PDA

View Full Version : Breeding enclosure

Zephyr
07-09-2008, 07:02 PM
K, so when I warm my snakes up in March they'll be residing in a breeding enclosure with in my basement. Seeing as I want it to be easy to maintain and re-usable, I'm going to make it so I can place barriers and divide it up for each of the species to stay in.
The dimensions for the actual floor of the enclosure should be either 4x or 5x the width of a newspaper for the length and the length of a newspaper for the width. This will make cleaning very convenient. I want to use plywood or some other wood for the largest side as well as the barrier pieces, unless there's a better way to create the length, and for the short sides I'll be using screen. I'm thinking drilling holes in the wood for ventilation, as the top will be non-metal screen. The whole thing's a bit vague, but I need help with dimensions. Also, should I make each of the dividers with a screen so that air and light can flow through the enclosure? As opposed to the holes in the sides of the long bit?

infernalis
07-10-2008, 05:24 AM
I just read over your whole plan, nice idea but I think it's a lot of money and space for something that can very easily be done with a few totes.

Once the snakes have locked up and done the deed, just move them back to the original enclosures, and rent the room to the next lucky couple.

After breeding, the totes can be cleaned out, and used for the babies.

And after that, stack em up till next season.

Or simply frame up a rack, slide the totes in, and boom instant breeding facility..

I'd just let the girls "spend the night" with the intended stud at his crib.:D

crzy_kevo
07-10-2008, 05:31 AM
think of it like a motel room lol

Zephyr
07-10-2008, 06:23 PM
I just read over your whole plan, nice idea but I think it's a lot of money and space for something that can very easily be done with a few totes.
Um, actually, my cost estimates only put the whole thing at around $40, which would be a little less than if I were to buy totes.
Plus, it would be large and reusable, and better yet with the dividers I could "cut it up" in all sorts of way!

infernalis
07-10-2008, 10:01 PM
Well, thats the thing, it's your project!

Thing is if I built something as nice as what you described, I'd have some good looking adult snakes in there, and it would be in the living room!

Make sure you post pictures when it's done.

I got you some slugs, and will get the remainder in the morning.

PM me your shipping info, and I'll return mine to you.

I want to get these slugs to you so you can feed those babies :D

Lori P
07-11-2008, 05:17 AM
Kyle, did you ever post pics of your outdoor enclosure when it was finished?? I want to see!!

Snake lover 3-25
07-11-2008, 09:23 PM
oooo oooo me too!!!!!:eek::D