PDA

View Full Version : Screen Tops/Lids

jitami
07-10-2008, 01:24 PM
I'm wondering how many of you convert aquariums to terrariums and what type of screen lids you use. Is one type more secure than another? They're not too expensive, but could you make your own? Do you use the standard metal clips and are these sufficient?

Sly's tank was made for reptiles and the lid slides into place & locks with a little pin, but there have been so many inexpensive aquariums in the classifieds lately. The guy is being a little flaky, but I should have 55 & 29 gallon aquariums to pick up tonight :) I'm in no hurry, so if the guy flakes it's not the end of the world, but if he comes through I'm getting both for $30 :D

Lori P
07-10-2008, 01:29 PM
WOW, GOOD deal!!!!!! All of my snake tanks are converted aquariums at this point. So far, I've not had trouble with the screen tops from the pet stores-- except for when Squiggles escaped-- and now they are all weighted down with bricks, rocks or books! Or all of the above, lol!! I've not bought the clips for these tops but am considering it.

I know others on here have made their own tops and they've turned out really well. Hope you get those tanks, great price!!

crzy_kevo
07-10-2008, 01:29 PM
sweet deal currently i am using basic window screen cut to size and duct taped in place until i can build a wooden frame to attach the screen to and for easy access i have a hole cut in the center of the screen away from any climable objext and with duct tape around the seems of the hole so it is a nice sealable flap

count dewclaw
07-10-2008, 01:35 PM
I use converted aquariums. I have found the clips are NOT strong enough to keep a snake in (they work for non-escape-artists), so would recommend just weighting down the screen tops as Lori does.

I have gotten my tanks either from freecycle.com (local area) or Craigslist (also local area). Freecycle you have to "wade" through alot of posts, but you do find some tanks now and then...

Oh, I found a 10 gal. with screen top at Salvation Army for $3.50!

Stefan-A
07-10-2008, 01:36 PM
It's not so hard to make one yourself. I've made a few of screen tops for ex-aquariums, glass terrariums and wooden terrariums. The wooden ones have been held in place by friction and the weight of the lamp, but I've used duct tape as well as the weight of the lamp on some of the other lids. It worked well as long as you remembered to change the duct tape often enough.

I have been keeping an eye open for old aquariums at flea markets, but no hits so far.

brigitte
07-10-2008, 01:37 PM
i use the screen tops from the pet stores and the clips you can buy for them also and havent had a snake escape yet[knock on wood]. on some of the larger tanks i use 4 clips instead of 2.

jitami
07-10-2008, 01:42 PM
Thanks guys!

Keep your fingers crossed. He said they're mine, but I could tell there was a bit of hesitation. We'll see tonight I guess. I really only wanted the 55 and he threw in the 29(btw, is there even such a size?) for $5 :D

count dewclaw
07-10-2008, 01:45 PM
I really only wanted the 55 and he threw in the 29(btw, is there even such a size?)

Yes, that is a tank size. I forget the dimensions at the moment....

jitami
07-10-2008, 01:52 PM
Thanks LeAnn, I didn't find it on any of the standard size sheets, but I figure it has to be decent sized.

So any of the pet store screens weighted down should work? Cool :cool:

I've looked at a couple of DIY sited to build your own tops. Looks pretty easy but unless you were building several at a time it's probably just as inexpensive to buy one at the pet store.

crzy_kevo
07-10-2008, 01:59 PM
it would cost me like $30 to buy one at my pet store when i can just pay $12 for screen and scrap wood for free

anji1971
07-10-2008, 02:01 PM
Isn't it strange how everything in Canada is twice as much as in the states? Or more?
When I found my 20G with the screen top included for $40, I snatched it up immediately!

crzy_kevo
07-10-2008, 02:02 PM
ya thats a good deal

Lori P
07-10-2008, 02:06 PM
A 29 is the same length and width of a 20 long, but twice as tall.

