PDA

View Full Version : new enclosure items

crzy_kevo
07-04-2008, 06:20 PM
ok so on monday i am getting a 30 gal tank for george one of my main concerns is for heat since i have ac what wattage of bulb should i get and what kind my local pet store has too many to choose from

ive narrowed it down to a blue incandesant daylight bulb that doubles as a heat lamp(i dunno that is what it says on the box light&heat)
or a 100 watt spotlight bulb im not sure which would work best so if everyone can post what orks best for them with a description then i can know what to get
thanks every1:D

anji1971
07-04-2008, 06:25 PM
I just use a heat pad on the bottom of the tank. Eastern garters are pretty content at just room temp with a nice warm spot to choose if they need it. I use a plain old desk lamp for light, you can use a compact fluorescent bulb in the summer, and switch to a regular 60 watt in the colder weather to add a bit more heat in the tank. I actually find mine are more active when it's in the 70's for temp, rather than 80's or higher.

crzy_kevo
07-04-2008, 06:30 PM
i like the heatpad idea but they are more expensive than a bulb and i don't have a ton of financing so ya

but i will keep it in mind :)

aSnakeLovinBabe
07-04-2008, 06:31 PM
I ahve noticed the same... I have heating pads under my garters... and none of my easterns ever use them!!! theyre always on the cool end... I even checked to make sure its not TOO warm... they simply seem to prefer room temps! I am sure they sneak some heat at some point though :p

anji1971
07-04-2008, 06:31 PM
Fair enough! They can get a bit pricey.:)

aSnakeLovinBabe
07-04-2008, 06:32 PM
I provide basking lights for my gravid girls though... and they bask... all... day... long!

along with extra worms... and foot massages... and back rubs :rolleyes:

anji1971
07-04-2008, 06:33 PM
I ahve noticed the same... I have heating pads under my garters... and none of my easterns ever use them!!! theyre always on the cool end... I even checked to make sure its not TOO warm... they simply seem to prefer room temps! I am sure they sneak some heat at some point though :p

They seem to use the heat only for a while after a big meal.
And considering I find the wild ones out and about in the spring as soon as the temps hit 60, I guess they really do prefer the cooler weather!
And, yeah, looking back,
Chili was on that heatmat for the whole time before she had the little ones!

crzy_kevo
07-04-2008, 06:34 PM
ya especially for the larger one that a 30 gal tank may require but it sounds like i should get a bulb that doesnt put out too much heat and try and keep the temp on 1 side at maybe high 70's
it is currently like 67-68 degrees in the apartment and it can get quite cool at night in here so maybe a infrared heat lamp?

aSnakeLovinBabe
07-04-2008, 06:35 PM
If you have a basking area that gets close up to the light... I would use like a 75 watter. If its some distance from the light to the cage bottom... I would use a 100 watter to one far side in a 30 gallon. Is it a 30 long or high? Be careful that the light fixure does not focus the heat into a supertight beam when using high wattage, it can possibly burn your garter if they get too close to the light and lay in one spot for too long.

crzy_kevo
07-04-2008, 06:35 PM
actually i forgot to ask so i am hoping it is a high cuz i know garters like to climb

crzy_kevo
07-04-2008, 06:36 PM
and as well george love basking george usually sits on top of her hide basking all day

you guys are giving me good ideas tho

aSnakeLovinBabe
07-04-2008, 06:37 PM
Infrareds are fine... I jsut dont find them attractive.. I hate the red light... I like to light up my cages during the day! its just personal preference... you could also use a ceramic heater! they dont give off any heat and they last for YEARS!!! seriously I have a few that are like 3 years old... and they still are going strong! they may be expensive but its basically a one time buy, they dont need replaced for years.

crzy_kevo
07-04-2008, 06:38 PM
sorry i forgot to mention i was gonna use the infrared for the night time cuz it can get down to like 60 or lower in my apt at night
and the red light wont be a big bother at night like a spotlight will
i have seen those ceramic heater didn't know how well they worked tho thnx for letting me know :)

aSnakeLovinBabe
07-04-2008, 06:40 PM
oh I gotcha! yes that will work wonderfully then!

whichever method works for you! :D

anji1971
07-04-2008, 06:42 PM
As long as the red light doesn't bother you, it should be fine. To be honest, I've never really thought about nighttime lighting, since the heatpads are always on. But without them, I guess your idea works too!

