all of the above

Lulu Bennett
08-01-2008, 07:15 PM
Awww James, i was hoping to take you job on here! so selfish! hahahaha you could not pay me enough to put up the agro lol welcome back James, you are needed very much!
You have helped me alot whilst i have been here and i have learned alot.
:D

count dewclaw
08-01-2008, 09:22 PM

That sounds so mysterious...I hope they are good developments. Welcome back Mr. Moderator.

Bill
08-02-2008, 02:29 PM
James, I'm glad to hear that you are not standing down. I am new around here so I can't honestly congradulate you on the fine job you seem to be doing. But I don't think I would be out of line in saying that for what I have seen. I can honestly say so far so good. I really enjoyed our discusion on snake genetics. I have to say you put up a good arguement. Top knotch! I also think that if there is this much confusion on it maybe something can be done about it. At least here in the classifieds. Listing a caramel as a A melanistic (caramel) or (snow). Just a suggestion. Anyway, I'm glad to hear your staying on. I have yet to hear a bad thing said about you. Thats rare these days!

Stefan-A
08-02-2008, 02:33 PM
Recent 'developments' have caused the situation to change somewhat...
That can't be good.

adamanteus
08-02-2008, 02:36 PM
Thank you for those words, Bill, you're very kind.:)
On the genetics question... yes, we had a great debate didn't we? Lively, slightly 'heated' but safe, polite and friendly throughout... I loved it!:D
I wouldn't want to be the one, though' to tell members how they can and can't describe their snakes for sale. As I said in the other thread, I know very little about snake genetics and the correct naming of phenotypes. I think we must trust the honesty and integrity of our members.

adamanteus
08-02-2008, 02:37 PM
That can't be good.

It's good.... Boots doubled my salary!:D

Stefan-A
08-02-2008, 02:39 PM
It's good.... Boots doubled my salary!:D
You deserve every penny. :D

GartersRock
08-02-2008, 03:26 PM
[quote=adamanteus;71225]
On the genetics question... yes, we had a great debate didn't we? Lively, slightly 'heated' but safe, polite and friendly throughout... I loved it!:D
quote]

Yes. That discussion stayed within very good levels!! I loved it as well! :cool:
My vocabulary was changed for life! :p

Garter_Gertie
08-02-2008, 03:39 PM
Lucky, you 'Ster. I'm still in the dark and dumber than a box o'rocks. HOWEVER, I am learning and hopefully will one day be edjumacated. (Well, I can't get any stupider! LOl!!!)

Bill
08-02-2008, 05:33 PM
Oh don't put yuorself down Gertie. I just asked if my snake was a possible hypo and bam! That one took off all over the place. The fact is snake genetics are on a hole new level and getting worse. with this double het for this and that. I think the scientific community really hasn't kept up. It's mostly fairly small breeders that are coming up with this stuff and in thier basements. I live about 5 miles down the road from New England Reptile Distributers or NERD"s. Kevin Mckurly ior McCurly Not sure of the spelling is now producing ball pythons with over 6 of these recessive traits and they look nothing like ball pythons. So sometimes things don't always fit into a neat little package. I have been breeding reptiles and amphibians for going on nine years now full time but I don't breed snakes so I haven't got that deep into it because you can't inbreed chameleons to start with but when a snake pops out a oddity the first thing you have to do is isolate it by breeding the son back to the mother and the daughter to the father. then you have to fix the gene pool so you breed those back to plane ones and produce hets. Then you breed the hets together and out pops some oddities and some double hets and some plane ones. Then the plane ones get sold as double hets or66% het and on and on . So have I cleared this up for you or do you need a beer as bad as I do!

adamanteus
08-02-2008, 05:41 PM
Oh...... now I have another headache!

Lulu Bennett
08-02-2008, 05:48 PM
....Bill i think i need a beer after that lol

reptileparadise
08-03-2008, 03:10 AM
Make that 2 Lulu...

drache
08-03-2008, 04:59 AM
not a beer, no . . .
definitely something though - extra stiff tea?

glad you're staying on to keep us on track, James James

enigma200316
08-03-2008, 06:30 AM
Sorry I'm late, but here's the beer anyway...........:D
http://content.sweetim.com/sim/cpie/emoticons/00020285.gif (http://www.sweetim.com/s.asp?im=gen&ref=10)

adamanteus
08-03-2008, 07:07 AM
Justin, we're gonna need a whole lot more!:D

Pinky
08-03-2008, 07:51 PM
I haven't been on here as much as when I first joined but I definitly appreciate the help you have given me with Mr. Pink, it has helped spawn my interest in snakes that I had lost for some time!Hope to still see you around James!:)

aSnakeLovinBabe
08-03-2008, 07:54 PM
I has a sad :(

yay!!!! now I has a happy!!:)

Snake lover 3-25
08-05-2008, 08:39 AM
wow i missed alot..... but now i'm confused!!!!! are you standing down james???? :(

Stefan-A
08-05-2008, 09:36 AM
He's not.

"Recent 'developments' have caused the situation to change somewhat..."

Snake lover 3-25
08-05-2008, 09:44 AM
yay!!!!!!:D

thanks i really got confused partly bc i accidentally skipped that page:o

Stefan-A
08-05-2008, 09:45 AM
Well, I only have two. ;) Makes it easier to find what you're looking for.

Snake lover 3-25
08-05-2008, 09:46 AM
lol yeah..... but i hate scrolling down!!!!!:eek:

Stefan-A
08-05-2008, 09:47 AM
Suit yourself. ;) :D

Sputnik
08-05-2008, 11:10 AM
Flip! What a rollercoaster! I was just getting ready for a heartfelt sad but supportive reply, though while I was still struggling to find the right words I found out that the panic was over anyhow. Phew! Glad you're hanging around, James. You are what makes this forum so lovely, I know how much work it is to protect us from the evil Spam monsters, etc. :)