Sid
07-10-2008, 02:13 PM
Tami, I make the majority of the lids I use on aquariums my self. I prefer 3/8 inch thick plywood, cut it for a snug fit to the inside diminsions of the top rim so it rest on the lip. I use duct tape across the back to both secure it and as a hinge. Use "store bought" lid clips. Cut out the top and staple screen wire to it . You can add a frame around the screen for apperence or not, your choice. Hole thing takes about 20 minutes. See photo below:
http://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//585/medium/aquarium_lid.JPG

Hope this helps.

jitami
07-10-2008, 02:13 PM
That would be a good deal here, too, Anji. 6 years ago, Sly's 20L with a screen top was about $80 new. Not sure what they are now, but $40 seems like a very good deal. 55's on craigslist have been running anywhere from $50-$150 the last few weeks.

jitami
07-10-2008, 02:18 PM
Thanks Lori! More climbing room is always good!

And thank you Sid! Very nicely done! I could totally do that! :)

infernalis
07-10-2008, 04:34 PM
Nice deal on those tanks, Very nice deal.. Hoe you get them.:D

sschind
07-10-2008, 05:07 PM
I have never had a snake escape using the store bought lids with the metal clips as long as the clips are bent enough to make it tight. I have always found that relying on weight to hold a lid down is an accident waiting to happen. Sally needs the dictionary and suddenly squiggles can push the lid up or Billy jumps up 20 pounds in his bench press so there go a couple of weights and now sir squeeze a lot has more than enough strength to pop the top. Besides, I prefer my snake room to be a little more organized and all my tanks are in shelving units that don't have a lot of clearance. I would not use them for very young snakes though as they do tend to like to lay on the lip of the aquarium and the corners do have those infernal gaps All my young snakes stay in deli containers until large enough to go into tanks.

jitami
07-10-2008, 06:09 PM
Thanks for the advice sschnid! Mine will be in my living room so I wasn't crazy about the books/bricks/weight idea, but I'm all for whatever works. If the clamps work well enough, I'll go that route, but I do want babies next year, so I'm going to be a little paranoid until I'm sure they can't escape!

jitami
07-10-2008, 09:23 PM
Tanks are on their way home with hubby :) He says they need to be cleaned and that the 55 has two small chips but they're just little chips and not cracks or holes. They're right next to each other on one of the long sides, so that'll be the back. No biggie :) especially for 25 bucks!

I'm going to soak them in bleach, scrub them down, and then start planning what exactly to fill them with :D

Loren
07-11-2008, 01:11 AM
Home made lids(5/8" high grade fiberboard with 1'4" hardware cloth stapled underneath), encylcopedias, and bricks. No worries about someone moving my weights, as my reptile room is locked, and I have the only keys.
It doesnt have to look unorganized if you do them all the same(I know, I'm missing some encyclopedias in this pic) :)
My larger tanks use larger bricks. I have about 35 tanks set up this way, and I can make sure they are all secure in about 15 seconds by scanning the line-up of bricks.

This is an old pic, I have replaced of alot of the soda box hides with black plastic ones. I hope to start adding plastic plants soon too.

http://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//500/medium/uses_for_bricks_and_encyclopedias.JPG

jitami
07-11-2008, 09:19 AM
Cool, thanks Loren! It looks like most of the tops just rest inside the tank on that little lip instead of going around the outside like most of the commercial lids. I like... and would be easy... still not crazy about the bricks in the living room, but I'm sure I could figure out something that would work and look ok.

As I look around the living room at the destruction from my son's sleepover last night... ummm, ok, maybe a few books and bricks wouldn't make a darned bit of difference! lol

OH, and we have this half wall, cut out, thingy between the dining room and living room, and I need to make a little shelf to sit on it/ rest over it and then the 55 will look stunning there! I'm so excited :) Sly will get the 29 as soon as I get a lid made/bought for it. Then I'm hoping I can pick up a future breeding group of babies to put in the 55 next year. Or maybe adults who can make me babies next year? I dunno, but it's going to be fun! :)

OH, one more question... if you've made it this far!... I have a large piece of driftwood that was too big to fit in my oven. What is the best way to prepare it for use in the tank? Can I soak it in bleach in the tank, since I'm soaking the tank anyway?

Thanks guys!!!