crzy_kevo
07-04-2008, 06:42 PM
i still have the auqarium light that should work for light during the day it shouldn't warm up a 30 gal too much at all so i can keep it on the cool side

anji1971
07-04-2008, 06:44 PM
The aquarium light should be fine, Kevin. It'll add a bit of warmth but not too much.
I personally like to have my tanks lit up all day, just to make them a focal point, I guess.

crzy_kevo
07-04-2008, 06:45 PM
oh ya while out herping the other day i found the perfect hide for george its a big piece of wood from the trunk of a tree the inside is all rotted out and it has a good curve to it im problably gonna prop it up on a rock a little bit and it should be fine after i bake it
it was a real score find next best thing to finding a snake

crzy_kevo
07-04-2008, 06:46 PM
ya i like mine lit up too

i cant believe no1 else has contributed to this post its wierd lol

anji1971
07-04-2008, 06:46 PM
It's sounding good! Can't wait to see pics when it's all set up and ready!:)

crzy_kevo
07-04-2008, 06:48 PM
oh ya its gonna be really nice im gonna have to bake alot of my natural substrate though (thats gonna take forever) then there are a bunch of big rocks and branches across the street in the forested area so it should look pretty good

Garter_Gertie
07-04-2008, 06:53 PM
I provide basking lights for my gravid girls though... and they bask... all... day... long!

along with extra worms... and foot massages... and back rubs :rolleyes:

Damn! To be preggers and live with YOU. If only I could!

crzy_kevo
07-04-2008, 07:00 PM
on that note of the substrate here are some pics of it
http://img78.imageshack.us/img78/8985/picture016vo8.jpg
http://img93.imageshack.us/img93/7607/picture017az4.jpg
http://img73.imageshack.us/img73/5412/picture018pv1.jpg

it looks really wierd right now but its outside and wet after baked bone dry it turns a lighter brown and the powdered bits sit at the bottom of the tank

Garter_Gertie
07-04-2008, 07:00 PM
Winnie basks on the warm rocks under her lite after she eats. In the winter she snuggles up to her heat pad, which is on the side because I was worried about the park's book case.

I've been watching my setup and I don't know how I'm going to go. I've a heat pad and light - a 100w squiggly, twisty, new fangled - and I've no AC. So at any given time I can go w/o both or use one or the other, or neither. I'll just have to check and keep a close eye on things.

Like, until about 1:00 PM today it was in the high 70's in the tank. Then went to the low 80's. But it got down into the like low 70's last nite...

I'm just going to have to REALLY watch my tank.

crzy_kevo
07-04-2008, 07:08 PM
i think i might get a timer for the light too because i am lazy :P

crzy_kevo
07-04-2008, 07:12 PM
does any1 else have any ideas for tank lighting/heating

infernalis
07-04-2008, 07:16 PM
Kevin, you don't need to worry about the 60 in your apartment, it would have to get really cold in your apartment to even make a garter snake sniffle.

Think about it a minute, George lived outside.. Tropicals and exotics are temp sensitive, but garters are not, some even live in Alaska.

A cheap 50 watt reflector bulb from dollar general will generate more than enough heat, and that is with an open mesh top, we use a 50 watt in our Savannah Monitor enclosure, and it raises the basking area to 130 degrees, that would be lethal to George.

I use the same dollar bulb to keep the Anoles at 80, with an open mesh top, you can hang the reflector lamp from a ceiling hook, swag style, and raise it up even more, and then put your log or stick under it, the snake can climb up to reach the heat.

crzy_kevo
07-04-2008, 07:18 PM
thanks wayne you made some good points

Garter_Gertie
07-04-2008, 07:30 PM
I'm still looking for a good hollow log hidey thing for my two tanks. Hoping to find someth at the park and Dave will let me bring it home...

crzy_kevo
07-04-2008, 07:31 PM
you can buy them but i prefer to find them :D

Garter_Gertie
07-04-2008, 07:35 PM
Rite now? The Boys would be begging for ice cubes. "MOMMA!!!!" Ittiz 82 in their tank w/zip, goose egg, nada, zero pad/lighting.

crzy_kevo
07-04-2008, 07:46 PM
wow thats warm with nothing in it

Garter_Gertie
07-04-2008, 08:03 PM
Hay, ya'll! I'm down here in the south. No AC and on the upper level of a duplex.

Minnesota. Greatest place in the world for varying temps. Can get to over 100 in the summer and -60 or more in the winter. International Falls is usually colder in the winter than most of Alaska. Go figure.