PDA

View Full Version : Im new, and my snake is sick...

a_idoux
07-24-2008, 06:15 PM
I caught a wild garter snake about two years ago, i think to be an eastern garter...im not sure... when i found him, he had a bad cut and i nursed him back to good health, eating well, shedding, good behavior... but now he refuses to eat, and two small lumps have appeared in the past week, they appear to be beneath the scale, and are about 8 inches from the tip of his tail... the scales are discolored, from the normal black, and appear a faint grayish...they are just slightly elevated, but abnormal...i have read that puss can accumilate, or that a parasite can burry beneth the scales...does anyone have any ideas or suggestios? thanks a lot...later i will make another post and add pictures...but still, thanks.

crzy_kevo
07-24-2008, 06:25 PM
what i would do is take the snake to the vet and they can determine exactly what the cause is

oh and welcome to the forum

adamanteus
07-24-2008, 06:26 PM
Hi Alex, and welcome to the forum.:)
What you describe certainly sounds like a subcutaneous parasite... pictures would be helpful once the forum software alows you to post them. A vet visit might be a good idea.

Lori P
07-24-2008, 06:27 PM
Welcome Alex, sorry you joined under these circumstances! I think, too, you may need to see a vet. But do send pics so we can have an idea of what you're dealing with.

Garter_Gertie
07-24-2008, 06:29 PM
Get to a vet immediately. Now.

And welcome.

infernalis
07-24-2008, 06:30 PM
Welcome Alex, My snake had the same issue, The VET fixed it right up.....:D

jitami
07-24-2008, 06:31 PM
Welcome Alex! Sorry you're snake is sick. Hopefully it won't be anything too serious.

a_idoux
07-24-2008, 06:32 PM
thank you, i am not sure exactly how to add images, but i will try dragging and dropping the image here in the reply box... i live in the country, and finding a 'snake' vet is rather difficult for me, i live near the st. louis areafile:///H:/DCIM/177CANON/IMG_7723.JPG...but a vet should not be too difficult to find...thanks

a_idoux
07-24-2008, 06:34 PM
yes. so go to a vet asap. right, i will try to post pics. but im not exactly sure how... thanks for the quick replies..file:///H:/DCIM/177CANON/IMG_7723.JPG

adamanteus
07-24-2008, 06:35 PM
The anti-spam software won't let you post images until you've made a few more posts.... then the 'upload photo' button will appear.

a_idoux
07-24-2008, 06:40 PM
i shall just continue to post on here then, thanks adamanteus....
when i first saw the lumps I was shocked, all of my other snakes have never had health issues and they are a few years old...and this garter is still quite small for garters go...
i shall take him to the vet immediately, i had hopped that there might be a simple solution, like bathing him or an ointment, but the vet will work just fine...again, thanks for the advice

a_idoux
07-24-2008, 06:47 PM
I have another question, I keep my 2 cornsnakes and my black rat snake in the same room (separate cages except for the corns...) as the garter snake, should i move their tanks to another room? preform any type of quarantine or matter to prevent this from spreading?

Lori P
07-24-2008, 06:48 PM
Keep us posted on what you find out. One of our members just had a snake with a lump and it turned out to be an abscess that did require treatment and antibiotics. Hopefully you can find an exotic vet not too far from you. :-)

Garter_Gertie
07-24-2008, 06:48 PM
Soaking him as you wait to get into your vet appointment is not going to hurt at all, idoux. Not one bit. Keep doing that.

adamanteus
07-24-2008, 06:50 PM
I have another question, I keep my 2 cornsnakes and my black rat snake in the same room (separate cages except for the corns...) as the garter snake, should i move their tanks to another room? preform any type of quarantine or matter to prevent this from spreading?

Separate tanks should be fine, as long as you practice good hygiene.

a_idoux
07-24-2008, 07:03 PM
Well it looks like I know where I am going this weekend...Vet shopping...
When going to a vet, how should I transport him? Keep him in the cage he is in now, or use a shoe box, smaller aquarium?

anji1971
07-24-2008, 07:39 PM
Hello and welcome!
I hope everything turns out alright for your snake. Best wishes.:)

Stefan-A
07-24-2008, 09:54 PM
Welcome aboard, Alex. :)

Lori P
07-25-2008, 05:30 AM
Alex, I use a small sterilite container with lots of little tiny holes in the top. And I put deep bedding in it so the snake can stay in hiding until the vet is ready to see it. Helps the snake, and helps the other people in the waiting room who are NOT snake people. :-)

zooplan
07-25-2008, 05:59 AM
welcome on the forum:)

infernalis
07-25-2008, 06:33 AM
Well it looks like I know where I am going this weekend...Vet shopping...
When going to a vet, how should I transport him? Keep him in the cage he is in now, or use a shoe box, smaller aquarium?

We transport with a small plastic tote box, one that is completely opaque.

Same reasons, no one knows what is in the box, until we reach the exam room.:D

drache
07-25-2008, 03:12 PM
welcome to the forum, Alex and good luck for your snake
for transport I tie my snakes into something like an old pillow case and then I put them in an open container which I can carry in a tote bag or even my backpack

Odie
07-26-2008, 04:04 AM
Hi< from Oregon, Alex :)

what i would do is take the snake to the vet and they can determine exactly what the cause is

oh and welcome to the forum