PDA

View Full Version : The Dreaded Cricket Diet.

aSnakeLovinBabe
07-11-2008, 04:45 PM
So... I would defiantely say that there is one thing worse than when people feed the snake they found some goldfish. Yup, I am talking about the cricket diet. The diet that causes their snake to slowly starve to death, without them even knowing what is happening! I am not sure where this rumor started up that garter snakes eat crickets... but it is a very wide spread one!

Yesterday, I was bagging crockets for a man and his son and I just happened to hear him utter the word snake. So I politely chimed in- Oh, you have a green snake! "no, we have a baby garter snake"! I almost dropped the bag of crickets.

I said... sir garter snakes dont eat crickets. I could instantly see the concern he expressed. He said... are you sure??? I said, yes, I am POSITIVE. And I said are you SURE you have a baby garter? He said yes, my son found it in our yard. So I said to him does it have a heavily checkered pattern? He said no, it doesnt actually have any pattern at all! I said, you msot likely don't have a garter...

He asked me if he could bring it in and I said absolutely! Within 10 minutes he was back, I was happy to see that he actually cared very much about getting the -proper- help with this snake. Sure enough, he had a baby Dekay's Brown Snake. A leeeetle guy at that. I said yup it sure isnt a garter! They guy was bewildered, he had taken it to another pet store where a man ID'ed it as a garter snake and told him it ate crickets. After my explanations of how this little snake is different from garters, and what the proper diet and housing is for both garter's and dekays the guy bought some more stuff.

I then took a good look at the snake, to find that it is very underweight, his back end is limp-ish, hangs there like a noodle. He mentioned they were going on vacation for a week and at that moment I knew this little snake would not last without my help. I informed him that the snake was in poor condition and asked if I could take care of it and try to get it to a full recovery while he and his family were away... he hastily agreed, I am so glad. I could tell that he was very livid that the other pet store mis-informed him as much as they did. So now I have this leeeetle noodle for a snake, offered him some worms and a leeeetle slug, but no luck. I think he may be too stressed out from being kept in a cage outdoors and having 20 small crickets dumped on him every week for 3 weeks straight (they were escaping but they guy thought he was eating them). I am seriously considering syringing him some egg yolk if he doesnt eat by tomorrow night.

I also told him about all of my baby garters, and I told him that as long as he promises to follow the caresheet I provide him that I would GLADLY give him one or two. He seemed very, very, relieived to be able to talk to someone so expierienced and I am just very glad that I spoke up when I heard the word snake. I told him that their diet includes a little bit more than the dekays snake and he seemed happy to hear that. He actually seems very concerned for the little snake, he was highly understanding(such a relief when so many people dont give a ****) and he even convinced his son who was highly upset about his snake not coming on vacation with him that "she is a doctor and she said your snake is not well because the guy at that other store told us some bad information and she is going to try and make him all better for you!" then the little boy smiled at me and was like "Promise to bring him back, okay?!?! we will be gone for SEVEN DAYS!!!" I said yes I promise that as long as he gets better that I will bring him back, along with a new baby garter friend also.

So, I am going to provide them with a caresheet, and I am going to give them the BEST eating baby or two i have, and hopefully, introduce another family to the wonderful world of garters... the right way... thiaminase and red wriggler worm and cricket and mealworm free!:D

Lori P
07-11-2008, 04:50 PM
Well done Shannon!!!! (Applauding) And that's the way to make a difference in the world... one person at a time!! Keep us posted on the little dekay's, ok? I hope he makes it...

gregmonsta
07-11-2008, 04:51 PM
I'm glad he came to your shop!!! :)

infernalis
07-11-2008, 04:53 PM
Shanon, Good luck with that dekay.... I'm here if you need me.

ssssnakeluvr
07-11-2008, 04:54 PM
Excellent job!!!!! wish more people at pet stores were that good!!!!

adamanteus
07-11-2008, 04:59 PM
Coincidence.... We got a 'basic' snake book from the library today for Molly (she's 4 years old). There is half a page devoted to Garters, the young of which apparently eat insects! One author just seems to plagiarise the mistakes of some previous author, and so the misinformation is perpetuated.

