PDA

View Full Version : An Idea

crzy_kevo
07-13-2008, 01:38 PM
ok i was walking home from work when i had a great idea
i was thinking of an easier way to find a male garter so here is my idea

a male snake trap

ok all it is, its a big tote with some holed cut in the top and u put like grass clippings or whatever for a substrate and all the things that a snake needs then you take one of your female snakes and put it inside you then take it to an empty field of tall grass or leave it in the woods or wherever you find your snakes and leave it there rigged up so there is no way out out of the tote but can be easily gotten into by snakes
then you leave it there for like a day maybe even leave some fod in there

anyways onyone think this can work

bio6464
07-13-2008, 02:02 PM
Kev, just curious...how would you set it up so the male can get in but not out? In theory I suppose it COULD work, I'm just not sure about the logistics of such an idea...interesting concept though.
Jerry

crzy_kevo
07-13-2008, 02:05 PM
ok well make sure the tote is tall enough for the snake to not be able to climb out you can test this by putting your own snake in to make sure and to make sure they can get in set up some boards or sticks on an angle towards the top of the tote so they can climb up and then go in the hole to get to the female

bio6464
07-13-2008, 02:21 PM
Gotcha...it would have to be a TALL tote to keep my escape artists in. I haven't seen 'em do it but I think my garters are related to Spiderman the way they climb in their enclosure. :rolleyes:
Jerry

crzy_kevo
07-13-2008, 02:24 PM
ya and the snake you put in the trap you would have to be willing to lose just in case you never know what could happen to it in 1 day

infernalis
07-13-2008, 02:43 PM
Gotcha...it would have to be a TALL tote to keep my escape artists in. I haven't seen 'em do it but I think my garters are related to Spiderman the way they climb in their enclosure. :rolleyes:
Jerry

http://www.reformedsniper.net/snake/spot.jpg

http://www.reformedsniper.net/sn/sm.jpg

crzy_kevo
07-13-2008, 02:46 PM
ya that would be a problem but checkers has never clinged to the glass plus i think she is a little too heavy for that to work

infernalis
07-13-2008, 02:50 PM
The only flaw in your plan Kev, your gal would need to be "in heat" (poor use of term) producing pheromones that would make the males want her.

If she were making the right smells, your tote would fill up with boys, who have no desire to leave.:D

crzy_kevo
07-13-2008, 02:52 PM
ya i know and there is no way to tell if the snake is in heat eh (unless you have a male im guessing) but then you wouldn't really need this trap unless you were trying to find a bunch of males to pick out one with the best color

infernalis
07-13-2008, 02:54 PM
yes you can tell if they are "ready"

The acceptance of males occurs primarily right after brumation.

crzy_kevo
07-13-2008, 02:56 PM
ya sorry should have been clearer i meant say in summer there is no way to tell right?

infernalis
07-13-2008, 03:15 PM
Right...

They are either already gravid, immature for breeding, or just so butt ugly that all the garter beer at the saloon will not even make em pretty:eek:

crzy_kevo
07-13-2008, 03:19 PM
lol wayne alright well it sounds like an interesting project for the spring

crzy_kevo
07-13-2008, 03:36 PM
so does anyone else think this might actually work or have any better suggestions?

Garter_Gertie
07-13-2008, 04:34 PM
I'd try it. (shrugs shoulders) Like you said you'd have to use a female it wouldn't break your heart to lose and to me that would be any female I owned.

You'd have to do a reverse trap, like on minnow traps, where they can get in and not out. Not so much for the boys that will delireous with delight, but your female.

I also think you'd have to camaflauge it REALLY WELL so the butt-wipes in the world don't find it, tear it apart and hurt your snakey. You know? I'd also shoot for a weekend end when I wasn't in school - oh. You work. That's rite. - when I wasn't at work so I could camp out and/or check on it every couple o'hours to make sure the butt-wipes hadn't found it.

Garter_Gertie
07-13-2008, 04:36 PM
Kevie, do you think Einstien and DaVinci asked folks, "Does anyone think this would work or have any better suggestions?"

Try it. All you're out will be time invested and a few bucks to make the cage.

ssssnakeluvr
07-13-2008, 04:39 PM
generally they breed in the spring....they don't attract males after that....you can try, but these snakes make Houdini look like an amateur!!

crzy_kevo
07-13-2008, 04:39 PM
ya well i think i might try it next spring i know a few places i might be able to put it that should be safe
i actually have a friend that lives next to one of my hunting area's (the area i found checkers in) and i could problably just leave it in her back yard for a day or so

dashnu
07-13-2008, 04:41 PM
I think the chance of losing your female is higher then gathering males.. I would be a bit interested in hearing the outcome though :p

ssssnakeluvr
07-13-2008, 04:42 PM
I think the chance of losing your female is higher then gathering males.. I would be a bit interested in hearing the outcome though :p
I agree....best thing to do if yoiu want a male is just go out and start hunting until you find one....which can be a lot of fun!!!

crzy_kevo
07-13-2008, 04:44 PM
ya although my luck has only brought me checkers in over a month of searching
however i will still continue searching until its time for them to hibernate for the winter
who knows maybe i will get lucky

Garter_Gertie
07-13-2008, 04:45 PM
Don's recommendation sure sounds a lot easier, Kev...

crzy_kevo
07-13-2008, 04:48 PM
i know but i think i might let checkers go in the spring anyway so either way if i do this and she escapes im not heart broken if i do this and i get to pick through a dozen males then its a success and i find the perfect mate for george

Garter_Gertie
07-13-2008, 04:51 PM
You are such a sweetie. I love the way you love George. Kiss her for me.

crzy_kevo
07-13-2008, 04:53 PM
lol will do and she is my pride and joy