PDA

View Full Version : tumors

ssssnakeluvr
07-03-2008, 01:59 PM
My valley garter is getting old...she has a tumor on her head... she is in good health otherwise, feeds real well. she is probably over 10 years old. I have had her for 5 years now. she had was gravid and had babies the year I got her. she hasn't bred since. I think she may be too old for it now. I don't want to put her down yet because she isn't showing in signs of pain or having any other health problems and has good body wieght...if she starts to go downhill, then she will be put down.

http://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//504/valley_girl_1.jpg

http://www.thamnophis.com/thamphotos/data//504/valley_girl_2.jpg

she is still feisty and appears ok, but looks kinda bad. she is also a large female, around 34 inches long.

Snake lover 3-25
07-03-2008, 02:01 PM
awww that's sad..... can't a vet do anything about it????:confused:

ssssnakeluvr
07-03-2008, 02:05 PM
possibly, but at her age, surgery can be risky, they recommended putting her down when it starts to cause any odd behaviors or her health starts to deteriorate. she's my only valley garter left from my home town area in Idaho, which coincidentally is in Valley county!!!! :eek:

Snake lover 3-25
07-03-2008, 02:07 PM
awww that stinks.... do you have any of her young???

ssssnakeluvr
07-03-2008, 02:12 PM
no, they are all long gone! hopefully next summer I can get back up there and get another pair.

Snake lover 3-25
07-03-2008, 02:19 PM
awww i hope you find some!!!:D

jeanette
07-03-2008, 02:41 PM
well at least you are giving her a good quality of life and know that when she starts to suffer then you will ease her passing.

jitami
07-03-2008, 02:47 PM
I think that is reasonable Don and I appreciate you sharing her picture with us...

Lori P
07-03-2008, 02:54 PM
I'm glad she's in your care, Don, and that you'll give her the dignity of putting her down before she suffers. She is a beautiful girl!!

drache
07-03-2008, 03:02 PM
that looks so nasty
it must be hard to see her decline

ssssnakeluvr
07-03-2008, 03:48 PM
it looks worse than it is...she is still alert, healthy (other than the tumor..), and very feisty. Once she starts to go downhill, she will then be put down.

crzy_kevo
07-03-2008, 03:54 PM
aww poor girl glad shes not in any pain

gregmonsta
07-03-2008, 04:13 PM
It's a sad thing but she had the best of care with you :)

Garter_Gertie
07-03-2008, 06:33 PM
She probably has no idea what's going on with her eye as it's been gradual. But for the tumor, she looks GREAT! Good color, alert, 'happy,' and a good size. It's like a dog that has to get it's leg amputated for whatever reason - they don't know they're three-legged. And they adjust fine and continue to be happy and gimpy! :D

It is sad she had to get a tumor as no tumor is good. But this is better than a liver, kidney, etc., tumor. She may continue to live a long life as long as the tumor is external.

You are definitely doing the correct thing, Don. Why put down a dog with three legs when s/he's happy and adjusts? Good job. Give her my love.

anji1971
07-03-2008, 06:37 PM
She is a pretty girl, Don. Hope you get a good, long time out of her yet before you have to make any sad decisions.
How long has she had the tumour? If it's slow growing, she may not be in any danger for quite a while. Let's keep hoping!

ssssnakeluvr
07-04-2008, 06:35 AM
She probably has no idea what's going on with her eye as it's been gradual. But for the tumor, she looks GREAT! Good color, alert, 'happy,' and a good size. It's like a dog that has to get it's leg amputated for whatever reason - they don't know they're three-legged. And they adjust fine and continue to be happy and gimpy! :D

It is sad she had to get a tumor as no tumor is good. But this is better than a liver, kidney, etc., tumor. She may continue to live a long life as long as the tumor is external.

You are definitely doing the correct thing, Don. Why put down a dog with three legs when s/he's happy and adjusts? Good job. Give her my love.

funny you mention a 3 legged dog.....I have a 3 legged cat!!! she was born with 3 legs! she is about 12 years old and gets around as fast as any other cat I have had!!!
she has had the tumor since last fall...not real fast growing but is growing. It doesn't seem to bother her either, not affecting her sight....

ssssnakeluvr
08-07-2008, 01:46 PM
She finally passed away this week...she didn't eat for the first time since I have had her and I went out and found her dead in her cage. she was still feisty last time I fed her and didn't show any signs of pain or suffering...she never bit, but would come shooting up out of the cage when I opened it, very active!!!

crzy_kevo
08-07-2008, 01:54 PM
well that is unfortunate but you did mention she was problably 10 years old so it was problably her time

sorry for your loss don find a nice place to bury her:o:(

jewel-dragons
08-07-2008, 01:54 PM
bad news... sorry for that...

maybe the tumor was growing inside the head?

ssssnakeluvr
08-07-2008, 02:01 PM
I am pretty sure it was growing inside also...tumors can be nasty!!!

Stefan-A
08-07-2008, 02:09 PM
It's a real shame.

zooplan
08-07-2008, 02:11 PM
sorry for your loss, Don.
Did you inter her or did you give her to your vet for dissection?
One of my red sided females passed away because of a tumor two years ago, she spend her last weeks in the care of Daniel and was part of a vetenary study than.
I now remember that I still not have seen the report about her.

ssssnakeluvr
08-07-2008, 02:23 PM
she was buried in my backyard graveyard....anyone with kids and pets has one! it has been real hot hear lately and she passed away during the night I guess....I went out for my daily check (have 4 gravid garters...still waiting....) and could smell something dead. It was warm in the room and she was a bit smelly....so she joined my other various family pets

jitami
08-07-2008, 04:09 PM
So sorry to hear that Don...

drache
08-07-2008, 06:52 PM
I'm sorry that she passed, Don

Lexa
08-08-2008, 04:16 AM
I'm really sorry for your loss. At leas you can take comfort in the fact that she reached a good age and had a great life with you.

Snake lover 3-25
08-08-2008, 11:21 AM
I'm so sorry for your loss...... she was a beauty

anji1971
08-08-2008, 06:39 PM
Sorry to hear the sad news, Don.:(
I've wondered about her on and off since you first put up this topic. Glad that she didn't seem to be suffering, though.

ssssnakeluvr
08-08-2008, 09:51 PM
thanks everyone! I am glad she didn't seem to suffer....was feisty and active right up to the end!!!