Sid
07-11-2008, 04:59 PM
:DWat to go, Shannon:p

jitami
07-11-2008, 06:02 PM
Nicely done Shannon! Cool that dad was so concerned and understanding, too. Keep us posted on the little Dekay.

Garter_Gertie
07-11-2008, 07:07 PM
Shannon, I love you. You are my role model. You are my heroine (Did I spell that rite?). May I some day know enuff to do what you have done. Bless you.

anji1971
07-11-2008, 07:13 PM
That's wonderful Shannon!
It makes me so happy when I see people in the right places at the right time to help others. And when those others are so willing to be helped, it's even better.
Best wishes for the little Dekay's............hope he's gettin' fat and happy by the time they come back for him!

drache
07-11-2008, 07:16 PM
good going Shannon
and what a fortunate meeting for all concerned

Snake lover 3-25
07-11-2008, 09:00 PM
great job shannon!!!! sounds like you were just in time!!!!!:D

infernalis
07-11-2008, 10:40 PM
Here is a cranial x-ray of your average reptile associate at your average pet store.... (present company excluded)

http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:X1lnCBTDXh5zjM:http://sleevage.com/wp-

ssssnakeluvr
07-11-2008, 11:11 PM
HOMER!!!!!! :cool: I agree.....and I love the simpsons!!!!

SpyrotheGartersnake
07-12-2008, 03:57 AM
way to go Shannon!

Stefan-A
07-12-2008, 04:05 AM
Another story I managed to miss. Well done, Shannon. :)

Lori P
07-12-2008, 06:05 AM
LOL Wayne... very accurate representation!!!

crzy_kevo
07-12-2008, 11:37 AM
good job shannon

Zephyr
07-12-2008, 12:13 PM
Whoo! Go Shannon!
May want to put him in a container with some sod with tons of baby slugs. ((AKA the "Wayne" treatment. XD))

lestat
07-12-2008, 01:16 PM
Thank god you were in the right place at the right time other wise that snake would never have had a chance and they might have gone and done the same to another snake. At least the man to his credit cares anouth to let you help him and not carry on regardless. I have never heard of garters eating crickets in my life until hearing on hear. How was this stupid rumour started.

KITKAT
07-12-2008, 02:12 PM
I sure hope the little one eats for you , Shannon!

infernalis
07-12-2008, 02:16 PM
Rumours are easy to start, there will always be that one example that defies the norm.

http://www.onetruemedia.com/media/11/964d7d78cde1c247/bc3b782f2f7cbb07_large.jpg

Zephyr
07-12-2008, 02:20 PM
Whoa whoa whoa!
What's going on THERE?

infernalis
07-12-2008, 02:23 PM
Taken sheer moments before mr corn spit it back out.

Zephyr
07-12-2008, 02:30 PM
lol
Which leads me to believe that eye sight may override sense of smell occasionally in snakes.

aSnakeLovinBabe
07-12-2008, 04:15 PM
Well... little Mister Dekays still has not eaten anything... but the good news is, I had him in a small container over night that had paper toweling and water in it in hopes to rehydrate him. That worked, his back end no longer looks sickeningly depressed and he looks exactly like a mini dekay's now. he's a little more spunky too!

eyesight absoultey overrides smell in snakes that see well. Ra, my king rat snake... acts purely on sight when it is food time.

If i flutter my hand near his cage like a bird... his eyes turn into little slits and he SHOOTS out of his hide with his mouth wide open!!! tries eating me like you would not beleive :D

crzy_kevo
07-12-2008, 04:17 PM
lol thats pretty cool

aSnakeLovinBabe
07-12-2008, 08:47 PM
oh and also I will try that tomorrow!

KITKAT
07-13-2008, 12:32 PM
If i flutter my hand near his cage like a bird... his eyes turn into little slits and he SHOOTS out of his hide with his mouth wide open!!! tries eating me like you would not beleive :D

Might he take a worm from forceps?

aSnakeLovinBabe
07-13-2008, 08:09 PM
There i was talking about my king rat snake.... he is 6 feet long... worms are not a very practical food for them :D