KITKAT
07-11-2008, 09:25 AM
A chunk of quartz or granite looks nice as a weight for tops.:rolleyes:

anji1971
07-11-2008, 09:30 AM
I'd try a boiling water soak, then let it dry out thoroughly. The boiling water should kill off anything living in it. I'm not sure if bleach wouldn't absorb into the wood though. May not be good for the critters climbing on it later.

Oh, and just an idea...........
If the tanks are in your living room, try searching around for decorative bookends, paperweights, and even large rocks with pretty colours to weigh down your tank lids. There are tons of attractive, heavier objects that could add a little charm as well as function!:)

Lori P
07-11-2008, 09:57 AM
Anji's full name, by the way, is Anji Martha Stewart. :D

jitami
07-11-2008, 10:17 AM
Awesome Mrs. Stewart! Thanks!!! :) :p :)

anji1971
07-11-2008, 07:39 PM
Sigh................
I guess I asked for that one.:rolleyes:

Loren
07-11-2008, 08:26 PM
It looks like most of the tops just rest inside the tank on that little lip instead of going around the outside like most of the commercial lids. I like... and would be easy... still not crazy about the bricks in the living room, but I'm sure I could figure out...

OH, one more question... if you've made it this far!... I have a large piece of driftwood that was too big to fit in my oven. What is the best way to prepare it for use in the tank? Can I soak it in bleach in the tank, since I'm soaking the tank anyway?

The lids do sit in the lip. I like that a lot, because the snakes can no longer hide in that lip, and it also cuts down their ability to push on the lid dramatically. In aquariums, Snakes in the 1-2 foot range get the most "push" out of wedging their bodies into that gap, and pushing with their whole bodies. Now the snakes have to push all the way from the cage floor.
I use thick enough wood that they do not flex- so when there is weight in the middle, the whole lid is secure.
I used to worry about how to clean the wooden lids, but I noticed that my snakes never crap "up". :) If you dont get the lids soaking wet, they should never warp.
There are other options to lock the lids down, if you get creative. You can put half moon type locking pins in the four corners that grab the underside of the lip when turned one way, and clear it when turned 180 degrees opposite. Just an idea I have seen used before. (I know this might be hard to picture).
You could also use a couple metal or wood strips under and above the tank(one on each end), with all-thread and wingnuts squeazing them together, thereby holding the lid down.

I found bricks were much easier:).
On feeding day, I can get in and out of 35 cages super fast. I lift the lid a couple inches, and use my 24" long hemostats to reach a mouse to the snake, even if its toward the back of the tank- and I'm out again and off to the next one.
I use larger bricks for larger snakes.

On the wood- I suppose you could soak it in bleach- just dont mix it too strong, then rinse it well, and soak it in fresh water for an hour after, and allow it to dry for a few days. I did that once, and it seemed to work.

jitami
07-11-2008, 09:50 PM
Thanks again Loren! I really appreciate all of the advice!!!

Garter_Gertie
07-12-2008, 04:45 AM
Tami, put hydrogen peroxide in a squirt bottle and soak the hell outta the wood. Kills germs and turns into just plain old water. :D

Snakey Lakey
07-15-2008, 04:08 PM
The lid for my Great Basin gopher snake's tank is weighted with four 46 oz. pickle jars of water. The tank is on a desk in our living room. The tank measures 4 feet long, 13 inches front to back, and 20 inches tall (outside dimensions); would this be a 55 gallon?

Prettier weights could probably be developed using vases filled with sand, gravel, BBs, shot, etc.

I also use water filled jars to weight down the tops of my rat cages.

jitami
07-15-2008, 04:16 PM
Yep, that's a 55 gallon. Thanks. I have a couple of those pickle jars around, too :) I was talking to my husband about it and he remembers visiting his mom at one of her boyfriend's houses when he was little(long story) and they had a 6ftish boa in a tank with a giant brass buddha weighing down the lid :) I guess it had gone missing for months before the buddha was added. Isn't it funny the things that stick in our memory and the things that don't?

