PDA

View Full Version : Using Members' Names

Garter_Gertie
07-28-2008, 07:16 PM
James, why do you insist on using the correct names of new comers? I find it offense and I'm so glad you did not use mine.

If these people wanted to acknowledge who they are, I'd think they'd register with their given names. I, for one - because of my history and personal life - would rather not banter my given or usual name about.

Just because you know it doesn't mean you've been given permission to use it. So why do you continue to do so? I think you're taking advantage of your position.

Do you ask people first if you can address them by their given names, or would they rather you use their 'handle'?

Tori
07-28-2008, 08:42 PM
I feel that this would be better handled in a private message rather than out in open forum. Since James has always done this to every one of us and obviously no one else has complained until you. To me that makes this a personal problem and has no business here. If I'm wrong and other's also object than you all have my apology for interfering.

infernalis
07-28-2008, 08:46 PM
Odd I was very pleased to be addressed as Wayne, even if there are thousands of other Wayne's in the world.

Felt very personalized and warm.

ssssnakeluvr
07-28-2008, 09:21 PM
yikes!!! a lot of us use our names and not our member name.... I dont have a problem with it.... :cool:

Stefan-A
07-28-2008, 10:30 PM
It keeps people a bit more honest and I guarantee that people start to think a bit more about what they write. I think it's good that people are woken up from the illusion of anonymity when they come here.

I'm sure glad I kept my first name a secret. :rolleyes:

Stefan-A
07-28-2008, 11:31 PM
So...your name isn't "Stephanie"?????:eek:
Please, call me Yog-Sothoth. :rolleyes: I also answer to the name Jah.

zooplan
07-29-2008, 12:01 AM
I agree to Yog-Sothoth´s first statement.
My nic is a kind of tradition but my official name is no secret, because I´m
integer.
You (all) are invited to google for my first name, and see who I am!
udo - Google Search (http://www.google.com/search?q=udo&rls=com.microsoft:de:IE-SearchBox&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=ie7&rlz=1I7GGLD)

adamanteus
07-29-2008, 02:11 AM
Actually I think it's nice that we know each others' names. It's more open and friendly, and makes for a warmer and closer atmosphere.
The reason I started to greet people by the first name is because for the first 6 or 8 months as a Moderator I didn't realise that I was the only one who could see the names when a new member joins. The reason I didn't greet you by your real name is because you didn't provide it, GarterGertie.
No one has complained before, but of course if they did I would edit my post to remove their name. If they don't like it, they can tell me themselves, I don't think they need you to champion them. I haven't used your name, so what's the problem?
I notice you addressed this thread to James, and not to adamanteus.

reptileparadise
07-29-2008, 03:42 AM
Just like Yog-Sothoth or Udo, I don't mind if people adress me with my real name. In fact, most forums I subscribe to these days (not a lot, but if I do so) I actually use the username "Sjoerd van Veen"
I actually like it when people call me Sjoerd instead of Reptileparadise of crazy reptiles or van_veen456 (just a bunch of forum names).

Lulu Bennett
07-29-2008, 04:11 AM
I am sorry GarterGerty but i agree 100% with James. I was actually online and talking to him when he discovered he was the only one that could see members names.
It had become obvious that you have a personal issue with this but i don't believe he has ever used your name. This is because you never provided it.
I don't understand why you thought you needed to bring this up when it doesn't involve you.
I perfere people to use my name. if i didn't i wouldn't have given it at any point.

Stefan-A
07-29-2008, 04:21 AM
Now let's be fair, I think it's pretty natural to object to something that you perceive as wrong, even if it doesn't involve you.

Lulu Bennett
07-29-2008, 04:24 AM
But a private message would have been better.

Snaky
07-29-2008, 05:18 AM
It's actually already discussed some while back
http://www.thamnophis.com/forum/site-feedback-suggestions-questions/2122-names-anonymity.html

I don't have a problem with it and I also think that it helps with creating a friendly atmosphere. Just my 2 cents :)

Garter_Gertie
07-29-2008, 07:19 AM
Thank you all for your input. Yes, I probably should have made private but I thought if I thought it others might have, too, and I chose to jump in feet first in case there were others that felt as I do.

I agree 100% about names being used and us becoming friends. That was not what I was getting at. I don't use names until I'm comfortable with someone - James. :) Or I give them nicknames.

It was the using of a given name right off the bat before any type of relationship had formed. That's what bothered me. And as you can see I must now be comfortable here as for quite sometime here I've gone by the 'name' I've been called for about 25 years.

James, thanks for your expliantion. I appreciate your answer to something that bothered and confused me.

FWIW, I'm not a 'ceral' killer. I became a statistic when I was involved in a domestic assault. Consequently, I became a different person and constant nightmares, fear and sometimes even terror visit me daily. So it is personal, Lulu. Very much so and I got the answer I was looking for.

GartersRock
07-29-2008, 11:39 AM
I personally liked it. ;) But to each his own!
I use my name now when I am on "other" forums. But here. When I signed up a couple years ago, I didn't. Now I wish I could. ;) And there is no room for my name on my sig. lol!!

adamanteus
07-29-2008, 05:18 PM
I think I see a concensus here.... so I will continue to greet new members by their names. I'm sure they will let me know if they disapprove! I feel it is this personal and friendly approach that sets our forum apart from the other 'nasties' out there.

GartersRock
07-29-2008, 05:23 PM
Cool! I agree!

bio6464
07-29-2008, 06:00 PM
:D:D:D:D:D
Jerry

Hornets23
07-31-2008, 10:31 AM
Just wanted to apoligize for the "serial killer" comment. I was just playing but I can see how it would come off as jerkish. My apoligies gertie.

Garter_Gertie
07-31-2008, 10:34 AM
Hornets, that is so very sweet, nice and mature of you. I really appreciate it, you've given me a warm fuzzy, and your very polite and matue apology is happy accepted, sir!

THANKS!!!

infernalis
07-31-2008, 10:53 AM
Yes, and Gertie I too would like to apologize for going all silly.

Glad James removed it!

Sometimes my comedic side overrides my common sense.

Garter_Gertie
07-31-2008, 12:13 PM
DK, aaaawwwww. Thanks. No apology necessary. Your silliness was not directed pointedly at me. You just took advantage of others' comments and played off those. At no time were you malicious and/or directed it towards me. But nice of you to apologize. Just further proves the kind'a guy you are.