Loren
07-16-2008, 12:28 AM
Hi Snakey Lakey. You bring up some good ideas- how about clear plastic(less-breakable) jars with sand and seashells for weights? That wouldnt look too bad. ?

drache
07-24-2008, 03:52 PM
I do use some of my heavier books on the lids as well
I like the sound of those wood framed screen tops
when I have more time, I may work on some of mine, but for now I'm set

bio6464
07-24-2008, 10:48 PM
My wood frame lid was relatively easy to make. Now I need to work on a hinge/latch system to make the more pleasing to the eye.
Jerry

snakesRme
11-02-2008, 02:00 PM
Hello everyone. About a month ago, I rescued a Colombian Red Tail Boa. She had been badly neglected; her substrate was full of bugs, she was thin from not being fed properly and she was just not a happy girl. Since we cleaned her up and started feeding her, her disposition has become much better and we are able to handle her with no problems. Yesterday I bought her a new aquarium (55 gal, up from the 20 long she came with -- she's about 3 feet long). It's a brand new aquarium, complete with regular aquarium lid. The old cage has the regular reptile screen top, but the hubby thinks its not good for holding in moisture. She did have her first shed with us and it didn't come off all in one piece as it should. Would it be okay to keep the regular aquarium top on her new viv I will set up, or should we get her a screen top? I am going back and forth with this and don't know what to do. We live in Florida, so you'd think moisture wouldn't be a problem, but...

Any thoughts?

Stefan-A
11-02-2008, 02:14 PM
Welcome aboard.

I'd recommend a screen top. Most aquarium tops aren't going to provide enough ventilation.

Garter_Gertie
11-02-2008, 02:24 PM
Screen top and then cut plexiglass to cover half of it. Note: Make sure you put the light on the screen end and NOT the plexi end! :)

infernalis
11-02-2008, 03:18 PM
The humidity in Tampa is perfect for your Boa. A screen top would be best Just as Stefan said.

Lucky Snake:D

jitami
11-02-2008, 05:07 PM
Welcome! Just wanted to add that the incomplete shed could have been due to her poor condition and the bugs. Especially in Florida I don't think you'll need to worry too much about humidity :)

infernalis
11-02-2008, 06:01 PM
While on this subject I wanted to point out that I recently got some interesting covers off ebay.

The 20 long covers have 3 lock knobs that actually hold it on quite nice.

They also have a very fine mesh on the screen, so if you have any of Kyle's roaches, they would be a great cover.

The 10 gallon covers set down IN the ridge around the top, and have 4 small knobs that slide locks up under the lip.

The 10 gallon covers also have 2 round ports so they can have hamster tunnels added. (for feeder mice or pets)

There is also a metal recess for a UV lamp for use with lizards. (Or any fluorescent fixture for light)

And the best part, cheaper than less interesting covers at the store.

Garter_Gertie
11-03-2008, 06:44 AM
In FL, I'd find out how others are or are not providing humidity. Running the AC will pull moisture out of the air - if have and run AC. Use a what? Hydromitor? so you know exactly what your humidity level is. If I'm not mistaken the humidity level needed is about 75-80 percent, which it well could be outside but I don't think that's what it will be in the house.

snakesRme
11-03-2008, 07:42 AM
Thanks for the input everyone! I never thought about the fact that her messy shed could be because she had been neglected -- makes sense. I'm ordering a screen lid right now. I found one that has a little door that looks convenient. When I finish building her viv, she should be a happy girl indeed.

crzy_kevo
11-03-2008, 07:45 PM
another idea for humidity is the exoterra fogger just place it in a deep bowl of water and it makes a fog cover the bottom of the viv brett uses one to keep up the humidity in his ball python tank

snakesRme
11-03-2008, 08:36 PM
Crzy, I thought of that, too. I am getting a waterfall with fogger. I have huge plans for a pretty viv, it'll just take a few weeks to complete because of the money factor. :rolleyes:

drache
11-04-2008, 03:13 AM
will balls use a damp hide when provided with one?

infernalis
11-04-2008, 05:41 AM
Cain has shown no preference toward the "damp" end of his 55 gallon.

Because he sloshes a lot out of his water bowl, one end of his tank is repti bark & eco earth mix. This absorbs spills and releases the humidity into the tank slowly.

The other end is aspen, Dry and fluffy.

Cane always settles in on the dry aspen end.